Potty training question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure this is the right place to post this - but here goes...

We just started potty training my DD last week and it's going great!  The only issue we have with it right now is that she only gives us a moments notice when she has to go (I'm talking 15-30 seconds).  We generally do a mad dash to the potty and everything is fine.  

But, I don't want to revert to pull-ups unless we have to, and we have to venture out in public at some point.  We are planning on going apple/pumpkin picking, going to a zoo soon, etc. where bathrooms might be a good 5-10 minutes away or even face a line.  And while I'll be sure to have her try the potty before we head into someplace like an orchard, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get her to give us more notice?  Is this something that just happens with time?  

I feel a little pathetic even asking this, but I really hate the idea of her having accidents when she really is doing so well...  I'm sure that some period of public accidents is normal, but I just wonder if there's anything I can do to prepare her for this next challenge?    

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM

I wonder if a travel potty would be helpful for you. http://www.amazon.com/Kalencom-2-in-1-Potette-Plus-Blue/dp/B0016L0MMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1317858017&sr=1-2

I've heard you can just use plastic grocery bags instead of their expensive liners, too.

That would help avoid accidents when you're out and about and don't have a bathroom nearby. I imagine her giving you more lead time will come as she adjusts, but this quick potty fix could help keep her confidence up in the mean time.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 PM

I totally recommend one of those travel potties.  Or even just sticking a regular potty chair in your trunk.  I know my son would sometime just pee outside depending on where we were.  I'm not sure how well that works with girls, but I know my friend's daughter would do it.  I figure dogs pee outside all the time...I think a potty training toddler should also be able to. :)

Mama to three

Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What we did was whenever we went somewhere we did a bathroom trip before leaving the house, then when we arrived somewhere we went again (this was mostly so ds could see that there was indeed a bathroom there) & then again before we went home. We rarely had accidents out & about. I did carry a seat reducer for a couple months but it wasn't long before we didn't need that.

Of course, we always kept a change of clothes in the car & didn't make a big deal about accidents.

They do get better with time at telling you.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 PM
kkd

I LOVE the Pottete Potty seat that someone recommended - I take it with us everywhere.  You can use it in the car with a plastic bag under it, outdoors on the ground, or on a public potty.  On a public potty, I put one of the paper toilet seat things down, then the seat, and that way she doesn't touch anything icky, and the seat doesn't get icky either.

For accident prevention, you can use a waterproof cover over her underwear - I've had super good luck with the Dappi covers.  They are nylon, and not crinkly like the Gerber covers.  I haven't had any leaks with the Dappis when she's had an accident.  If you cloth diapered, you could use one of your cloth diaper covers as well, over the underwear when you are out.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

When my son was just getting into using the potty, I would still put a diaper on him for trips outside of the house. As he remained dry for longer and longer amounts of time, I started asking him to potty before we left the house. By that time, he could give a decent warning time that he needed the potty.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM

I completely agree with all of this lifeguard!  We did the same thing and it definitely helped him to see the bathroom wherever we went, even if he didn't have to go right then.  We would bring his potty on long drives, and when I was feeling nervous I would put a cloth prefold underneath him in his carseat just in case.  And always carry plastic bags and changes of clothes smile.gif

They definitely get better about realizing the feeling sooner with practice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post

What we did was whenever we went somewhere we did a bathroom trip before leaving the house, then when we arrived somewhere we went again (this was mostly so ds could see that there was indeed a bathroom there) & then again before we went home. We rarely had accidents out & about. I did carry a seat reducer for a couple months but it wasn't long before we didn't need that.

Of course, we always kept a change of clothes in the car & didn't make a big deal about accidents.

They do get better with time at telling you.

happily married since 2006 with toddler son (born August 2009) and baby girl (born November 2011).

Old 10-06-2011, 04:47 PM

You might also find she holds it much longer out and about- we have occasional accidents at home, but pretty much NEVER when out. Not only does DS hold it way longer when we are out, but when he lets me know he needs to go, he'll hold it until we get to the bathroom. At home, he'll look down for like A SEC and then go! So I would say, bring spare clothes, bring a portable potty if it makes you feel better, but just give it a try, be confident in her abilities and have fun picking apples!

"That's the way it is, if that's the way it seems to you."

"Cosi e se vi pare."

Luigi Pirandello

Old 10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
kkd

Ditto that - same experience here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrabbitfly View Post

You might also find she holds it much longer out and about- we have occasional accidents at home, but pretty much NEVER when out. Not only does DS hold it way longer when we are out, but when he lets me know he needs to go, he'll hold it until we get to the bathroom. At home, he'll look down for like A SEC and then go! So I would say, bring spare clothes, bring a portable potty if it makes you feel better, but just give it a try, be confident in her abilities and have fun picking apples!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

One, take a travel potty. We like the smallest bjorn. The new rule is that after you drive, you take a short pee pee break. Before you drive, etc. Basically, start waiting for her cues all the time and ask her to go some of the time. Make sure she has a potty she can get to herself and if she is independent-minded easy to take off clothes.

User Tag List