"diaper" rash in potty trained girl? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI guys,

My almost 3yo has been potty trained last month.  She got it right away, had only a couple of accidents the first week and is wearing underwear.  She wears night time diaper at night, but has been waking up dry for more than a week.  So we are thinking of doing away with those, too, now.  So today she tells me her vulva is ouchy, and I look to find a rash!  It is red around her labia and looked like a diaper rash to me.  I put on some desitin and put a diaper on her cuz I didn't want the cream all over her underwear.  I put on more desitin at bed time and put night time diaper on her.  So what is going on?  How can she be getting diaper rash wearing underwear and using potty?  I wipe her when she uses bathroom, really a gentle dab is all we need usually.  Any ideas?

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

#2 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sounds like not wiping well enough to me. Maybe try the wet type of TP - like flushable wipes - and see if you can clean the pee up better? If it's her labia it sounds like it's pee that's sitting on her skin. The other potential I can think of is bubble bath - that can do this too. If she takes a bubble bath, her her bathe in plain water from now on.
#3 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

If she takes a bubble bath, her her bathe in plain water from now on.

Or make sure to at least rinse her vulva well after she stands up to get out of the bath. We use water after going to the bathroom too. We keep a small watering can with a short spout next to the toilet for this purpose, though I know many people who use a hand held bidet -- like a diaper sprayer hose. We're cleaner and a plus is we use way less toilet paper!

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#4 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Could she be allergic to your laundry detergent? My dd is allergic to most commercial detergents(as am I) and she had a similar issue recently. She's been potty-trained during the day and wearing underwear for about 6 months now and just wears a diaper at night. Her vulva got really red and irritated and she was constantly touching or itching it. It turned out she was allergic to the detergent her preschool teacher uses. The preschool is in the teacher's home and if any of the kids have an accident, she'll usually just wash their clothes there. I talked to the teacher about it and she agreed to just send DD's dirty clothes home with us instead of washing them. We just put a wetbag in her backpack and the teacher puts the dirty clothes in there for us. I re-washed everything that had been washed at school and the rash and itchiness were gone within a few days. We make our own detergent specifically to avoid issues like that.

Wife to DH stillheart.gif 08/09 and SAHM to DD 09/08 and DS 11/11

Surprise! Expecting #3 Nov. 2013!
***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36 yikes2.gif **40

#5 of 6 Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

She is wearing underwear, right? Probably touching herself with dirty hands/long fingernails/rubbing. DD did the same thing. We had to have some rules about how to touch our body (which I hated, because I didn't want it to be "bad") but it was clearly the cause of rashy irritation.

#6 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your thoughts.  I started to really get in there with wiping and that solved the problem almost right away.  I guess I didn't have as much access at the potty compared to when I was changing her diaper! 

enjoying motherhood way more than science:
married to DH love.gif (2003) mama to DDenergy.gif(Nov 2008) & DSbabyf.gif   (Mar 2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page