Alrighty Sept '10 Toddlers thread! I still can't believe it. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 229 Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Lila is absolutely gorgeous.

Ozzy knocks his head all the time, but in fits of rage.  If you take something out of his hand?  OH.  MY.  GOD.  He will hurl himself down and BASH HIS FACE REPEATEDLY INTO THE FLOOR.

When Em went through those year-mark tantrums, I would usually just kind of hands-off it... sit beside her, talk to her, and only hug when she was ready to be touched again.  With him, no way-- I have to sit there putting my hand between his face and the floor to keep him from hurting himself.  And he'll be moving around trying to avoid my hand so that he can bash his face in the floor, I swear to god.  He gave himself a bloody lip once when I was too slow.  I'm way way way ready for this phase to be over.

Ellie likes to tantrum like Ozzy!  She'll sit down and hit her head on the floor repeatedly, OR throw herself backwards.  (Apparently I used to do the throwing-self-backwards thing when I was a toddler too...)  Now I try to circumvent head damage by laying her down on the floor when I think she's going to tantrum--sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  No bloody lips (yet) fortunately!

She's also into everything...and the more likely something is to maim, damage, or kill her, the more interested she is in it.  lol.gif  She's now really into running and climbing, and holy hell is she fast!

No words yet, though.  Our pediatrician said 18 months was when she'd start to get concerned about language delays, but I can't help but feel worried sometimes (especially when I read that some of your LOs have 30 or so words already--wow!)

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#62 of 229 Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Past few days he has not been bashing his face, so that's good.  But he still goes in complete and utter DO-NOT-TOUCH-ME flailing around melt-down.  I'm wondering if the "super sweet happy never-fussy easy-going Best Baby Ever" is being replaced by "Toddler From Hell", lmao.   

Not exactly "Toddler From Hell" here, but yes--we've transformed from Mr. Easypants to Mr. Destroyer. He is fun, but he is a one-man wrecking crew. And he already is master of 'NO'. Yay.

Oh, and Laurski--two things on words 1) I always tell people not to compare to my kids because both sides of our families have ridiculously early talkers. It's just in their genes. My DD1 was fully conversational with strangers at 18m, as was I.  Totally not the norm, not even close.  2) As a 3rd time mom, I am much better (more lenient?) about counting words. If the same sound is used to name the same thing/action/whatever, then it is a word. With my first, I was very particular about what counted as a "word".I counted ~12 words at a year, but she was talking in full-on grammatically correct sentences within 6 months, so I am sure she had more words than that. My 2nd still is difficult to understand sometimes--she taught me that a word is a word when it is used repeatedly for the same purpose, whether it's clear or not. By THAT measure, she had at least 25 words at a year, but they definitely were not words that strangers could understand, if that makes sense. It was a good lesson. T's words are not totally understandable to us, but he definitely has words that he uses repeatedly for the same purpose. Hope that helps to reduce your stress a bit!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#63 of 229 Old 10-16-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I know she talks.. Why am I surprised when she answers questions!? *sigh* my bitty girl is growing up.  40lbs to lose before I talk dh into TTC.  

Ohh which brings me to I'm down 90lbs since I gave birth! HOLY CRAP!  50 of those were lbs I put on with my pregnancy, but the other 40 I've worked my @$$ off for.  

sk8boarder15 likes this.

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#64 of 229 Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post

No words yet, though.  Our pediatrician said 18 months was when she'd start to get concerned about language delays, but I can't help but feel worried sometimes (especially when I read that some of your LOs have 30 or so words already--wow!)

We have tantrums here too. *sigh* He's fast on his feet, walking, running, going up and down the stairs, climbing off the couch - he keeps me on my toes.

Glad you posted up, DS isn't talking yet either. He knows what he wants and is good at expressing it (ie, getting a glass and taking you by the hand to the refrig for water).

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#65 of 229 Old 10-16-2011, 08:11 PM

Have I given the Emma story?

Three words at 18 months.  "Cat" (for anything she liked), "Cat-Cat" (for an actual cat), "Hey-Cat" (for hello).  Not even one lousy "Mama."

Fifty words at 20 months.

Conversational at 24 months.

