Where do you buy your basic clothing? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 51 Old 09-27-2011, 09:06 PM
jdg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lots of Old Navy. I know it's not the highest quality, but I only intend to have the one child, and everything gets outgrown so fast anyway!

Also, Once Upon a Child (a chain used clothing store). And there's an outlet mall with a Children's Place and a Carter's and an Osh Kosh about an hour from me that I hit on Black Friday and stock up.

Jackie
#32 of 51 Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Places like Gymboree and Land's End offer much higher quality and higher prices but deeply discount if you know their sales. I'd stalk them a bit. I don't like the matchy-matchy aspect of Gymboree but when I find something plain I'll buy a bunch. I also find stuff at American Apparel. There are bulk discounts online for AA if you search around.

#33 of 51 Old 09-29-2011, 04:37 PM

I used to get the best basics from The Rugged Bear. They went under this spring, but I've heard they're going to re-open as an online outlet next year (not that helpful right now). We're also lucky enough to have several outlet shops near us for Osh Kosh, Carters, and a few other things. Even at the outlets I only shop the clearance sections and I've found a lot of simple items that way.
#34 of 51 Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Target, Old Navy, and bag.gif Walmart.  Garanamals is actually pretty decent quality and they have generic prints/patterns w/o characters and sayings.

I will have to agree with the Walmart brand. All of the Garanimals brand stuff I've gotten my children has held up really well. No fading or pilling like the Target and Kohls stuff does. Last year they had plain t-shirts in 5 colors and plain pants too. For like $3 or $4 each.

Mama to three

#35 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 10:05 AM

We get all our clothing off ebay.  I love Janie and Jack, Gymboree, etc...but really can't afford it unless it is used.  I have found basically brand new things for about 25% of the price and just love it!  I will buy new outfits for his pictures, and onesies and such from kohls....but even those I have gotten off ebay too!

femalesling.GIFBabywearing, familybed1.gif CoNapping, dog2.gifdog2.gif2 Pitbulls, cat.gif1 Cat,

babyboy.gifDS Aiden 9/2010, dishes.gifsewmachine.gifwash.gifknit.gifhang.gifStay at home wife to David.joy.gif

#36 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM

I've only tried it once so far, but Thredup.com was pretty cool when I used it. It's like getting hand me downs that you choose. $15.95 seemed kind of steep ($5 + $10.95 Shipping, they use flat rate boxes.), but once I got my box and looked through it I had made out at a dollar or less an outfit. It's like a co-op that charges a small fee and shipping, but you're expected to participate by sending out boxes of your used stuff, so it's not for everyone.

Like the above poster--the only really name brand clothes my son wears are second hand.
#37 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole730 View Post

I will have to agree with the Walmart brand. All of the Garanimals brand stuff I've gotten my children has held up really well. No fading or pilling like the Target and Kohls stuff does. Last year they had plain t-shirts in 5 colors and plain pants too. For like $3 or $4 each.

How does the sizing of the Garanimals stuff run for toddlers?  I remember getting some for her when she was an infant, and we could never use them because they were sized a bit too wide/short for my petite girl.  And does no one else sell it?  Every time I go into Walmart I vow that I will never go again.

#38 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

How does the sizing of the Garanimals stuff run for toddlers?  I remember getting some for her when she was an infant, and we could never use them because they were sized a bit too wide/short for my petite girl.  And does no one else sell it?  Every time I go into Walmart I vow that I will never go again.

I wonder how many of us out there say, I'm never going to Walmart again. And then eventually go back. I went in there today actually to get my son some brown sweats and a shirt to go with his Halloween costume. The sweatpants (no elastic on the bottom) and the turtleneck were $3.88/each.

I think the toddler sizing is alright, but my daughter is still in 12-18 month stuff and she's the tiny one. My son was in a 3T last year and all of the 3T shirts I got him were fine. He is a little on the skinnier side, but is average height. My daughter is pretty petite, about 20lbs and 29inches at 1.5 years. I thought the 12 month stuff I got her fits fine - one pair of pants and one long sleeve shirt.

Garanimals is only at Walmart because it is Walmart's brand. (Far as I am aware anyway).

