3 year old with broken leg - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday our 3 year old daughter broke her leg at the playground. My wife and I feel absolutely terrible because she was out of sight for only a minute or so playing with an older girl and in that timeframe she fell and broke her leg. We were both getting up to see her right when she slipped and fell, but we were not able to make it to her in time to prevent it. We brought her to the hospital and found out that she broke her left tibia. It's not a displaced fracture so she didn't need to have to have it set, thankfully. However she is now in a cast that goes all the way up to her hip. 

We have found that she is having a lot of trouble sleeping because her leg spasms and causes her much pain. She is currently taking 2mg of prescription codine every 6 hours. We are also alternating this with ibuprofen because the painkiller wears off very fast. 

I am wondering if anyone else has been through this and if so do you have any suggestions? How long will this pain last her? Can we expect for it to get better in the next few days? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM

I have not been through this but I am reading this post and wanted offer sympathy.  How hard for a three year old! 

Me (34) Partner (30)  Parents to DS born at home (6/2010).  We are TTC #2.

#3 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 06:10 PM

My DS broke his leg when he was 21 months. It was a pretty minor buckle fracture. I can't really be sure how much pain he was in because he wasn't talking too much at that point. He had a few hard nights of restless, broken sleep but went back to sleeping fine pretty quickly. It didn't seem to cause him a lot of pain but we had a hard time until he was confident enough to at least start crawling. It took him awhile but I think he was more scared than in pain.

I hope your DD heals quickly. Try not to feel guilty. DS broke his leg running in the kitchen and just happened to slam into the wall and bam ... broken leg. It can happen anywhere. We can't always protect them. He is perfect now and it is a distant memory even though is was awful at the time.

#4 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

My ds broke his femur at pre k when he was 3. The pain did not last too long. HE was in a spica cast that went up to his chest down on leg covering his foot and then down opposite leg to knee with a bar in the middle Talk about uncomfortable. DOn't feel guilty it is common.
This is one of those hard times in parenting and I look back and think how did we make it thru that!!! He weighed so much in that cast and was flat like a board,,, I had to tow him in a wagon anytime we went anywhere. What a trial for he and I.
Hugs mama.... I pray for her and you and hope the time goes quickly.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/537892/my-3-yo-son-broke-his-femur

Here is a link to what I posted about it all those years ago.

As a follow up to this thread I did fight the school on it and major changes took place in their accident policy. It was ugly and awful but it is now a safer place.
They now have procedures in place to handle accidents.

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#6 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie2 View Post

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/537892/my-3-yo-son-broke-his-femur
Here is a link to what I posted about it all those years ago.
As a follow up to this thread I did fight the school on it and major changes took place in their accident policy. It was ugly and awful but it is now a safer place.
They now have procedures in place to handle accidents.  

Wow you really had a traumatic experience. Reading your story made me feel a little better about mine. I'm glad to hear that your child made a full recovery. Our daughter is already doing better. Earlier today was incredibly hard but now she is relaxing more and has already improved leaps and bounds from when I made the original post. 

Thank you very much for everyone that took the time to post. I really appreciate it. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page