When people are like "oh, my 16 month old isn't talking at all, should I be worried?"  I ask-- "Can she understand what you're saying?  Is she babbling and making vocal sounds at all?"  If the answer is "yes, and yes" I wouldn't worry a bit.  If at 16-18 months one or both of those is "no", I would get hearing checked and otherwise evaluated.

The understanding-everything really materialized between 12-14 months for Em.  Still not sure with Ozzy, I know he understands some, though.  With Emma it was when she was about 14 months and I said out loud to myself "Where is your cup?"  and she crawled across the room, pulled it out of the toy box, and brought it back to me.  FREAKED ME OUT, lmao.  Still waiting on that "holy crap you totally understand what I said" moment with Ozzy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurski View Post

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#66 of 229 Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have I given the Emma story?

Three words at 18 months.  "Cat" (for anything she liked), "Cat-Cat" (for an actual cat), "Hey-Cat" (for hello).  Not even one lousy "Mama."

Fifty words at 20 months.

Conversational at 24 months.

When people are like "oh, my 16 month old isn't talking at all, should I be worried?"  I ask-- "Can she understand what you're saying?  Is she babbling and making vocal sounds at all?"  If the answer is "yes, and yes" I wouldn't worry a bit.  If at 16-18 months one or both of those is "no", I would get hearing checked and otherwise evaluated.

The understanding-everything really materialized between 12-14 months for Em.  Still not sure with Ozzy, I know he understands some, though.  With Emma it was when she was about 14 months and I said out loud to myself "Where is your cup?"  and she crawled across the room, pulled it out of the toy box, and brought it back to me.  FREAKED ME OUT, lmao.  Still waiting on that "holy crap you totally understand what I said" moment with Ozzy. 

LMAO I love this! Lila went through a phase where she agreed with everything, but when actions would go with it I was convinced she knew what I was saying.  "Do you love Sister?" "Yesh"  But when "yesh" was accompanied with toddling to sister and kisses, it was pretty clear.  When "Are you looking for Daddy?" was met with "Yesh" and pointing upstairs to him, I knew she was really "getting it" 

Amanda

#67 of 229 Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the reassurance.  I'd write more, but am nak'ing my poor sick baby (stomach thing, now starring vomit!) to sleep.  night all!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#68 of 229 Old 10-19-2011, 02:30 PM

I'm kinda glad to see others are having tantums. I came on looking for help thinking I some how screwed up my son becuase he transformed from always super happy to often screaming throwing, yelling, hitting, if he doesn't get his way. It is NOT FUN. I really don't know what to do about most of them. Sometimes distractions works, sometimes he just tired a needs a nap, but a lot of times he just gets over it in a few minutes...  but if he gets something hes not supposed to have, or its time to leave somewhere. Oh man he gets PISSED. At least he is sleeping better! 2 wake ups a night usually and we have had two nights of sleeping all night!!! 

M has been walking for a while now, hes starting to walk up and down stairs, and dance, and attempt to jump (which is funny) and tries to run. We have a few words here, dada (which can mean dad, or other things) dog/doggy, mama, ca-ker (cracker) and he signs milk (to nurse) eat, fish, more, and waves hi and bye. :) 

Any more tips on dealing with 13 month old tantrums?? 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#69 of 229 Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 AM

Can't believe we're in toddlers!

I've loved the pics, the babies are sooo cute!

Tso took his first steps at around 11 months, but only really started walking a week after he turned one. Now, he tries to run everywhere, it's funny and cute. He still doesn't like food particularly, and we're on butternut and gem squash and chicken mostly. *sigh* We're nursing frequently still and plenty overnight - no where near sleeping through and I've actually  just decided to not think about it anymore. He's a light little munchkin, weighs 8.8kg (so he's only just doubled his weight of 4.2kg). We have a few words, "Papa" "Luka" and "Hello" but he understands plenty. I'm trying to teach him Setswana as well as English, so this will be interesting.

He's allergic to egg and won't drink cows milk or anything made with cows milk, so I assume he's intolerant or something. So, I made his cake from scratch. It was actually yummy. He didn't eat it though lol!

It's been lovely catching up on everyone :)

Amanda_Reyasmom likes this.

Mama to Luka - 22 February 2005, Tiisetso - 18 September 2010 & 3 angel bubbles
#70 of 229 Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Mark will eat cheese, but will not drink cows milk or almond milk, but its fine he eats very well otherwise. 

