hostility toward friends at drop-off and pick-up. Why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its been going on for a while (many months) at drop-offs. But I'm starting to see it more often at pick-ups, perhaps b/c he is more likely to be engaged in play with others lately than he was before: my 3.5 yo son often lashes out (scratches, hits, yells) at his friends when I drop him off at his childcare center and when I pick him up. We try to tell the other kids that he needs some space in the morning before he is ready to play. (They do tend to come up to us and get in our faces.) He used to say "no, MY mommy"--like he didn't want to share me.

But the last few days he has been lashing out at his friends that he has been playing with nicely, when I ARRIVE. These are the kids that he usually plays with; that he talks about on the weekends. I think he is generally less hostile than the average boy. His teachers have repeatedly described him as "kind" and he has been known to approach virtual stranger children in distress to offer a hug of support.

I'd like to think that it is anger about something else that he is directing toward his friends. But I can't figure out what. It makes sense that he wouldn't want to share his mom, especially when she is just about to leave. But at the end of the day, do you think he is sad to have to say goodbye?! And expressing it as anger? Any other ideas? Do your kids do this?

#2 of 3 Old 09-01-2011, 09:11 PM

have you asked him what's going on? like, in a quiet time, perhaps at bedtime on the weekend. just be really open to what he has to say, don't put ideas into his head about what it might be, and see what he says. also, don't use any judging words about it, just be very matter of fact and convey to him that you are just curious as to why that's happening.

#3 of 3 Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I have asked him, and he said something pretty incomprehensible about playing with his friends. :-(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page