Where do you buy your basic clothing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

I thought Target would be the right place to go for plain, unadorned long-sleeve tees in a variety of colors, but everything seems to have prints or comments or something.  And I want basic knit pants that are NOT leggings.  And nice plain fleece PJs.  We often shop at Old Navy for basics, but...I don't know.  I want better quality than that, but not the $14 per shirt you'd get at Gymboree.  What stores do you shop at for good, solid, but inexpensive basics (online or otherwise)?

#2 of 51 Old 09-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

I thought Target would be the right place to go for plain, unadorned long-sleeve tees in a variety of colors, but everything seems to have prints or comments or something.  And I want basic knit pants that are NOT leggings.  And nice plain fleece PJs.  We often shop at Old Navy for basics, but...I don't know.  I want better quality than that, but not the $14 per shirt you'd get at Gymboree.  What stores do you shop at for good, solid, but inexpensive basics (online or otherwise)?

Check out H&M.  I've purchased some cute, plain (variety of colors) and good quality long and short sleeve plain tshirts there. You can buy them in groups of 2 or 3 shirts in a mix of colors for I think around $12 for the 3. I also *think* they have knit pants that are plain as well.  For plain pjs, I'm not sure...but would love to know where to get them!!  I find it hard to find cute, inexpensive, descent quality pjs that aren't plastered with "Cars", Diego or some other licensed character! 

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#3 of 51 Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 PM

I honestly don't buy my DD new clothes, the new clothes she gets are from family members...

I get all her clothes at resale shops, garage sales, and Mom2Mom sales....  trying searching for a Mom2Mom sale in your area.... I have bought name brand clothing in EXCELLENT condition from these sales... I got my DD fall/winter clothes for this year and next and she is set and everything I got for under $100...

All her newborn clothes I got off diaperswappers.com in their clothing section for dirt cheap too, but I know the prices aren't that great on there anymore.... you could also always look on freecycle for anything....

#4 of 51 Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Carters. I love to dress my ds in solids- I just did get a 4 pack from carters with stripes- but I tend to go more for plain solids! I dislike any cutsey logos if I can avoid them---

Carters has all cotton long and short leeved plain 4 or 5 packs, and also solid cotton pants.

#5 of 51 Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 PM

lurk.gif

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#6 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 AM

My favourite is H&M.  I also get things from Old Navy (especially PJs and socks).  And sometimes Osh Kosh.  Although even at these stores I find things can be over-priced and stick to the sale racks!

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#7 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 AM

Target, Old Navy, and bag.gif Walmart.  Garanamals is actually pretty decent quality and they have generic prints/patterns w/o characters and sayings.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 11:14 AM

For basics I go to Old Navy and Kohls (especially Carters brand).

#9 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 05:34 PM

Savers (like Goodwill but cleaner and better organized).  They just had a 1/2 price sale over labor day weekend and I got 50 pieces for $80. Everything was brand name in basically new condition.  Then we did Once Upon a Child for the few things I could not find there.  We are now totally set for a very long time.  I would never buy DD clothing that is new unless I absolutely could not find it second hand. Even then, I would have to reconsider whether I really need it that bad. 

karika likes this.

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#10 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM

I'm a big fan of The Children's Place.  This year and last year I hit their end of the season blow out and got a huge bag of things for $40.  Good quality on the jeans and t shirts.  Lots of solids.  I have some things that my niece and my daughter wore and it held its color well and you'd never know it went through 2 kids.  

Also, ebay :)

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

#11 of 51 Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

We do buy some things at the local consignment or thrift store, but all in all I feel like I can never find what I'm looking for there, so I try to focus on sales.  We went to the Osh Kosh store today and they only had regular shirts starting at 3T.  Apparently 2 year olds are supposed to wear bodysuits still?  Anyway, I don't feel as bad about buying new because it's all going right down the line to Bea's new cousin.  At least I know it will be used at least twice.  I'll give H&M a try.  I've never shopped there before.  Let you know what I find!