#71 of 229 Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Ozzy will eat anything.  (Including things that are not food, LMAO)  I've been lucky that neither of my kids have any allergies or sensitivities.  

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#72 of 229 Old 10-24-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

This baby is so cute I can't stand it!

Here she is "hiding" from her sister

298194_10150492502697678_608592677_11398004_1334116665_n.jpg

Amanda

#73 of 229 Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

Mark will eat cheese, but will not drink cows milk or almond milk, but its fine he eats very well otherwise. 

We are trying to transition DS to whole milk, however he seems to get the runs when we give him milk. He eats cheese and ice cream, so I was assuming he is not lactose intolerant. Am I wrong in assuming that? Should we keep giving the milk and let his system get used to it? We are doing it slowly, mixing his bottles 1 part milk - 3 parts formula. Although my DH mixes it 2:2 ratio.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#74 of 229 Old 10-26-2011, 09:59 AM

I think it's normal for there to be a stronger reaction to pure milk than to milk in its other forms. If it's causing trouble, lay off for a little while and try again later.

My DS we think has a sensitivity to cow's milk protein and I have been dairy free for at least a year now. We tried introducing cheese and yogurt, and I think it has affected his sleeping. So, we're going to lay off again a bit. The problem is, he won't take my milk when I'm gone (about 30 hrs a week!) and he's not very interested in nursing anymore! The doctor said he has fallen from 90th percentile at birth, down, down, down at each visit to 25 percentile and she's a bit concerned. She wants to get more fat in him, and suggested doing more dairy (and that she could do an allergy test if we wanted). Arg, so hard! But, I can't imagine him taking cow's milk if he won't even take mine! But, then, why is it that he is more than happy to eat cat food??????

So, are there any other non-walkers out there? I'm not worried about it, I guess, but he does seem slow in other ways. Well, at least, quite a bit slower than my DS1. DS1 sat up at 4 months, crawled at 6, walked at 10. DS2 sat up at 7, crawled at 10, and I'm predicting about 15 months for walking! He is cruising, though, and has great balance. But, he won't take steps if we hold him up as if to walk, he just plops down. I figure he will probably just up and decide to walk one day, and that will be the end of it! This will save me a lot of back-ache, as DS1 constantly wanted someone to hold his hands as he tried walking!

As far as words go, we have one -- "uh-oh". He says it all the time. Very cute! He also tries very hard to say baby, and it comes out "daddy" lol! :) He can also say "palta" which is avocado in Spanish, but hasn't done it consistently, so I'm not counting that one yet.

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#75 of 229 Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDolphin View Post

We are trying to transition DS to whole milk, however he seems to get the runs when we give him milk. He eats cheese and ice cream, so I was assuming he is not lactose intolerant. Am I wrong in assuming that? Should we keep giving the milk and let his system get used to it? We are doing it slowly, mixing his bottles 1 part milk - 3 parts formula. Although my DH mixes it 2:2 ratio.

If it was true lactose intolerance I'm pretty sure all dairy would bother him, but milk might be worse. We tried giving him milk again the other night and he drank it down fast! Then... threw up all over... not sure if its a coincidence or not. But we won't be trying again for a little while. I know babies do not NEED milk. They just need all the things in milk! So as long as they are gettting calcium, fat, and protein, they are good. 

#76 of 229 Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Let's see the Halloween pics! 

My little clown fishy
392590_10150510538532678_608592677_11516721_854332803_n.jpg

Her big sister... Water

309786_10150510601242678_608592677_11517390_1174984638_n.jpg

And my favorite Halloween ever--Zombie Reya

222659_6391797677_608592677_336550_884_n.jpg

Amanda

#77 of 229 Old 11-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Hobbit!

DSC_7303.JPG

Mama to Silas Anansi, born 9/9/10 and Petra Eadaion, born 10/1/12.

#78 of 229 Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM

OH.  MY.  HOLY.  CUTE.  That is frickin awesome, lmao.  So simple but you can totally tell what he's supposed to be.  It's the vest.  Hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilatti View Post

Hobbit!

DSC_7303.JPG

#79 of 229 Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 PM

aw, awesome pics!

just wanted to chime in on tantrums.  We got the Happiest Toddler on the Block DVD (since my husband won't read books) and the method they use (toddler-ese) has been working really, really well for dealing with tantrums.  In short, you get to your toddler's level and repeat in 2-3 word phrases what you think he's feeling/thinking, to show you get it.  

