Not talking and just turned 2 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP-- I just wanted to say that I have seen several kids who had fluid in their ears really take off in terms of their speech and language skills when they got tubes.  I know it sucks sending your kiddo in for surgery, but it can be an easy solution to communication issues for some kids.  I was honestly hoping our audiologist would tell me our son had fluid in his ears (he didn't) because once the surgery is over, many kids do really well instead of the long road that some others have with learning to speak.  I'd take him to an ENT over a pediatrician for a consult. 

Also, I think it is great that you are GF with him.  I would strongly consider pulling dairy too....and not subbing soy for dairy.  We use coconut milk for my son and he loves it.  You can buy it at Whole Foods and various "mainstream" grocery stores.  We buy the SoDelicious brand which comes in a half gallon carton in the refridgerated section.  Not to be confused with the super thick coconut milk that comes in a can.  If you need ideas for recipes, feel free to pm me too.  We do use a lot of rice though...but no corn. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 38 Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I don't know if anyone cares for an update- but here it is:

He's been saying more words since 2 months ago, only a couple are clear.  His pediatrician said she thinks it could be allergies so she wanted to put him on children's claritin daily. I want him to see an ENT first before I medicate him, and confirm there is even fluid in his ears, since she hasn't been able to see any signs of fluid.  I guess we are still floudering around trying to find out what could be causing this.  In case it is an allergy, I am trying to feed him similar to myself- no wheat, corn, rice, coconut, almonds, onions, soy, dairy, sugar, beef, pork or anything artificial/processed. I guess my thinking was that maybe we share an allergy, I have no idea though.  It's been hard to feed him this way.  The couple times we've slipped is when we go to the store or someone's house, and he wants a piece of bread or something. Since I can't communicate with him very much, it's hard to explain he can't have it.  I'm working on it though.  We'll just try to feed him at home from now on. 

We're going to redo the hearing test, see if the results are changed at all.  If they are the same, then go see an ENT and see if someone with more ear experience can see any signs of fluid or any other problems.  Then we'll decide from there I guess.

#33 of 38 Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 AM

Good luck! I love when people update with how things are going.

Sounds like you are checking things out well, and your ds is in good hands (which of course you knew already :wink: )

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#34 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd get a blood allergy test. We did a panel of 96 on our 2 year old. Who would have thought cane sugar and tomatoes could be problems. Well, you've cut out sugar so apparently  you did, but I wouldn't have thought about that. Tests aren't 100% accurate, but it's a starting point.

Some of it is patience. If he's in speech therapy AND you're following the therapists instructions, that will help. Do you do sign with him? Our son knew 96 words. Our second baby I didn't have so much energy, so she only learned around 50. But it was (and continues to be) a big help.

We are almost 3.5 years now. She's been in speech therapy since about 13 months. The other day she told me, "(her name) take picture you in space shuttle." (Her brother has a cardboard space shuttle.) Her speech isn't very clear, but it's getting better and she's making long sentences like that from time to time.

It helps that I know her birthmom and 2 half sisters all had speech delays and they can talk. Some of it is just patience.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#35 of 38 Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 PM

I just wanted to chime in as the mother of an almost 3 year old late talker.  We have been there done that. 

I don't know if you got the fluid checked by an ENT but just to answer your question - it is probably non-infected fluid in the middle ear which can't be seen just looking into the ear.  They have to test the tension of the ear drum to find it which is why they have to shoot air onto the ear drum.  If I were you this would be my first thing to follow up on because, if the fluid doesn't go away on its own soon, you are missing key language learning months. 

All that said, it is also possible that there is something else going on with your son and I would definitely get him evaluated by EI or a private therapist.  Although 2 is really, REALLY young and I wouldn't stress out about it since many children simply talk late.  But there are also other reasons he might not be talking yet and you want to catch those early on.

#36 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

I'd get a blood allergy test. We did a panel of 96 on our 2 year old. Who would have thought cane sugar and tomatoes could be problems. Well, you've cut out sugar so apparently  you did, but I wouldn't have thought about that. Tests aren't 100% accurate, but it's a starting point.

Some of it is patience. If he's in speech therapy AND you're following the therapists instructions, that will help. Do you do sign with him? Our son knew 96 words. Our second baby I didn't have so much energy, so she only learned around 50. But it was (and continues to be) a big help.

We are almost 3.5 years now. She's been in speech therapy since about 13 months. The other day she told me, "(her name) take picture you in space shuttle." (Her brother has a cardboard space shuttle.) Her speech isn't very clear, but it's getting better and she's making long sentences like that from time to time.