#12 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM

Try American Apparel.  Their stuff is unisex, too, so you can reuse it even if you have a more kids of the opposite gender.

#13 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I go to Athletic stores, or sports world like places.  You can find great deals, last time I went to one I picked up numerous quality long sleeves for under 3 $ each due to a huge clearance. 

#14 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon View Post

Carters. I love to dress my ds in solids- I just did get a 4 pack from carters with stripes- but I tend to go more for plain solids! I dislike any cutsey logos if I can avoid them---

Carters has all cotton long and short leeved plain 4 or 5 packs, and also solid cotton pants.

Plain cotton pants and shirts from Carters smile.gif

#15 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM

We get almost all hand-me-downs and are lucky.  Otherwise, we will hit consignment sales.  I find that even ebay is a good bit more than I feel like paying. 

MIL gets us some good stuff from Gymboree on clearance from time to time, but I also have to siphon through what she gives us because some of it is stuff I don't like dressing my kid in.

We also repeat dress A LOT.  He made it through this summer with three pairs of shorts.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#16 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM

I find Kohls to work pretty well. The prices are good and there's usually a shopping pass or $10 off coupon available. 

#17 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Old Navy, Children's Place, Land's End. I'm on email lists for all these, so I usually wait until there's a good coupon to order.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

#18 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Another vote for H&M.

#19 of 51 Old 09-19-2011, 06:46 PM

I don't think I ever bought something "new" for my child and I won't, before he starts complaining.  Consignment stores and sales, Thriftstores, Handmedowns have so much available, often good quality, sometimes organic, sometimes brandnew. Mostly, I rely on handmedowns though. Relatives buy the rest.

karika likes this.

Mom since Oct'09. Wife to a loving husband. Expecting a little bean in May'12

#20 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Most of DS's clothes are from H&M. So are mine. And DH's. Haha. I'm not a big fan of shopping so I love that I can get good, decent quality, stylish stuff at pretty good prices in ONE place for everyone. H&M tends to have really good sales for kids' stuff too. And it's usually not over the top with lots of writing and tv characters etc. I hate that crud.

We have been given lots of stuff from Osh Kosh and Carter's that is nice too. MIL buys loads BabyGap stuff that is so nice and good quality, but it's so expensive, I'd never buy any of it!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#21 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 AM

http://www.greenedgekids.com/

http://www.handsomeinpink.com/

http://www.kidswearclothing.com.au/

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/

The above four online stores make up most of the clothes I buy. Green Edge Kids, Handsome in Pink, and Thinkgeek are all a bit 'alternative', but so are we. orngtongue.gif The majority of the 'storebrought' clothes we get are from second-hand stores.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpg mother to micro-preemie DD1 and 2E PG DD2. Stepmother to trans DSD. Owned by acat.gif! Pregnant and due 6th June '12. cd.gifnocirc.gifbfinfant.gif

#22 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM

I buy my sons clothes from H&M too. Super quality at decent prices :)

#23 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Hannah Anderson if you can splurge a little (or if it will be worn and handed down 2-3 times) Most things are quite durable, and some are gender neutral too.

#24 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 04:36 PM

Do you guys mean hm.com? I am confused - I checked their site and for toddlers in long sleeve tops they hardly have any selection. And they are pricey. Jcpenney, Target, Oshkosh and Children's place all have so much more selection and have sales and clearance and are overall cheaper. What am I missing?

#25 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

Do you guys mean hm.com? I am confused - I checked their site and for toddlers in long sleeve tops they hardly have any selection. And they are pricey. Jcpenney, Target, Oshkosh and Children's place all have so much more selection and have sales and clearance and are overall cheaper. What am I missing?

I think H&M only recently launched online shopping. Their brick & mortar stores have a larger selection of basic Ts, leggings, etc.

I usually do buy dd's t-shirts, etc. in their stores, but last time I was there I wasn't impressed by the color selection. They do have a lot more in person than online, though.

