Baby, it's cold inside! Suggestions for cold weather sleepwear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Howdy all!

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to put on my 13 month old DD at night to keep her warm.  We live in an apartment, and the building heat hasn't yet been turned on, and with the temps as low as they've been the past few nights, our apartment is cold!  She's been waking up in the wee hours of the morning more lately, which I think is attributable to her being chilly. 

So, I'm wondering what y'all put on your little ones to keep them from getting to frosty at night.  She currently wears the following to bed (and is still cold!):

1. Short-sleeved onesie

2. Kicky Pants long sleeved PJs

3. Sweatpants

4. Short-sleeved T shirt (sometimes, depending on the temp)

I may swap out the the short sleeved onesie for a long sleeved one (same with the T shirt), but I'm wondering what other solutions you wise mamas might have.  Anyone have any specific suggestions that might help me keep my little bean warmer?

(Oh, and I realize some folks might suggest just co-sleeping as a way to keep DD warm; we've tried co-sleeping and it just doesn't work for us, b/c she won't sleep.  Such a bummer!)

Thanks everyone!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#2 of 31 Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Fleecy footy jammies?  You can layer onesies under them.

obstruct livery vehicles

#3 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm thinking of getting this for my toddler: http://www.amazon.com/HALO-SleepSack-Micro-Fleece-Wearable-Blanket/dp/B000G0JF8M/ref=pd_sim_ba4

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#4 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 PM

We do the fleece footie pjs plus the sleepsack, linked to above (although I need to get the big one with the feet).

#5 of 31 Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 PM

I have, when it's been cold enough, put two pairs of fleece footed PJs on (we usually buy Carter's).  But, most winters I put a cotton pair of PJs with fleece sleeper suit overtop.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 31 Old 10-05-2011, 07:25 PM

yay!! Thanks for the link. I had no idea what I was going to use this winter for ds. His room gets colder than the other bedrooms, and he moves alot when he sleeps, so blankets would not work that well.

Any ideas on the size? He is 32lbs and 35". I am guessing a 4T.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#7 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 AM

We also use the Halo fleece sleepsack and it's great. Because it's sleeveless, the fleece doesn't overheat DD (14 mo). When it gets really cold, I also put her in wool pants and a cotton sweatshirt or a light wool sweater.

annaconda likes this.
#8 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just ordered a wool sleep sack for my 18 month old- it said it is not supposed to be itchy so I am willing to try it- I think there are a few wool ones out there. For now we use pajamas and then 2 blankets (which do get tangled but he sleeps in a side carred crib so I                                                                   straighten them in the night some)

#9 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 09:20 AM

We do fleece footie pjs, but they cant be reworn. They inevitably smell like pee every morning. I also have a slight feeling that they might be the cause of her current diaper rash, as they dont breathe at all. I hate them, but DD will just not tolerate a sleep sack.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#10 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM

I think babies that age are old enough to have blankets. My 15 month old son sleeps in fleece footies, but there are also two blankets in the crib. He very much enjoys pulling them up and over himself. IMO, sleep sacks are for the very young. 

Amanda_Reyasmom and Beebsmom like this.
#11 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 09:06 PM

My Aiden-bean is almost 13 months old now, and he has ALWAYS had a blanket.  I also sew my own fleece sheets, and the blanket he sleeps with is 2-ply fleece.  He wears cotton long sleeved footy pajamas only because the fleece sheet and blanket.  I only let him use a blanket because he has always loved sleeping in one as we co-slept with one from the start and we've never had any tangling issues.  He just these past weeks started sleeping with a little pillow...and all those things combined makes for a VERY snuggly warm nest!  You may want to try some fleece or flannel sheets to help stay warm.  Maybe layer a fleece blanket under the sheet to keep heat in.  I've never been a big believer in all the hard cold ways experts want babies to sleep. I'm overly cautious about some things...but sleeping is SO important I'll do whatever I think is safe and snuggly for my little guy!  My vote is try a nice fleecy blankie!

femalesling.GIFBabywearing, familybed1.gif CoNapping, dog2.gifdog2.gif2 Pitbulls, cat.gif1 Cat,

babyboy.gifDS Aiden 9/2010, dishes.gifsewmachine.gifwash.gifknit.gifhang.gifStay at home wife to David.joy.gif

#12 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM

We have a old drafty house. Not sure how cold your place is, but in the winter our thermostat reads in the upper 60s, with a constant cold draft and sometimes ice on the inside of the windows which makes it feel colder.  My husband and I sleep under 1-2 comforters plus a fleece blanket and long pjs, so I always worry about my son being warm enough. He seemed just fine last winter. I think our room is draftier than his. ... Just sharing that info for temperature comparison.

