To moms of former late talkers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did your child seem immature compared to other kids their age? My son just turned 2 and he's been slow to develop his language skills but I haven't worried because he's steadily gaining new words and seems to understand everything spoken to him. The thing that does worry me is that he seems so much younger than kids his age. I think the other kids seem more mature because they can say more but I'm not sure. Did anyone else feel this way about their late talker and did your child seem to "mature" once they caught up with the other kids' language skills?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think I can understand where you are coming from. I often find that the children I never hear speaking seem younger but I didn't notice it directly with my own ds - I think because I saw all aspects of him & not just short periods of time.

Ds was definitely later on the talking but I was never worried as it was obvious to us that he was developing & understanding. When he did really start speaking it was absolutely in leaps & bounds - acquiring many new words every day.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've noticed that ds seems less mature than dd did at his age & he's a late talker. However, we had him evaluated. He tested a year behind in speech, but, a year ahead in other areas (motor skills, etc.) He's currently in speech therapy. They all develop so differently & there's such a wide range of "normal".

User Tag List