I really like that they sell plain long sleeve t's, turtle necks, sweats, fleece, and cotton pants all in solids. They still have their share of ugly printed stuff too. I also noticed that the Just For You (Carters) fleece sleepers were like $7, which is so much less expensive than Carters anywhere else, even on sale.

Mama to three

#39 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 05:28 PM

We like the walmart garanimals stuff here as well.  They had some great french terry sort of pull on pants with a nice wide waistband last year that I'm hoping they will carry again this year. I think they were about $4 each, but they held up really well and actually stayed up on my guys (a lot of pants fall off or fit funny- these are great for us.)

I also check the thrift shop every so often, and get lucky with things there occasionally.  It's very hit or miss though. 

We don't live near a mall or any big stores, and while I am sometimes happy to order online, I prefer to know that what I am getting will fit and I won't have to deal with exchanging it. I'm not thrilled with WalMart, but it's what's around at a reasonable price.  My only other alternative is a baby boutique that sells things at about $40 an outfit.  Cute for a special occasion, but too expensive for everyday use. 

#40 of 51 Old 09-30-2011, 06:29 PM

I would try consignment stores and GoodWill in good areas. Back in SFO we got so much stuff cheap, new with a tag there! Now I live in a remote area, our Good Will or Once UPon a child has only washed out old crappy stuff that still costs 4-5 a piece or more! We do not have Old Navy in town. I do buy at Walmart - Garanimals has solid colors and decent quality for 3-4 a piece new. Target has some basics too and I buy it when they clearance it out (end of season) in the next size up for $1 a piece (e.g. solid colors turtleneck shirts). The Childrens Place just opened and so far no good deals, Gymboree is always expensive, Kohls/sears/jspenney never mark stuff down in our town... SO yeah it's Target or Walmart for us! Or the consigment stores back in San Francisco when we visit with family.

#41 of 51 Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post

I would try consignment stores and GoodWill in good areas. Back in SFO we got so much stuff cheap, new with a tag there! Now I live in a remote area, our Good Will or Once UPon a child has only washed out old crappy stuff that still costs 4-5 a piece or more! We do not have Old Navy in town. I do buy at Walmart - Garanimals has solid colors and decent quality for 3-4 a piece new. Target has some basics too and I buy it when they clearance it out (end of season) in the next size up for $1 a piece (e.g. solid colors turtleneck shirts). The Childrens Place just opened and so far no good deals, Gymboree is always expensive, Kohls/sears/jspenney never mark stuff down in our town... SO yeah it's Target or Walmart for us! Or the consigment stores back in San Francisco when we visit with family.

Gotta agree with the consignment and thrift stores in good areas. We live just north of SF and this week at Goodwill I scored a pair of Mini Boden cords, new with tags, for $3 ($38 on their website). I was practically jumping up and down with excitement.

#42 of 51 Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

H&M for me too.

We just bought three shirts,a dress and two pair of sweater leggings. And a pair of shoes. The shirts are a soft pink and white stripe, a brown shirt and a slate gray w/ white polka dots. Neutral but fun. I am sure she will where these things for most of the fall/winter. Gifts, the odd other purchase and her brothers hand me downs will round out the wardrobe.

You know, I used to love shopping in thrift stores but where I live now, I find the stores over priced and not a very good selection and for the amount of time I spent looking through all the stuff, I may find one decent piece. One can get Old Navy and H&M on clearance for less then the thrift stores. BUT I know that is completely geographical; there are other towns with much better and more fun thrifting! I wish we had a better thrift store selection.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#43 of 51 Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM

We do mostly yard sales, consignment sales, and Target.  We also do ebay.  I am just not convinced that at 22 months, our DD needs to be wearing a $108 coat!  Oh! We also love flash sales, and I am usually able to get nice large items such as shoes, winter coat, holiday dresses for reasonable prices. I agree with posters who say H&M, if we lived by one that sold kid clothing, I would shop there too.  

My cousin just told me about a company called Next Direct, there are stationed in the UK, but everything is CHEAP, and cute, also shipping is $5.  They have packs of tees for $15, dresses for $18, etc...

