Glass Sippy Cup - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I'm posting here instead of Life with a Babe bc I figure more of yall would have sippy cup experience. DS is about to be 6 mos. He never took a bottle but will drink milk from a "trainer" sippy cup. I used that plastic one that someone gave me, but I feel bad. I would like for him to have glass if he's going to start drinking from it more regularly. 

I found these http://www.lifefactory.com/kids/9-oz-sippy-top.html and I'm wondering has anyone has had experience with them? It doesn't have the handles that his has, but maybe he can hold on to the outer rubber part. What do you think, is glass really worth it or am I being overprotective? I know he can't avoid plastic his whole life, but at least now I would like to minimize his exposure.

Thanks for your wisdom winky.gif

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't tried the glass but we use the metal kleen kanteen bottles. Ds really likes them - we keep 3 around, one in bed, one in our bag when we're out & about & one extra. At home he he generally drinks out of a proper glass.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 7 Old 08-03-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

I've seen those... does it make drinks other than water taste funny? 

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 AM

I have stainless steel sippy cups and love them. No change in taste. Just remember to avoid aluminum. You want stainless steel.
#5 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've never noticed a taste to ours but we don't put anything in them but water. The only other liquid ds gets is milk & he drinks that from a real glass. I've known too many people who have lost sippy cups of milk under the couch for 2 weeks & at the cost of the kleen kanteens they're not exactly disposable!

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#6 of 7 Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

I've never noticed a taste to ours but we don't put anything in them but water. The only other liquid ds gets is milk & he drinks that from a real glass. I've known too many people who have lost sippy cups of milk under the couch for 2 weeks & at the cost of the kleen kanteens they're not exactly disposable!

yes to the nasty cup under the couch!

We use kleen kanteen sports topped when we are out and about.  At home he has always drank from a real, adult cup without a lid.  Yes, sometimes he wants to dump it out, but you've gotta learn some time to just drink from a regular old cup.  Now he hates sippy cups, and wants me to unscrew the top and drink out of them like a proper cup. 

He started with the regular glass cup at about 5 or 6 months old.  Montessorians often use shot glasses  blush.gif

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#7 of 7 Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM

We use the Life Factory sippy bottles.  DD is 22 months.  We also used Dr. Brown's glass bottles before.  We've never had problems with the glass, such as breaking.  I don't know about holding the LF bottles at 6 months.  When DD was younger, I let her drink water from a regular glass with me holding it and her "helping."  But now for running around the house I like the LF bottles.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page