molars? Terrible twos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS turned two last week.  Coinciding with his second birthday has been a week of cranky disposition, tantrums, and potty learning setbacks (he was totally into it for about 6 weeks- at home only, but now absolutely insists on wearing his diaper.  We don't push it but it's a total 180.).  He is also getting his 2-year molars; the top two are partially pushed through his gums.

Can someone reassure me that 2-year molars are indeed terrible and can cause these behavior and temperament changes?  Or does the actual day he turns two bring on the so-called "terrible twos?" 

Any advice on helping him through this long and painful teething?  I remember the 1-year molars being awful, but this time he won't just admit he's in pain and instead gets frustrated with everything and throws tantrums.  Trying to be a patient mama...

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I am right there with you. 

My DS turned 2 late July and I swear I could have written what you wrote, minus the potty regression.  I feel like I don't know who this little person is at times.  He says and signs he "doesn't like" this or that, but I know he adores these things.  So frustrating. 

He just cut his 1st, 2nd year molar this week.  Gosh... 3 more to go.  I can see he is in discomfort but he wouldn't tell me, he did tell his Papa when I was out watering the garden, thankfully.

I have been giving him calcarea phosphorica to ease the discomfort, mainly in the afternoon.  It helps but I can still see him clenching his jaw at times.  We also keep this on hand for the really bad inflammation and I gave him some when I saw the molar erupting this week at night. 

Hang in there, I appreciate knowing I am not alone!

'09   
Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

There are 1 yr and 2 yr molars?  I posted nearly the same thing (minus potty issues) in a thread earlier - "I almost lost it last night".  This is exactly what I'm going through and molars was a suggested cause.  If it is ... what did you do for 1 yr molars??  Honestly, I'm questioning my ability to be a parent and wanting to run away mecry.gif

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
Old 09-01-2011, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas, it is good to be reminded that our little ones behavior can change with teething, especially molars.  The 1-year molars were rough and much like you described, neonalee.  Our son wasn't in daycare then but he is definitely more distracted and well-behaved there during this teething session.  

We did the Hyland's teething tablets during the day and resorted to generic tylenol a few nights when he was waking frequently in pain.  I haven't heard of the product goldenwillow suggested but it sounds great and I think we will check it out.  Frozen fruit chunks were nice for him to gnaw on too. This time we are also making a lot of smoothie popsicles, but it was such a nice break between 1 and 2 year molars so we are trying to remember what to do!   Lots of outside playtime and fresh air is working (yay summer!) for distracting, and letting him or encouraging him to sleep or rest a little bit more seems necessary if not visibly helpful.

Even though he says his teeth/mouth don't hurt, I try to remind myself that he is probably dealing with near constant pain and that would make anyone cranky!  This too shall pass, but I'm still happy to hear more suggestions for coping or relieving pain : )

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM

I went into my homeopath last night and described my LO's demeanor...  she asked... "Is he saying he likes something, then the next minute saying he doesn't, wants up then down?"  She nailed it.  She gave me some chamomile tabs and he did sleep a ton better last night. 

'09   
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee View Post

Honestly, I'm questioning my ability to be a parent and wanting to run away mecry.gif

Me too! 

'09   
Old 09-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwillow View Post

Me too!

ME THREE!!!!

My LO is almost 21 months and is just finishing his last bottom canine and starting to work in the first of the 2 year molars (he got his first teeth at 4 months, so he has always been on the early side). Yesterday he was pretty happy, and today he is a total psycho-boy.....anything causes a meltdown and he was miserable even at the playground (normally outdoor distraction works the best!)....clinging, whining, crying, hitting (which isn't normal for him)....you name it-- he's doing it. He seems to get a few days of major pain, then a few days of less, and this cycle continues until the tooth has fully worked itself in. It feels never ending to us....and only the Camilia and, when really really bad, ibuprofen give any help.....poor kid!

It makes me want to run and hide!!! In fact, now that he is napping I think I am going to go and hide under the covers myself....LOLOL :)

Hang in there Mammas!

