How to get a 10 month old and an almost 3 yr old on a similar napping sched??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-25-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an almost 3 yr old that naps regularly from about 1pm-3pm and a 10 month old that naps twice daily. The naps are now in the pattern that the LO's are NEVER sleeping at the same time. That was always my precious time. Both kids asleep...mommy can close her eyes or read a book. Now that quiet time is gone and I am dragging. Any advice on getting LOs this age to overlap with naps? Am i stuck like this until the 10 month old drops the second nap?

Katie, a lone woman in a house of all boys! Wife to Alex and mother of Gabriel (10/10/08) and Sorin (10/16/10). Ce lumea trista ar fi fara copii!

#2 of 8 Old 08-25-2011, 04:20 PM

What times is the 10 mo napping?  The classic two nap schedule is 9:00 am and 1:00 pm.  It seems totally possible that the 10 mo could get on a routine with a 1:00 nap.

#3 of 8 Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

If only that was my 10 mo old! DS naps at about 10:30 or 11am and then again at 5pm. DS usually wakes up between 6:30 - 7:30am.

Katie, a lone woman in a house of all boys! Wife to Alex and mother of Gabriel (10/10/08) and Sorin (10/16/10). Ce lumea trista ar fi fara copii!

#4 of 8 Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Ooh, I wish my kids would nap, period. They the exact same age as yours. The 10 month old doesn't nap for more than 30 minutes (about 3 times a day) and the almost 3 year old doesn't nap, period. She stopped about a month ago and I haven't had any luck trying to reintroduce it.  I'm lucky if I can enforce a 45 minute quiet time. So, yeah, no down time for me either. Kinda sucks.

That said, it sounds like your younger one goes to be pretty late if that's when he gets up from his nap. The advice I read is to try gradually moving things back (about 15 min / day) so that he goes to bed for the night around 7:30. Wake him up earlier too. SUBMIT

Happy mama to a toddler & baby, dd happytears.gif born 10/18/08, and ds  baby.gifborn 10/3/10.
#5 of 8 Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ms Sig. Sounds like you are living the same glorious period of child raising! Thanks for your advice. DS2 (10 month old) goes to bed about 8:30 - 9pm. It seems like while kids are on the two nap schedule it will be almost impossible to get him to go down during the time of 1-3. I was able to get my two year old down today at 11:30am for nap so the two overlapped for 30 min. It's better than nothing. At this point I'm assuming that it won't be until my youngest drops the second nap that I will really get some down time. However, by then the older son may lose his nap all together! :(

#6 of 8 Old 08-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamika View Post

At this point I'm assuming that it won't be until my youngest drops the second nap that I will really get some down time. However, by then the older son may lose his nap all together! :(

In all probability, yes :) For me, a success with one presages a difficult period with the other ;) Right when the baby started sleeping through the night, the toddler started crawling out of her crib and not wanting to go to bed at night. Hopefully you'll have better sleep luck :)

Happy mama to a toddler & baby, dd happytears.gif born 10/18/08, and ds  baby.gifborn 10/3/10.
#7 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

LOL! I'm pretty sure that will be my future as well! Just remember...they grow up so fast so savor it while their young...right :)

#8 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sadly, this is common. I would try and move the 10m schedule up incrementally. So at least there is a partial overlap.

Otherwise look at as an opportunity to spend qualtiy (tired) time with one of your children. My three year old really needed that time with me, especially to do art/cutting/reading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page