Last winter, my son wore a onesie, cotton 2pc long pants/long sleeve pjs, socks, and fleece footed pjs every night to bed. I think the fleece is better than a regular sweatshirt at keeping in the warmth and a whole body sack (like fleece footed pjs) keep all the body's heat together which makes you warmer (like how mittens with your fingers all together keep your fingers warmer than gloves with separated fingers). I also put a flannel sheet on his crib. He absolutely refuses any sort of blanket.

Mom to one happy Senorcito (06/09) ... allergic to wheat, nuts, dairy, eggs, sesame, peas and soy.

#13 of 31 Old 10-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post

I think babies that age are old enough to have blankets. My 15 month old son sleeps in fleece footies, but there are also two blankets in the crib. He very much enjoys pulling them up and over himself. IMO, sleep sacks are for the very young. 

A  lot of kids kick blankets off though.  DD1 didn't learn how to keep her own blanket on until she was 2 months shy of 3 (so a month ago lol).  Before then she'd just wake up cold and angry.  

obstruct livery vehicles

#14 of 31 Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I received my wool sleep sack today and am returning it- too itchy! I may try a cotton sleepsack or just stick with blankets.

#15 of 31 Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey693 View Post

A  lot of kids kick blankets off though.  DD1 didn't learn how to keep her own blanket on until she was 2 months shy of 3 (so a month ago lol).  Before then she'd just wake up cold and angry.  

Yes, same here. I'm perfectly comfortable with DS sleeping under a blanket in terms of safety, but he moves around too much for it to be effective.

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
#16 of 31 Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM

DS sleeps in a pair of long sleeve, long pants cotton pajamas, socks or bootie slippers, and a fleece sweatshirt. He won't stay covered with a blanket, so I put a microplush blankie under him, and one over him. He kicks the top one off at night, but with one under he is always curled up in a warm little 'nest' by morning.

slingtwin.gif Mummy to DS1, 3, hola.gif twins DD and DS2, and wife to DH asl.gif

#17 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM

The previous 2 winters, before we had heat in our house, DS spent the winter sleeping in a layer of wool next to the skin under a layer of fleece.  Usually this meant a wool tee shirt (long or short sleeved), longies (love Babyology), wool socks, and a fleece blanket sleeper (like Carter's or The Children's Place).  The wool is great under the fleece because it will absorb any sweat if he overheated (fleece is non-absorbent), and it's also an excellent insulator, but it's not a great wind (draft) breaker (which is what the fleece is for).  We installed central heat this spring, so right now he's just wearing fleece and I'm discovering he's far sweatier in just fleece.  I'm not sure I can find wool in his size anymore though. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#18 of 31 Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions!

I was hoping to avoid the footed fleece pjs, since DD seemed to overheat in those last winter, but maybe now that she's a bit older we'll try again.  I wish we could use sleep sacks, but I think she would freak out if her legs felt at all restricted.  Blankets are an interesting idea, but I think she may be too much of an active sleeper to keep them on.  I'm definitely going to look into wool top/pants...

Thanks again!  I really appreciate your input...

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#19 of 31 Old 10-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

I'm really interested in this also. I'm trying to avoid flame retardants, which are used in fleece sleepwear like the Carters footies, etc. but I'm not finding a great alternative. Last year, Daniel was in 3-6 months and 6-12 month sizes and it was easy to find thick cotton velour sleepers, but they don't make those too much for toddlers. He wears a 12-18 months and I'd love if someone had some suggestions.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#20 of 31 Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 PM

I just ordered a lambskin for DD to sleep on and these cozy pjs...

http://www.greenmountainorganics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=54_58&products_id=559

I'm hoping to keep the cold Canadian winter drafts away from her this winter. 