Old 09-04-2011, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, we are maximizing the outdoor distractions at this point and trying not to lose our minds the rest of the time.  This whole no-yes-NO-YES business is definitely trying; we can no longer assume we know what he likes or doesn't like.  I now see three out of the four molars have at least broken the surface, and one friend reminded me to be grateful that this is happening BEFORE baby #2 arrives (November) and I am grateful for the great summer weather to help with distracting.  Just trying to breath through the tantrums and share the burdon with my husband smile.gif

Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Just wanted to check in with you all.  How are your LOs?  Mine is fit to be tied!  The last 2 of his 2nd year molars are erupted partially but taking their sweet ass time!  Poor kid.  We have not slept very well the past couple days.  This too shall pass, right?  dizzy.gif

'09   
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 PM

I could have written you post as well!  My son turned 2 at the end of July and the same week as his birthday he went from being an angel all the time to turning into an aggressive boy half of the time.  He has been saying "throw trucks in mama's face" (it seems everyone he loves is getting their name put in place of mine as well), biting (bit me a few times, but mostly biting daddy), hitting (especially hitting daddy), throwing things, as well as not wanting to eat or  do things that he previously loved (we believe he still likes these things, but perhaps is becoming bored with them).  I keep thinking that this is how he has acted when teething in the past and that it must be teething pain causing this drama and aggression, but he won't let look in his mouth long enough to see and when I ask him if his teeth hurt he say no.  Though he has been saying "I don't feel well" from time to time.  He starting preschool just two weeks ago and I swear I see additional aggression and clinginess since he started school.  He too loves to be outdoors and that has been failing to keep him happy at times lately too!  Mama is struggling to keep afloat!

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Wow, I *also* could have written this post. In fact, I just wrote one about my 27 mo old DS's night tantruming, and yes, his top two molars are cutting through right now. I had not thought about how the near constant pain may be setting him on edge as well. He turned into a different little person shortly following his 2nd birthday and throws some FIERCE tantrums these days about the smallest things. He has never before shown such strong will; in fact, he was rather passive. It is really encouraging to know I'm not alone because I was beginning to wonder if this was typical, and DH and I have been questioning our abilities as parents as well!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Hang in there Mammas.....I swear the kid is like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde these days....one day-- mostly sweet boy, happy, playful, excited, friendly--- and other days he is a moaning, whining, screaming, ranting, frustrated, irritated mess for 95% of the day. Sigh.

So nice to hear that I am not alone! Since this is my first- I really have no idea what to expect :)

Old 09-26-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, we're still in the midst of it.  One molar stubbornly refuses to come through the gums, though the other three are working their way in.  The chamomile tabs suggested by goldenwillow (above) have definitely helped with the YES-NO-YES or UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN tantrum moments.  He still won't say that his teeth/jaw/head hurt at any one time, but sometimes will only want to eat soft foods like yogurts so I've been making smoothie popsicles and just trying to roll with it. 

It was quite the personality change that coincided with the arrival of these molars (and his 2nd birthday!) and we're trying to be patient and really hoping the dust settles a bit after these teeth are in.  We don't have any "solutions" for the tantrums... sometimes we figure he just needs to express himself like that, other times we distract him with something silly, other times I have to walk away because I'm close to losing it and dinner is almost ready if I could just get it done without all these tantrums over nothing! When I get really worked up the funny thing is that he'll pick himself up and come over and tell me to be happy, he continues to surprise and crack me up. 

Old 09-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabelle View Post

The chamomile tabs suggested by goldenwillow (above) have definitely helped with the YES-NO-YES or UP-DOWN-UP-DOWN tantrum moments.  He still won't say that his teeth/jaw/head hurt at any one time, but sometimes will only want to eat soft foods like yogurts so I've been making smoothie popsicles and just trying to roll with it. 

It was quite the personality change that coincided with the arrival of these molars (and his 2nd birthday!) and we're trying to be patient and really hoping the dust settles a bit after these teeth are in.  We don't have any "solutions" for the tantrums... sometimes we figure he just needs to express himself like that, other times we distract him with something silly, other times I have to walk away because I'm close to losing it and dinner is almost ready if I could just get it done without all these tantrums over nothing! When I get really worked up the funny thing is that he'll pick himself up and come over and tell me to be happy, he continues to surprise and crack me up. 

So glad the Cham is helping.  It seems to take a tad of the edge off for sure.  You can take some yourself when he is fit to be tied! 

I love the last paragraph about dinner...  had to laugh at that one  ROTFLMAO.gif

'09   

User Tag List