Crying spells at night...27 mo old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else deal with this? I would appreciate any suggestions and all commiseration. :)

My 27 m/o DS has started waking some nights tantruming for extended periods of time (45 to 90 mins). He has recently entered a pretty fierce tantrum phase anyway, and I try to give him as much control as possible (saying yes to anything/everything during the day that doesn't have a legit reason for me to say no, offering choices as much as possible, letting him do things independently whenever possible, etc.) but now that it is spilling over to the night, we're getting very weary.

As far as I can tell/guess, he seems to do it on nights that follow a particularly stressful day or a day during which he had limited contact with me. He wakes asking for milk and when I tell him he can have milk a little later (when it's time to wake) he completely looses it. Most nights he is fine without milk, except for these particular nights. It almost seems like the "tantrum" is not really about the milk but about his need to express his intense feelings and built up stress. But I'm not certain. Anyone else deal with anything like this around this age??

I stay with him, stay calm, empathize, physically comfort, offer water or crackers (last night, juice), more snuggles, the option of sleeping with us. It all is to no avail until he gets utterly exhausted. Then he sleeps fitfully in our bed for the rest of the night and wakes early. It's miserable. :(

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM

Any chance he's teething?

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#3 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:

It almost seems like the "tantrum" is not really about the milk but about his need to express his intense feelings and built up stress. But I'm not certain. Anyone else deal with anything like this around this age??

I don't have any answers but wanted to say this sounds exactly like what my 19 month old is doing but during the day. She just seems really fustrated and little minor things set her off. I do know she has two top molars only half way through (SLOW teether, could be months before those ones come all the way through) and i do think that is part of it. I also think it has to do with fustration about knowing some words but not knowing enough to be able to communicate very well. It is hard to watch. :/

#4 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

actually, yes, he is teething...his top two second year molars have broken the surface. i stumbled across another post after posting this one that was discussing the change in temperament/personality that can come along with molars. i think i'll look into homeopathic and natural soothers for this. thanks, crunchy_mommy. and looking forward to better days and nights, kellyandbean! :)

#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 01:12 PM

I found this really helpful in coming up with a good homeopathic remedy for DS's teething (he's also getting his 2y molars): http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2260005.html We use pulsatilla for him, and it seems to work really well. We've only had to bust out the ibuprofen once when his cheeks got really swollen and painful. Only one tooth has broken through so far, he is a long slow teether, I feel horrible for him. Best of luck with your teething boy!! Definitely helps me to at least remember he is in pain rather than calling it a tantrum or discipline issue!

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page