#26 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 08:51 PM

Mostly Baby Gap (outlet and when they have sales online, plus I use coupons for extra savings.  They are having a sale at the outlet and I just bought ds thermal shirts and some cozy cargo pull up sweats for $6 each.  I also like their pj's best for fit and choose the simple designs wait for sale online, socks when on sale online for $1.00/pr), some Old Navy pants & shirts and some Target pants & shirts.  DS is 2 now, but when he was a baby Carter's was a big one and some Gymboree and Macy's.  I have even found some bargains (soft ls tees & shorts) at the J Crew outlet.  (We live near outlets).  I always look for sales, coupons, and clearance wherever I go.  I would like to buy more second hand, but shopping for me with DS is tough, so I just go with what I know works size wise for him and buy mostly from Baby Gap currently.  I did buy quite a bit of second hand clothes for ds when I was pregnant and could shop, but like I said shopping store to store is hard these days, so I do one stop shopping and online shopping for those brands since I know what will fit him.  Now that DS is in school part time I may find some time to do second hand shopping.  For shoes we go with Striderite (outlet) and watch their sales.  We have also received about a third of his clothes as hand me downs from family and friends.  We have received very little new clothes from anyone so I feel ok filling in the gaps with new clothes since we already have used clothes and shoes to work with.  Plus, I periodically bring some clothes he outgrows to the kids consignment shop to help offset the cost of purchasing new clothes.  We don't do character clothing or logos, so I mostly buy plain shirts & pants, some striped and plaid shirts, trying to stick to elastic waist only pants as well for PLing and shirts without buttons for easy on/off.  Lots of the hand me downs we receive have logos or other things on them we don't approve of and zip fly pants, so I do trade some of those in at the consignment shop or pass them along.  We do like animals on our clothes though! DS loves cars, etc. so we have a few things (socks, pj's) with cutesie designs, but nothing garish.  I purchases his fleece Patagonia baby bunting on C-list, ebay is generally to time consuming for me.  I need to get the clothes quick and move on to the next task.

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#27 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM

Oh my gosh, I always find great steals at thrift and second-hand stores. Today I got two pairs of shorts and a zippy sweater for 2 bucks!! All they need is a wash.

always celebrating guitar.gif

#28 of 51 Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Gymboree seems pricey, but if you wait for the sales and use their GymBucks when they do those promotions, you save a lot and the clothing quality is great. I also like that they release their clothes in "lines" so it's easy to mix and match within a line to create different outfits. Crazy 8 is another great store, owned by Gymboree, and has cheaper prices. I've bought a few things at H&M, but I found their pricing to be a little weird, some things are great deals others are kind of pricey. We used to buy a lot of clothes are Target, but they were getting worn out so fast, I figured it was better to pay a little more for better quality than paying less, but having to replace all the time.

joy.giflurk.gif

#29 of 51 Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treegardner View Post

Gymboree seems pricey, but if you wait for the sales and use their GymBucks when they do those promotions, you save a lot and the clothing quality is great. I also like that they release their clothes in "lines" so it's easy to mix and match within a line to create different outfits. Crazy 8 is another great store, owned by Gymboree, and has cheaper prices. I've bought a few things at H&M, but I found their pricing to be a little weird, some things are great deals others are kind of pricey. We used to buy a lot of clothes are Target, but they were getting worn out so fast, I figured it was better to pay a little more for better quality than paying less, but having to replace all the time.

I agree that Gymboree is pricey.  I only purchased their items when my son was an infant using the Gymbucks and waiting for sales, but found that it was not worth it.  I was not so happy with the fit and the selection either.  Right now Baby Gap outlet and sales/clearance with coupons is my go to because of quality and fit for my son.

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

#30 of 51 Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM

Alot of DS's clothes are gifts or hand-me-downs. If I do buy new, it's from Target or Carter. I get Carter clothes from the outlet store, Costco and Ross.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page