Almost lost it last night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DS (13 month) has been extremely cranky lately (last couple weeks but really bad for the past week). Tons of whining, crying, tantrums. Sometimes easily distracted from, other times not so much. Diaper changes & baths are currently guaranteed melt down & naps are hit or miss. Daycare reports no problems or changes in behavior.

Last night he nursed to sleep as usual & was awake crying in less than 2 hours. He would nurse then either pop off & cry or fall asleep lightly but wake & cry shortly after. I could only allow this for awhile because his teeth were pressing on my boob more than usual & every time he stopped nursing they were scraping my nipple HARD as he unlatched. I ended up refusing to nurse for 5 hours & we both got some sleep.

Also, he recently started sobbing when I hand him to his daddy. Only mommy will do apparently (though he was just fine this am with the morning routine & daycare drop that daddy always does).

I almost lost it last night. Not in a physically hurt him kind of way, but I was getting to a point where I could barely respond, I couldn't react to his crying. He wouldn't accept comfort of any kind, just kept rolling over, squirming, crawling around, flinging arms & legs... All while sobbing on & off. That started before I stopped nursing for the record.

I know there is the 13 month sleep regression, but is it this bad with constant crying also during the day only at home? Has 8 teeth &I don't see any signs of new ones. No recent diet changes.

So I'm thinking of night weaning. Is that a bad idea? Or even just a 5 hour no nursing stretch. I will probably look into counseling also. I do think I need it.

Would love to hear from other mamas.

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Has he gotten any molars yet?  DD has gotten both of hers in the past month and acted almost exactly as you describe.  If he doesn't have any molars, I would definitely suspect that they're the culprit.

#3 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

He hasn't actually. With his other teeth he drooled more than I thought was possible & didn't crank a whole lot. He's not currently drooling more than any other baby or trying to chew on everything ... Also, if it were teething would the behavior be different between daycare & home?

#4 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maybe he's distracted at daycare? I know my LO can be a charmer with the babysitter, but is whinier with me. Just a thought.

And, hugs! It will pass!

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#5 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I wouldn't count on drooling as a clue.  DD used to drool a TON when teething, but she just got 6 teeth this past month and really didn't drool at all.  Also, I think the molars hurt a lot as they're pushing up through the gums.  You may not even see any signs of them yet.  I didn't "get" it until I saw the surface of that huge flat square of tooth in DD's mouth.  I cannot believe that thing just rammed its way up through my baby's mouth.  Ow!

#6 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 05:04 PM

I nightweaned at 13 months. Best decision I've made in some time. 

#7 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. He probably is distracted at daycare, he has so much fun there. He was cranky tonight but a little less so. But the nursing is still hurting &I can't unlatch him without major drama. I think I'm going to do some hours without nursing again tonight after DP goes to work. I go back & forth about weaning now that I've reached the 1 year mark. I think I will be happy to keep BFing if I am able to partially or fully night wean. Man if it's molars I hope they come in soon! Has anyone seen the Family Guy episode where Stuie's teeth were coming in? I'll just keep that in mind. I gave him his pacifier out of the fridge this evening (the Gumdrop brand) and he chewed on it for awhile.

#8 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 AM

We're still in the same boat and I see no end to it on our horizon. DS popped a tooth and then got crankier than usual. I did a lot yelling yesterday being so completely overtired with frazzled nerves and no help in sight. DP comes home today, but he's not much help either. If the baby is tossing and turning and sobbing too much, he just leaves to go sleep on the couch. If I'm completely out of luck, he's too busy the next day to take the baby for a few hours while I rest.

hide.gif Me 41, single mom to modifiedartist.gifdd 4/2001 and demon.gif ds 7/17/2010

#9 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilein View Post

We're still in the same boat and I see no end to it on our horizon. DS popped a tooth and then got crankier than usual. I did a lot yelling yesterday being so completely overtired with frazzled nerves and no help in sight. DP comes home today, but he's not much help either. If the baby is tossing and turning and sobbing too much, he just leaves to go sleep on the couch. If I'm completely out of luck, he's too busy the next day to take the baby for a few hours while I rest.

hug2.gif  I have to admit, on this one I'd rather DP go sleep elsewhere.  It's crazy but I actually get more stressed out when he's there because 1) I'm worried he's getting cranky because of being woken constantly and he does much worse as far as mood when he doesn't sleep than I do and 2) Right now he can't help at all anyway, DS just wants me, well, he just wants boob and 3) when he ISN'T awake due to DS I feel resentful seeing him there!  LOL isn't that crazy?  I don't want to wake him, but I'm resentful that he gets to sleep dizzy.gif

Strangely, I find shopping "restful" in a way.  I plop DS in the cart and walk around Target.  He's distracted for a good hour that way and I don't have to listen to him crying, etc.  Sometimes I give him a little whipped cream from my Starbucks drink!  That's my go to activity when DP isn't available and it's too hot outside.  In the other thread about 2 yr molars frozen fruit chunks was suggested.  I'll try that tonight.  We also might get a dog tomorrow.  That will be plenty distracting!

#10 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Be thankful you have a daddy to hand him over to at times, lol. I wish I did!!! My 23 month old does this at times during the day, especially when shopping and it drives me bonkers! No relief in sight for me.

Single (divorced), self-employed working, college student MOM to:

17 yr old

11 yr old 

4 yr old

#11 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Oh I am grateful truly. My heat (and admiration) go out to any mamas going it alone for any length of time for whatever reason. DP went out of town for 7 weeks when DS was around 9 months & it was really horrible. I can't imagine doing it permanently!

#12 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 AM

neonalee, it sounds like molars to me also!  DS is 13 months and has been getting incisors and molars for a few weeks.  He's had some VERY grumpy days!  This could have to do with the constant nursing and the painful latch as well as the general clingly-ness!

If you are thinking of partially night weaning you might be interested in this site: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html  I haven't night weaned yet myself, but it sounds promising!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#13 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 07:02 AM

That sounds EXACTLY my my ds when he was getting molars - those things HURT!

Anyway, I would try giving motrin at night before bed to see if it helps.  If it does, then its teeth, if not, one night won't hurt him.

#14 of 14 Old 09-03-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I read the Dr Jay stuff awhile back and it may be similar to what we started if I am remembering at all correctly. That first night he didn't nurse for around 5 hours just because I was so sore. He woke a few times. Thursday night there was a 4 or 5 hour stretch and he only woke a couple times. Last night 5 hours & only 1 wake. Really 5 hours is sufficient for me so I think we will continue this way for now.

Yesterday he was better & today more so. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for giving me an explanation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page