For example, I had to trim nails this morning and got the tantrum.  I sat on the floor next to him, made icky faces, and said "No, i don't want my nails cut!  No no no!  Mommy no!" and I actually got a smile from him before he calmed down enough that I could get the job done.

might work for y'all too, just a thought...

#80 of 229 Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post

aw, awesome pics!

just wanted to chime in on tantrums.  We got the Happiest Toddler on the Block DVD (since my husband won't read books) and the method they use (toddler-ese) has been working really, really well for dealing with tantrums.  In short, you get to your toddler's level and repeat in 2-3 word phrases what you think he's feeling/thinking, to show you get it.  

For example, I had to trim nails this morning and got the tantrum.  I sat on the floor next to him, made icky faces, and said "No, i don't want my nails cut!  No no no!  Mommy no!" and I actually got a smile from him before he calmed down enough that I could get the job done.

That totally works with my 2.5 year old.

Not yet with Ozzy.

#81 of 229 Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Huh, interesting!  I will have to try that method, JulieInChicago, for our next diaper change. Those are some epic tantrums!!

So far this morning, T "fed" the dogs--broke into the pantry, opened the dog food bin, knocked it over and was holding court throwing dog food into the air and yelling, "Dogs! Food! Eat!!" And then he and the dogs escaped outside because one of the dogs can open doors that are not latched tightly. He is a whirling dervish of mischief!

Here he is with his jack-o-lantern and as a pumpkin on Halloween:

038.JPG

044.JPG

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#82 of 229 Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 AM

This is definitely a method that everyone should have up their sleeves! It may not always work, but sometimes, it is a lifesaver! I remember with DS1, there were stages in his development when it worked, and stages when it didn't. But, in general, the concept of naming their emotion to them, explaining how they feel, showing them you get it, reflecting back to them, is a way to communicate with your children for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieInChicago View Post

aw, awesome pics!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#83 of 229 Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 AM

Halloween DH, Mae and I dressed up together... a little girl with her teddy bear and sock monkey! (big two were Harry Potter and Princess Peach)

378591_10150345180496400_709041399_8719050_1619545613_n.jpg9a.jpg

M
ae is... a comedian... a tattle tale... she loves to ride her little push bikes, sit in that little green car, anything that moves... she loves to dance, she loves to go outside and if she hears the word "outside" will be at the door before you can think twice... she loves talking on the phone but can tell when no one is talking back and dislikes that... She LOVES her big brother and sister to pieces and gets so excited when they come home from school or come back in from outside. She also loves her Daddy to pieces which broke my heart last week when he had to stay at work for 3 days... we stopped to take him a sweater and some snacks and she sat in the van yelling "Dada! Dada! DA... DA!!!!" the whole time.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#84 of 229 Old 11-08-2011, 11:43 AM

You guys are amazing...I was hoping to find a thread still going, and here you are!  Yay!

MP, it is SO GOOD to see you with your dh. :D  Is he home for good?

Here are some recent photos of dd... the first one is on her birthday:

DSC_7142.jpg

And the rest are from Halloween weekend:

DSC_9980edit.jpg

DSC_0092edit.jpg

DSCN5501edit.jpg

She's such a sweetheart, though she's starting to get into a tantrummy phase.  Anyone else dealing with that?  She has a great receptive vocabulary, but not a ton of words yet (though she's very reliable with yes and no, and uses them appropriately to tell us what she wants)...I'm not sure if her tantrums are because she's frustrated at not being able to talk, or if they're just part of the "learning what no means" phase, or what.  She IS getting all four molars at once, which looks b-r-u-t-a-l :(, so that could be part of it.  Poor kid.  She's been so fussy with molar pain, along with pointing at her head when I ask what hurts, that I took her in yesterday to see if it was her ears.  Nope.  Just molar pain.

