Appropriate Footwear for 13-mo old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 13-mo old is running around like crazy and loves loves loves to be outside. She has mostly been barefoot, or if necessary, in Robeez, but mud season is coming upon us and I want her to be outside just as much, so she is in need of some real shoes.

I know lots of people just buy cute shoes from Target but I'm wondering in terms of good foot development, what is the best type of shoe to get at this stage, when some additional coverage from rain and cold is needed. Pretty soon I'll have to get actual snow boots, too.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

From what I understand barefoot or as close to it is best as much of the time as possible.  For when they do need to wear shoes you want to ensure that the shoes have a very flexible sole, and that the "body" (is that what it's called) of the shoe is flexible as well.  Something leather is best.  You also want to ensure that there is nothing stiff around the ankle and that the shoes aren't high-top.  (I imagine that when it's snow season that won't be possible, at least where we live!) 

I think "cute" shoes that don't meet the description from time to time for short periods or snow boots when necessary are fine.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM

We usually buy Pediped

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my kids in socks and Robeez at that age, unless it was so snowy that they needed snow boots, and on those days they had boots but put the Robeez back on inside.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:06 PM

My DS is the same age.  He only wears shoes when we're outside, and he usually wears these.  They are very flexible, much more so than anything I've seen at Target/Walmart/etc.

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

Old 09-06-2011, 04:13 PM

Moccasins are a good choice unless the weather is really bad. I read a book promoting everyone being barefoot and that was the author's first choice if you had to wear shoes. I made my kids moccasins from Tandy leather kits and they loved them. There are leather boots and they could be waterproofed.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 09-07-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions... i keep her barefoot indoors, but i like to take her out in the pouring rain, mud, and cold, which is why she needs something beyond robeez... waterproofable moccasins sound amazing... i would love to try that!!! foreverinbluejans can you tell me where to get something like that?  littlebirdy, I went to stride rite and found a very similar flexible pair... thank you!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

One of the kinds of shoes my kids wore were like these Soft Star Shoes. The brand they wore is n longer in business, my children are adults. Soft Star shoes also have boots. My kids only wore their shoes like the Soft Stars (or moccasins I made them) and the leather bottoms held up to Indiana weather. They had pull on boots they wore over their shoes for bad weather.

http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=41 

The moccasin kit I used from Tandy leather looked like this one. How cute is the headband on the same page! My kids would have liked that.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/4602-194.aspx 

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

Old 09-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I like the Smaller Line from See Kai Run and also the most flexible rubber soled Stride Rites. Order a bunch from zappos.com to feel them out.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:43 PM

I had a physical therapist recommend Stride Rites.  She said you want something with a flexible sole, but that still has some support.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 PM

I also like See Kai Run. 

User Tag List