Toddler likes to play alone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm feeling a little guilty lately because ever since DD started walking really well, she is really happy just wandering around exploring. She "talks" to the dog and plays with her, she pulls her books off the shelf and turns all the pages to look at them, she just plays with everything. She pushes chairs and her little grocery cart around our kitchen and loves playing / pretending with the toy phone I got her.

If she comes up to me or brings me something, I try to interact with her and play a little. I try to read to her every day, too. She is still breastfeeding constantly, so I feel like we have that contact and quality time throughout the day. She also won't nap for me anymore in the swing, so all her napping happens in my lap.

She knows I'll pay attention to her if she comes over to me. I feel like I need to be providing some kind of enriching experience like I did before and like I should be actively teaching her things...

Do you try to structure their time more, or just let them explore all day?

Honestly, she was a pretty high needs and not very happy baby, so DH and I just keep saying "Wow!!! She is so HAPPY now!" because it is simply amazing how much she has changed as she's gained more control over her body. I feel kind of blessed and happy she is acting like this, but I don't want to shortchange her somehow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM

how old is she?

#3 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 AM

Um I've been trying for 2.5 years to get DS to play on his own. I'd be thrilled if he was doing what your DD is doing!! I'm sure she'll let you know if/when she requires more from you... for now, I'd just enjoy being able to do your own thing!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#4 of 4 Old 09-26-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Um I've been trying for 2.5 years to get DS to play on his own. I'd be thrilled if he was doing what your DD is doing!! I'm sure she'll let you know if/when she requires more from you... for now, I'd just enjoy being able to do your own thing!

That's what I was thinking... I know other mamas with really easy babies and DD is finally acting like them... meaning, I can actually sometimes cook a meal or read a little bit and she'll be happy on her own. I can't leave the room, of course, though. She doesn't do well if I go on the other side of a door or baby gate. But she can hang out with me while I clean, or I can sometimes get her to stay in the exersaucer for a bit while I cook.  Right now, she is sitting next to me on the floor by the dog and our patio doors and investigating a bib, a night gown and playing with a little abacus looking toy. 

Do you have a dog? I suggest getting one lol. My boxer is amazing with her. She's only recently started pawing at DD a little and playing with her. DD climbs all over her, hugs her and talks to her and our dog just hangs out. They are buddies.

She will be 10 months in a few days.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page