#21 of 31 Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM

I really like Grobags well into toddlerhood.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#22 of 31 Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Subbing in here, but those of you who go the wool route, do you rewear them for several nights?  I'd love to get some, but they're just SO expensive.  I'm not sure we could afford one, but we definitely couldn't manage more than that.

#23 of 31 Old 10-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Yes, wool is so awesome, you can wear it repeatedly without washing it... I mean, literally, unless it gets actually dirty, I would wash it every few weeks or so. I think wool naturally possesses anti-microbial properties, and it just doesn't hold a stink. Someone on here probably knows a lot about wool's amazing properties and can speak to this better. But yes, it's amazing, the only reason you might want more than one is that it takes a long time to dry. What I have used is Babyology (kinda ugly but cheap and it's sleepwear so who cares?) longies, which are actually used often for diaper covers but I use them for sleeping. I have also knitted sweaters and pants for her. The wool sleep sacks are probably a lot more expensive, but probably adorable!!

#24 of 31 Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

It helps if you lanolize the wool once a month (easy process) and use euclan for your weekly wash, but you can totally get by with one pair of whatever and just air them out during the day. It's what we're doing.

My 2 yo is huge (over 3 ft, 35 lbs) so I bought the ruskovilla dungarees on the green mountain site, which are basically the one piece zippered, footless pjs type of things made out of wool ribbing knit. I needed a one piece because we just cloth diapers and two pieces don't work. My little guy outgrew the ruskovilla long diaper cover I was using as a night time pj bottom held up with a wool onesie. I bought it several sizes too big (120 cm instead of 100) and just roll the sleeves and legs.I expect to get two winters out of it. That's how I got over the sticker shock.

It came a little scratchier then I remember the diaper cover pants arriving, but after a few washes it's softening up. I do the wool wash in my machine (another reason to size up) and then spin it on high to get all the water out. I haven't noticed any shrinkage, but again, it's about 6 inches too long in the arms and legs. Put it on a rack in front of a fan and it will dry by evening. Very cozy, but I imagine if the room were hot it would not be comfortable (too warm).

There are lots of pants options out there for wool, Disana, Little Beetle etc. but it's hard to find a zippered pj. The Gap sells cotton sleepers in size up to 5t, but they are tight to avoid flammable issues and don't fit over our cloth butt.

#25 of 31 Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM

we live in the Boston area in a 1789 Colonial, verrrrrryyyy drafty. I have used a silk filled sleepsack since my girl was out of swaddling.

she wears pj's and this in place of a blanket. She LOVES it and still uses it at 2 1/2.

And it is beautiful too!

http://silksation.com/products_babysleepingbag.html

#26 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM

DS mostly wears sweat suits, fleece pants, thermal long-sleeve shirts and thermal sets (those really tight kind, you know what I mean?)

#27 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM

DD 15 months is right now wearing regular cotton PJs with fleece over top. The fleece is NOT sold as PJs, since we avoid flame retardants and all fleece PJs contain them by law. Booooo. It's just a one-piece, footless fleece romper kind of thing. We also have an organic cotton, double-layer, sleeveless sleep sack that still gives her plenty of movement but adds a lot of warmth, we go between the two and she is pretty comfy. She's a very active sleeper and hates blankets.

#28 of 31 Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 PM
jdg

17mo DD absolutely loves her fleece footed pajamas from Carter's. They have some that have the animal faces as the feet (monkeys, monsters, polar bears, etc) and those are hands-down her favorite things to wear day or night. They keep her super-warm, so we've had no need for extra warmth even when I'm under two blankets in the same room.

Jackie
#29 of 31 Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you don't like fleece footies, you might try looking for terrycloth or velour footed PJs.  DD was a hot sleeper and we mostly used the terrycloth PJs for her -- warmer than regular thin cotton but not as sweat-inducing as fleece.  Hard to find, though. 

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#30 of 31 Old 11-01-2011, 08:24 AM

We have nights in the high 40's to 50's inside (we don't heat at night) and use wool.  I generally dress ds in wool longies and a wool sweater upcycled from old cashmere sweaters from the thrift store, and then a wool sleep-sack (open at the foot) also out of upcycled wool.  It makes a warm, soft, cozy combination that breathes well so he doesn't get sweaty but also is really comfy.

Flannel sheets are a huge help, as regular cotton sheets take longer to feel warm!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page