SilverFish (or other Mommas) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

In the thread about toddler dinner you mentioned your healthy type smoothie/popsicles.  Can you post a few "recipes"?  I've been wanting to try this but don't know where to start.  My 12/13 yr old SD is coming to live with us this week and I'm pretty sure these will be a constant so I want them to be healthier.  I'm even buying a blender (haven't had one in 10 yrs!!).  I already have popsicle molds.  We bought a bunch of organic frozen fruit at Trader Joe's, but I don't think just fruit and yogurt is really going to cut it when she ends up eating that for breakfast on her way to school (which I just know will happen).

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, for popcicles we usually do a blend of yogurt (plain, I use soy), fresh or frozen fruit (anything goes really!), and if you need more sweetness we add agave syrup, stevia or erythritol. You can also add in pure juice or freshly squeezed OJ.

When we have breakfast smoothies, I do it differently. I do 60% fruit and 40% greens, with 1 or 2 cups water per serving. I never use a recipe I just buy what's in season and make it up. A typical smoothie (for 2) might look like this:

2 apples

2 peaches

1 pear

some fresh ginger

some lemon juice

a few mint leaves

a couple handfuls greens (spinach, lettuce, field salad, arugala, etc....)

3-4 cups water

I like to add the ginger and mint for flavor, and the lemon juice for more alkalinity, but you could leave those all out and do something much simpler, like:

2 apples

2 peaches

a couple handfuls greens

3 cups water

Remember, for green smoothies it's 60% fruit, 40% greens. It's a great way to get those greens in, you can't taste them at all in there! Our son (14 months) loves them!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#3 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Thanks!  This is exactly the kind of thing I need.  You just throw the greens in there with everything else?  Rip or chop first?  I just bought a small blender that supposed to be good smoothies (and not much else) because the one I want is $100.  We'll see how it goes.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#4 of 4 Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We do fruit smoothies here too.  I don't think you need any recipes, just throw in what you have! Our standard would be:

1 banana

1 peach 

1 cup blue berries 

yogurt (maybe a cup?? I don't measure)

1 cup soy milk (or whatever you have.  regular milk, oj, etc.)

The other tried and true ingredients to add/vary with others are really ripe mango, a nice orange, raspberries, saskatoons (picked in the wild here on the Prairies of Canada), strawberries, watermelon, blackberries (although the seeds are kind of large on those)...no recipe, just whatever combos sound tasty and what I have on hand.  I buy or pick in season and then freeze berries and fruit (such as peaches).  You can also add protein powder, flax seed or wheat germ.  

My SECRET INGREDIENT is ripe avocado!  It makes the smoothies super creamy and it is so healthy!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page