MIL called DS2 a "mama's boy"--WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our LO has never "gone to" MIL.  She lives locally and has seen him a minimum of 1x/wk. since he was born.  I am positive and pleasant towards her and around her.  DS2 is 17 months and, while he will give her a smile and play around her, he won't go to her (ie:  let her cuddle him or pick him up).  I think it's pretty age-appropriate, plus I'm a SAHM and he's pretty bonded with me.  Well, last week she'd kind of had it with his not going to her and she said "Oh, I see...you're a mama's boy."  I didn't like it and told DH later that our son had been called his first name.  He wasn't too bugged about it since he knows his mom and he also lets things roll of him pretty easily.  I do understand that MIL's feelings are hurt.

He does let other folks pick him up and play with him and stuff.  He's very happy and social, and no, I'm not worried at all about his social development.

If she says it again, what should I say?

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#2 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Oh hell no. That wouldn't fly with me. No one is allowed to call my kid names that are meant to be mean. WTH is a 'mama's boy' anyway? When it happens again I would just say 'oh, yuck. I know you're kidding but that really bothers me.' Then again....

I'm having an issue with my MIL where every time DS goes up to be sweet to her she says something like 'oh, you aren't trying to give me a hug! You just want to pull my hair, take my glasses, get my phone....etc.' It's freaking annoying and happens continually throughout a visit with her. I've yet to get the courage to say anything about it.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM

"Of course he's a mama's boy, he's a baby and babies are supposed to be with their mamas."

End of discussion.

MarineWife and isabchi like this.
#4 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post

"Of course he's a mama's boy, he's a baby and babies are supposed to be with their mamas."

End of discussion.

This is the perfect response!

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#5 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 PM

I love that response.  I get "she's so clingy" all the time and I just say "yup and I love it"

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

I love that response.  I get "she's so clingy" all the time and I just say "yup and I love it"

Yep, that's what I say too. orngbiggrin.gif

sleepytime.gif
#7 of 13 Old 08-30-2011, 11:05 PM

I'd BEAM! I'd take it as a compliment! I'd simply smile :)

My autistic dd would go to ANYONE. Made ME feel like crud. Lately she's been coming to me when she is upset and came to me when MIL was here. Felt pretty cool :P  I mean I felt bad for mil and simply handed her to her. She never complained just asked for me to hand her to her which was fine by me. FIL was here last week and demanded her to come to him. Had his hands out and she was thrilled to see him but just stood there flapping and screaming at the top of her lungs. So I ended up picking her up and putting her in his arms. Handing the baby over works just fine. With her you gotta jump in.

#8 of 13 Old 08-31-2011, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I say this gently, but I think maybe you could have a little more compassion for your MIL's hurt feelings. It sounds like you don't like her...maybe your son is reacting to that. Even if you are civil towards her, he can pick up on your vibe and inner feelings. Also, of course, maybe she is just truly awful as well and he is, like you, just not into her, haha! But even if she's so bad, she is still a human and she has feelings and she loves her grandson and of course would love it if he went to her. That's only natural, no matter how annoying a person someone is. She didn't mean that comment as an insult to you or your son, it was just an expression of her hurt feelings and jealousy of your bond with him.

If she says it again and again and with a nasty tone, then you should set a limit with her, gently, at the same time as expressing your sympathy for her desires and feelings. "I understand why it's hard for you that he's not cuddly with you. That must be really painful, especially when you see how close he is to me. I'm sorry. But it really gets to me when you call him a Mama's Boy, Could you please express your frustration in another way, or contain it altogether? If you relax a bit, maybe in time he'll warm up to you, maybe he feels pressure, IDK...".......something like that.

For now though, IMO you have nothing at all to worry about.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#9 of 13 Old 08-31-2011, 05:04 AM

DS won't go to DH's grandma most of the time, and I have heard that a little bit (from her and lots of other people on DH's side of the family). Especially when he was smaller. When I get the mama's boy comment, I say well, his daddy is one,  and he turned out ok!

I've even said that in front of MIL and no one got offended. I think.

Not that I would encourage bribes exactly, but does your LO like stickers, or a particular fruit, or toy? could you kind of sneak something to your MIL and be like "see what your grandma has?" It may not get him to sit in her lap, but at least he'd be headed that direction. Or a game or something he likes to do - color? - you want to color with grandma? - that way they are interacting and doing something together, but on easier terms.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

#10 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 04:05 PM

I would ignore her. You are his mother. How can anyone argue how close the two of you are? geez. This is what always got me about my in-laws when they were living, they would pick apart things my ex-DH and I were doing with our older two (we co-slept, home schooled, etc). It was always something. If it wasn't this then it would be something else coming outta her, I assure you (lol). I would let it slide. If she says it again say "you're darn right and we're both lovin it!"

=D

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#11 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM

"Well, he gets that from his daddy" smile.gif
triana1326 likes this.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#12 of 13 Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

THIS. OH YES...this would be PERFECT, if my MIL ever said anything rude about my kiddos being mama's boys (which she wouldn't...she had 3 boys of her own...she knows what its like in the trenches! Boys love their mamas!)

#13 of 13 Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Love it!

But yeah, make her cut it out. Mama's boy has a bad connotation to it. One that you don't want plastered on your kid.

As an aside, neither one of my toddlers liked old ladies...... they found them creepy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page