#44 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Ugh, I can't do consignment shops.  I think it's where were at.  Either things are priced too high or the conditions of the clothes are laughable.  There was a shop around us that was semi decent, however I went in recently and the jeans for girls were 5 to 15 bucks.  So I drove to khols and used my coupons and 4 10$off coupons, got 8 pairs of jeans for 17... brand new.  Nice deal!

#45 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm really, really picky about my son's clothes. I hate words or sayings on the shirts, or characters, or flashy prints or colors. Generally we like plain, classic clothing that an adult could wear... but smaller. I also have a tiny kid, so I totally understand the struggle to find good quality simple clothes that don't break the bank. I actually think this can be HARDER with girls clothes because there's an assumption that you really want everything in pink with kitties all over it.

I don't really find anything at Carters. Yes, their stuff can be a good value, but I don't find they fit skinny kids well and I find their stuff really over the top. I buy a lot of my son's clothes at Osh Kosh, but their girls stuff is definitely a little more frou-frou with little heart details, etc. I'd suggest buying boys jeans for that reason. I mean, she's 2, how different could a straight fit pair of denim jeans be other than that the boys don't have silly pink stitching all over it.

The Gap definitely has the best girls selection, I believe, because it doesn't seem to have stuff all over it and the jeans are pretty normal, but it isn't cheap. If you can wait a little bit, you can usually find good stuff on sale.

Me learning.gif+ DH hug.gif + kid.gifDaniel (7/5/10)
#46 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So, I think we're finally set for the winter, mostly with OshKosh stuff, some from the local consignment shop, and our last bit of hand-me-downs. I think nearly all the tops we ended up with have a print of some sort, but nothing obnoxious, at any rate. We didn't have an H&M near us, so no luck there. I DO wish we could do all second-hand clothing, as others said they do, but I just don't have a lot of patience for yard sales and trolling through racks of clothes at thrift stores. The way I see it, thrift stores are a microcosm of the same selection of 95% obnoxious clothing available at the regular stores in my area. I like the idea, though, of heading into Boston to poke around the thrift stores in snootier and/or hipper areas.
#47 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Now you all have made me want to go shopping!!!  We have a new H&M at the mall that I've been wanting to check out, for the kids, mostly. 

I do pretty well shopping at resale shops.  I have three that are pretty good as far as the stuff they get in there, and fairly good prices, still I'm pretty picky about it.  But it is nice to score a pretty holiday dress and what not for super cheap, compared to what you'd pay new.  Especially if you're brand-conscious.  One of the shops I go to tends to be more "name-brandy" and the others are not as much.  It's just fun to see what you can find sometimes.

I also like the Hanna Andersson outlet.  We are lucky to have one not too far away.  You can't beat their quality, which is good if you intend to pass along the clothes to another child, or a cousin, or even if you want to take them to the resale shop!  That's what I'm doing with all my kids' clothes now.  The Hanna Andersson outlet will take phone calls and will mail you your stuff, so if you are a fan of it, you can call the outlets during sales and they will tell you what they have and ship it to you.

I got a bunch of dresses for DD, who decided recently that she only wants to wear dresses, at Old Navy just before school started.  I shopped online and found that the online prices were better than the store prices, and they had the stuff in stock that I wanted.  Sure beats going out to the store!! If you order enough, the shipping is free too.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
#48 of 51 Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 PM

All this shopping talk is making me want to go out to the stores.  I do want to give the resale shop another chance this week as I need to get a few cold weather items for ds and if they don't have anything I need to go to the outlets.  It is definitely about location.  Our resale shop doesn't have a lot of quality clothes over 24 mos, especially for boys.  And like newmamalizzy said they are a microcosim of the rest of the stores out there so the chances of me finding plain clothes that are in good used condition is slim.  But, I plan to give them a chance this week before resorting to my usual suspects.

