amber teething necklace - yay or nay? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Did an amber teething necklace help your LO through the woes of teething?
YES!! 2 40.00%
Nah, didn't notice anything different. 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It appears that my DS has his lower canine teeth coming in and he's having a tough time of it.  I really don't want to give him tylenol and/or motrin due to food allergies (corn byproducts, etc.) so I was thinking about the amber teething neckaces.  If your LO wore one (or wears one), does it help?  If it does help, how long do you have to wear it to see results?  Thanks bunches!!

#2 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We got one when DS was 3 months and he wore it until around 10 months or so (I forget when), until he kept pulling it off. I have to say, I never noticed any difference. Teething has not been all that bad for him though, both with and without it. But hey, it looks so cute so why not just try it?

As for the tylenol and ibuprofen, do they always have corn products? I would look for one without, because for the very few nights when he was teething and screaming in pain, I was very grateful to be able to gave him something for it.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 05:08 AM

i couldn't tell that it actually did anything.  we did give otc pain relief when needed.  however, it was pretty adorable.  i'll buy one for my next kid on the cute factor alone.

you're supposed to have them wear it next to their skin constantly, fyi.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#4 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 AM

I got an amber necklace and one of the SmartMom necklaces as gifts.  One of my girls did better with the amber and the other rejected it in favor of the Smartmom. Before I would resort to OTC, I would use everything in my "teething bag of tricks". 

#5 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

i couldn't tell that it actually did anything.  we did give otc pain relief when needed.  however, it was pretty adorable.  i'll buy one for my next kid on the cute factor alone.

you're supposed to have them wear it next to their skin constantly, fyi.

This exactly. He's worn his since 4 months and is 24 months now. 

I have a toddler! 7/27/09
#6 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 02:39 PM

i got one from our nearby cloth diaper store, and it did ok - i needed to give OTC medicine here and there, but my ds ripped it and a friend gave us an Inspired By Finn necklace and that thing is amazing! i took it off for his bath and my ds was drooling like crazy and was so uncomfortable. once it was back on, the drooling stopped and he was happy again :)

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-27-2011, 02:57 PM

My son has been wearing his adorable amber necklace since he was 3 mo old.  We take if off during baths and sometimes at night (if he tugs on it.)  Since we bed-share, I don't worry about sleeping with it.  He still wakes a lot during the night, but I have no idea if this is from teething or simply a developmental reason.  Still, he has never had a crying spell from teething and I've never, ever given him otc pain relief.  So I say, YES!, it helps.  

According to the Inspired by Finn literature, the lighter colored beads are more potent than dark, and raw beads are more potent than polished.  So, if you're going to buy one to try and relieve discomfort (and not just looks alone - they are darn cute), then perhaps try a light yellow raw necklace.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page