"Long and lean" toddler jeans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

At 22lbs/32 inches, DD is by no means super-skinny, but somehow 18 month size pants swim around her waist.  This wasn't a problem during shorts season, but I want to get her some jeans for fall - ideally ones that don't droop. We tried Children's Place, but they gave her a weird puffy waist/bum.  Anyone have a good long and lean toddler jean recommendation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)

are you dealing with a diaper?

we weren't- we had ECed and found all new pants just feel off! we did the old way------ebay or local thrifts, etc------pants/jeans made 80's and older are cut very differently (no room for a bulky diaper) and fit perfectly, older items were also more true to size- 18months really fit an 18 months old- better construction too

I had tried all new companies and they were super big and fell off or fit and didn't in the length -

do we did vintage--worked for us beside with growing it was crazy to pay new prices just to keep getting new things every few months

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 09-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wth are "long and lean" jeans?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

I finally just got my DS a belt, so all his jeans and shorts would stop sliding off thumb.gif Now he can wear his 24 month and 2T stuff just fine

Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM

Ha I was going to say The Children's Place...IDK I think it may be the best you can do...Did you adjust the waist on them (they have it on the inside)? Maybe try Old Navy?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

Old Navy sells toddler jeans that have an adjustable band inside the waist. My DD is so skinny she wears 0-3 months pants as shorts in the summer and those jeans look really nice on her and don't fall down. I highly recommend them.

here is a link to the ones I got, you have to get a toddler size for the adjustable band (baby sizes just have an elastic waist). http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=70145&vid=1&pid=694008&scid=694008002

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 09-01-2011, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

wth are "long and lean" jeans?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear :)  I meant jeans for toddler whose on the taller, thinner end of the spectrum. 

Children's Place jeans are only adjustable 24m and up.  I bet they'll fit a lot better once we get to that point.  I'll give Old Navy a shot.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Children's Place jeans are only adjustable 24m and up.  I bet they'll fit a lot better once we get to that point.  I'll give Old Navy a shot.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Old Navy's are only adjustable in toddler sizes as well.

You mentioned that she's size 18 months. Try the 2T size on her, if they are too long you can roll them up but the waist circumference really doesn't change much from 18mo to 2T. The difference is that infant sizes (up to 24m) are meant to fit over diapers and will almost always have an elastic waistband. If your DD has a narrow frame the elastic waists are always going to look poofy and ill-fitting. Try the 2T.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Ditto the PP - I found that my DS - about the same measurements as your DD - fits way better in many 2T things than 18/24 months. and they tend to have the adjustable waist!

also, if they run a little long, it is way easier to adjust length than waist size.

Katrina - Mama to Gabriel  sleepytime.gif 11/20/2009 and Norah vbac.gif 10/11/2011- married to Wayne - geek.gif novaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif&nbspand now new baby Theodore born 3/11/13 vbac.gif

Old 09-02-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear :)  I meant jeans for toddler whose on the taller, thinner end of the spectrum. 

cool, cause i ended up googling it and getting gap grownup women's jeans and was like... headscratch.gif

but if you're looking for the smaller made jeans, and speaking of that brand, we have a relative who LOVES to shop for her dd there and give us hand-me-downs.  the jeans never fit our dd, who wears extremely poofy CD's.  those are always too tight, even in sizes above what dd normally wears.  i notice some of them have the elastic band and button thing in the waists, too, maybe that brand would work well for you guys?

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

Old 09-02-2011, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Most of Gymboree's bottoms have the adjustable buttons inside the waistband. I think Target does as well for the younger ones. My 9 yr old is having this problem right now.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 09-02-2011, 07:49 PM

Gap and Old Navy are the best for my skinny 3 yr old.  I love jeans on kids but he has trouble with holding his pants up so most of his wardrobe are windbreaker pants/sweat pants for this Fall/winter with a few pairs of jeans.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Old 09-03-2011, 09:12 AM

I splurged on a pair of "playdate straight" jeans from baby gap for my tall slim toddler (23 lbs, 34.5 inches) and like them. They're slimmer through the waist and hips but still have a high-enough rise to fit her CDs, and the legs are nice and long. I think I bought 18-24 months size. They have an adjustable waist.

Generally, I've found that boys' jeans fit her better than girls'. I like to buy the carpenter style. The waist is higher and more snug than in girls' (low rise jeans for baby girls, so dumb!) and there's lots of room for the fluffy bum. The wide legs look so cute too.

Other than those few pair of jeans, I mostly make her pants myself. That way I can make them long and slim enough. Oh, and I made her a stretchy elastic belt that she can wear with jeans or shorts that are too loose at the waist. It's pretty easy to make and you wouldn't even need a sewing machine. Just buy some elastic about an inch wide and the narrowest metal closure you can find (I like the ones with the two loops where one fits into the other, so no sharp edges). Stitch the elastic around the ends of the closure. It's not exactly pretty, but it gets the job done. If you like to sew or want to make it nicer, you can stitch a long sleeve of cute fabric and pull the elastic through (making sure to gather the fabric so the elastic will still stretch), then attach that to the closure.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:06 PM

The Genuine Kids by Osh Kosh jeans they sell at Target are adjustable waist and I'm pretty sure ODS had some in the 18mo size like that.

User Tag List