Seattle Rain, I hear you about being picky with ds clothes.  I used to love Carter's baby clothes when ds was an infant and until he was a little over 1 yo, but then he outgrew the cute stuff like and I started looking elsewhere for comfy basics and clothes that looked like something my husband would wear.  We don't do sayings or wild graphics either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post

I'm really, really picky about my son's clothes. I hate words or sayings on the shirts, or characters, or flashy prints or colors. Generally we like plain, classic clothing that an adult could wear... but smaller. I also have a tiny kid, so I totally understand the struggle to find good quality simple clothes that don't break the bank. I actually think this can be HARDER with girls clothes because there's an assumption that you really want everything in pink with kitties all over it.

I don't really find anything at Carters. Yes, their stuff can be a good value, but I don't find they fit skinny kids well and I find their stuff really over the top. I buy a lot of my son's clothes at Osh Kosh, but their girls stuff is definitely a little more frou-frou with little heart details, etc. I'd suggest buying boys jeans for that reason. I mean, she's 2, how different could a straight fit pair of denim jeans be other than that the boys don't have silly pink stitching all over it.

The Gap definitely has the best girls selection, I believe, because it doesn't seem to have stuff all over it and the jeans are pretty normal, but it isn't cheap. If you can wait a little bit, you can usually find good stuff on sale.

Imakcerka,  your post reflects my feelings exactly!  Sometimes we can find better deals for new clothes than pay the resale or consignment prices for used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Ugh, I can't do consignment shops.  I think it's where were at.  Either things are priced too high or the conditions of the clothes are laughable.  There was a shop around us that was semi decent, however I went in recently and the jeans for girls were 5 to 15 bucks.  So I drove to khols and used my coupons and 4 10$off coupons, got 8 pairs of jeans for 17... brand new.  Nice deal!

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#49 of 51 Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM

We do mostly consignment sales - There is one HUGE sale here in NJ that is not too well known, and I can usually buy an entire season for DD for well under $100 (and walk out with a garbage bag stash of clothes) - including all major brands - Gymboree, Osh Kosh, Gap, Carters, etc.  It's great because I stock up on staples, plain leggings, fleece pants, jeans, pj's, various t's, sweaters/sweatshirts, as well as cute stuff, snow pants ($4), shoes, hats, toys.  Then if I need something else, I'll usually do Target, Children's Place, or Old Navy.  The store prices are not altogether cheap (not after $1-$2 shirts), but I can then justify adding another $40+ to her wardrobe.  

The thing I've also noticed is that the selection for bigger clothes (we're now in 3T) is not a big as the selection for younger sizes, so I'm going to more sales this year to make up for it (I've never gone to more than 1).  But, I'm also now discovering they are great places to do Xmas and birthday shopping for staple toys and already got DD a dollhouse w/ tons of accessories, books, memory game, sit & spin, snow sled, puzzles - all for under $30 and just waiting for Santa to wrap!  

I feel like being "cheap" on some things helps me justify the splurge on what I think are overpriced toys and clothes.  

#50 of 51 Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 PM

I agree lunabin, I have found a smaller selection at consignment and resale shops for ds now that he is in 3T.  There are always more girls clothes than boys too (I'd be in trouble if I had a girl!).  I have also noticed the condition of the clothes is not as good as it is for the smaller sizes and for the prices these places are asking around here it is not worth it for me to shop at these stores when I buy from clearance racks and big outlet sales.  I just made it out to one of the resale shops here yesterday and came up empty handed.  There was only one round rack of 3T, boys and girls mixed together.  Only two items were deemed possibilities, a LL Bean fleece pullover for $7 (fine price, but I deemed it to be much to worn, lots of pilling and snagged cuffs), and a wool knit fisherman's sweater from wales for $16 (I really did not want to spend $16 on a sweater and it was not practical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunabin View Post

The thing I've also noticed is that the selection for bigger clothes (we're now in 3T) is not a big as the selection for younger sizes, so I'm going to more sales this year to make up for it (I've never gone to more than 1).  But, I'm also now discovering they are great places to do Xmas and birthday shopping for staple toys and already got DD a dollhouse w/ tons of accessories, books, memory game, sit & spin, snow sled, puzzles - all for under $30 and just waiting for Santa to wrap!  

I feel like being "cheap" on some things helps me justify the splurge on what I think are overpriced toys and clothes.  

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#51 of 51 Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Kohls, JC Penny

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page