DS Will Go Potty at Home and Only With Mom or Dad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is recently three and has had access to the potty for over a year now.  In the past couple months we've gotten more consistent about trying to use the potty every time he has to pee/poop.  He's now in underpants all day until bedtime.  The thing that's frustrating is that he only seems comfortable going potty at home.  He did use a restaurant toilet (with DH's help) back in February, but otherwise, he won't entertain the idea of going potty elsewhere.  My parents recently bought a little on-the-toilet potty seat for their house, but DS doesn't want to use it.  Additionally, he has said he won't go potty with anyone other than me or DH.  We've been working on this since one or both of my parents is at our house babysitting at least once a week.  I think there have been two times (one recently) that he actually used his potty while DH and I were not here and his grandparents were here.  Other times he just pees in his underpants when they're here.

This obviously makes staying in underpants tricky if we're going to go out n' about.  He'll be starting preschool (3 mornings a week) next month.  He's not expected to be toilet trained by then, but it seems silly to send him to school in diapers when he's been wearing underpants during the day for a few months.

Any ideas about how to help him be more comfortable with expanding his potty experience range?

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#2 of 8 Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What do you use as a potty at home? Is it something that can easily come with you? We used a basic seat reducer & for a couple months I brought it everywhere with us which made the transition to peeing other places easier for him - 'cause at least the seat was familiar. I also made a point of showing him there was a bathroom whenever we went somewhere new as soon as we got there. This was a bit time consuming but I only had to do for a few weeks before he really understood that there would always be a toilet available.

As for the other people thing - could you try transitioning that you & grandma bring him to the bathroom a few times & then grandma brings him with you in the next room, etc.?

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#3 of 8 Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

I don't have any advice but am going through kind of the same thing.  Our toddler is very interested in wearing underwear and using the potty. He's been doing great at home with us but doesn't want to go at daycare.  We haven't pushed it at all because he's pretty young and we figure he'll get there.  He has asked to use the potty when we're out a couple of times (though we still put him in diapers), but for some reason does not want to go at daycare.  Thanks for posting, I look forward to reading what other families have gone through.  

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

#4 of 8 Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

We're using two potties at home, both BabyBjorn.  He uses the full potty seat/chair downstairs (and it's in his room at nap time) and he uses the sit-on-top-of-the-regular-toilet one, too.  I guess we could start lugging one around with us...but how did you do that?  Just carry it in its own plastic bag or something?

He has been comfortable with going potty with me and a grandparent present at the same time.  In fact, sometimes he's even said to my mom or dad that they need to come with him and mommy to do potty.  It's just the times when DH and I aren't there at all...  But maybe we can work more on having him go with one of them while we're in another room.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Two things that help: take your regular potty seat with you everywhere. The big ol' bjorn. It will seem familiar and he'll be more comfortable. My DS was really big and lacked coordinated. Yes, it looks a little silly but so what.

It took him years to be comfortable on a big potty when we were out. My tiny DD has been comfortable from day one. However, we still carry a little bjorn potty in the car for her and she usues it all the time.

#6 of 8 Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you are using a seat reducer at home sometimes I would carry that. I just put it in the diaper bag. Yeah, I felt silly sometimes but it was worth it.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 8 Old 08-13-2011, 01:50 PM

How about a folding potty used as a seat reducer - google Potette.  Use it at home first till he-s used to it.  Sorry to be brief, tping one handed in dark nursung in bed,

#8 of 8 Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 PM

i second the potette, ours just came, even comes with own handy plastic travel bag.

-M-, mama to G 4/09joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page