It helps that I know her birthmom and 2 half sisters all had speech delays and they can talk. Some of it is just patience.

I think the allergy test is a good idea, it's way too hard to just try randomly eliminating things with someone this young in my opinion.  My blood allergy test showed I wasn't having IgE reactions to anything, so I know what you mean- he could be having another type of reaction. Or maybe it's environmental.

We have been trying to sign with him since we found out, he's learned a couple words- I've found the biggest obstacle is that he doesn't look at me for long enough for me to show him.  Whenever he is doing something that I know the sign for, I try to get his attention, but he just doesn't look up most of the time. I'm not giving up though- and I've been trying to get his dad and grandma to join in helping teach him when they interact with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post

I just wanted to chime in as the mother of an almost 3 year old late talker.  We have been there done that. 

I don't know if you got the fluid checked by an ENT but just to answer your question - it is probably non-infected fluid in the middle ear which can't be seen just looking into the ear.  They have to test the tension of the ear drum to find it which is why they have to shoot air onto the ear drum.  If I were you this would be my first thing to follow up on because, if the fluid doesn't go away on its own soon, you are missing key language learning months. 

All that said, it is also possible that there is something else going on with your son and I would definitely get him evaluated by EI or a private therapist.  Although 2 is really, REALLY young and I wouldn't stress out about it since many children simply talk late.  But there are also other reasons he might not be talking yet and you want to catch those early on.

Yeah I think we are definitely dealing with a medical reason here, and not just a kid who talks later than others. He seems genuinely interested in talking, but I just can't understand him.  Since the hearing test showed his ear drum isn't moving and that sound wasn't echoing back like it should- we definitely need to find out why.   What's an EI? What is the benefit to a private therapist? Or is that what he is already seeing? lol sorry I am confused.  His speech therapy is every other week at our house and every other week at a community center where the early learning services is.  They also invited him to their playgroup which we are trying this morning.

I'm glad you told me more about the fluid, his doctors haven't told me much.  Have you ever heard of any other possibilities for the ear drum being restricted- or is it always caused by fluid? If it's always caused by fluid then I think we need to be more aggressive in exploring allergies and such.

He has another hearing test on the 16th and speech therapy tomorrow. He's going to have it once a week.

#37 of 38 Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Don't worry about trying to get his attention with the signing. Just sign as you talk. Learn the signs and just use them as part of your conversation. He'll figure it out if it's natural for you. Here's a really good dictionary that I carried in my diaper bag: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Your-Tot-Sign-American/dp/1563683113/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326311404&sr=8-1 You can get a used copy for $4 with delivery, less if you belong to amazon prime.

Important first signs "more" "eat" "drink" "potty" "play" (if he was younger I'd say "milk.")

This dvd is really helpful if the book isn't enough. http://www.amazon.com/SIGN-your-BABY-How-Reference/dp/1932354018/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

We have been trying to sign with him since we found out, he's learned a couple words- I've found the biggest obstacle is that he doesn't look at me for long enough for me to show him.  Whenever he is doing something that I know the sign for, I try to get his attention, but he just doesn't look up most of the time. I'm not giving up though- and I've been trying to get his dad and grandma to join in helping teach him when they interact with him.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#38 of 38 Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Update:  We had the second hearing test in February, and he could hear great in one ear! We have no idea what changed. They said maybe his face developed more and allowed fluid to drain. We still have no evidence there ever was fluid for sure, but it could have been uninfected fluid in his middle ear. They checked the ear he couldn;t hear in, and said they saw ear wax in there, that wasn't there before.

So we took him to the pediatrician and had that cleaned out. He did really well with it, we swaddled him in a blanket and she scooped it out. He shed one silent heart-breaking tear at the very end when the doctor was on her 10th scoop.  The audiologist and the pediatrician both said that the earwax can cause fluid to build up, so to give it a week, then try the hearing test again.

The hearing test showed he could now hear in both ears! Ever since then his speech has been doing great. He's still pretty behind for his age and it's starting to get very frustrating for him. He's almost 3 now and we can't explain a lot of things to him like you can another 3 year old. He tries to mimic our words, but his speech sounds are pretty far off for several sounds. We're still doing speech therapy every week until he is 3, then he ages out of the program. He qualified for special education with the school district and is going to go to the local elementary school to meet with a speech pathologist.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page