I have question about the holidays, too.... what are you guys getting for your little ones?  I'm in need of some age-appropriate gift ideas.  I was thinking of getting her a doll cradle for the kids' dollhouse (really a closet in our house, but it's a doll house to them), but I'm just not sure.  I did find an embryonics sing with me cube on craigslist, which we'll be picking up for one of her presents.  I think she'll LOVE that....it's always been one of the favorite toys for our little ones, but after four kids our other one is kaput.  I'm also going to get her the next size up in that dress she wore for her first birthday...it's my favorite on her, and boatbaby posted that she'd found where to get larger sizes online.  Yay!

http://www.soul-flower.com/hippie/KDZ001/Child%27s+Little+Flowers+Gauze+Sundress.html

What are you all doing for this holiday, though?  I wish I had something that was perfect for her, but I can't think of anything right now.  It's such a strange time to think of gifts....I don't feel like she has any concrete interests yet for me to work from.

Nice to "see" you all...now I'm going to go catch up on the last few pages! 

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#85 of 229 Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Love the pics, Mae and ROM!!  And ROM, soooo good to see you!  I was just thinking of you the other day.

Holidays:  I haven't gotten that far!  Everyone is asking what my kids want, and if I don't move quickly enough, the good gifts will be bought up by the g-parents :(  DS inherited my nephew's whole trainset, complete with table, so anything in that vein is out. The ILs got him a foot powered car for his birthday, so that is out (he loooooves it). We had a big set of wooden unit blocks passed on to us from friends. Really, we have a TON of toys geared to the toddler set already. So I have no ideas. We still have toys in boxes from LAST Christmas!

#86 of 229 Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 AM

lol...looks like a lot of you are dealing with tantrums!  I'll have to try the idea of vocalizing their feelings.  I've been using extinction...basically just ignoring her when she throws her head back and screams, but then giving her hugs and comfort when she chooses to interact again or come to me in a more appropriate way, even if she's upset.  It's helped, but it hasn't solved the issue of tantrums.

ETA: Hi PinkBunch! :D  We're dealing with the same issue...lots of toddler toys already.  It's a great "problem" to have, but I still would like to have something special for dd under the tree.  I wish I knew what she'd like in a few months!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#87 of 229 Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Lila used to have a great vocabulary.. She's abandoned all her words other than mama, mum, and Mommy.  *sigh* 

For Christmas she's getting a wheely bug shaped like a little mousie, a couple of books, some reusable snack bags, some baby legs, probably a diaper, (I've had my eye on a cheshire cat one) She'll get candy, fruit and nuts in her stocking with some lotion, she's obsessed with lotion! And probably some bubble bath. (And Christmas pajamas that everyone opens on Christmas eve along with some custom made slippers)   I think I'm about done with shopping for her.  Oh and probably a snowsuit, if we can keep it packed up til then lol.  Ohh and another amber necklace.  I forgot about that.  

Here she is being sooooo silly :D

317714_10150484908812678_608592677_11348686_408623711_n.jpg

Amanda

#88 of 229 Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM

He's got two 3 month training things next year but they are split up by about a month of home-time. 

Likely to be stuck on another deployment the year after that... and after that we dunno, it depends on if he picks up his next promotion. If he's in for "life" he's going to be gone a lot.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#89 of 229 Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM

We've got walking here for about a month. And by walking, I mean running! And yes, some tantrums. So far easily defused by toddler-ese and distraction.

For holidays, we're doing/suggesting Little People, a slide if I can find one I like, maybe a wagon, maybe another doll. She has a doll sling, so why not? :) Basically, the next step up in age-appropriate toys since we have a lot for babies but not much for toddlers.

Jenifer & Tim
Caitlin Renee, September 2, 2010
#90 of 229 Old 11-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Ozzy loves all that (luckily stuff we got for his sister, so, he gets sloppy seconds as far as toys are concerned).  Stuffed animals are pretty big right now, too, and balls of all shapes and sizes.  We don't have a wagon but we have (2 thankfully) of the little "ride along cars" that you sit on and push with your feet.  

We're thinking about getting them one of those big play houses for the backyard, like this thing:  http://littletikes-slide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/little-tikes-playhouse1.jpg  There's a few at a playground we go to, and the kids love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifera2 View Post

We've got walking here for about a month. And by walking, I mean running! And yes, some tantrums. So far easily defused by toddler-ese and distraction.

For holidays, we're doing/suggesting Little People, a slide if I can find one I like, maybe a wagon, maybe another doll. She has a doll sling, so why not? :) Basically, the next step up in age-appropriate toys since we have a lot for babies but not much for toddlers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page