Any minimal sleep in car means no nap?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My boys will be two at the end of the month.  I feel like just now we're starting to get through the haze of poor sleep.  It's amazing.  But naps are killing me.

If it doesn't happen early, we're hosed.  Like 11 am latest.  And if we go out and they happen to fall asleep in the car for 3 minutes - no nap.  I feel like I'm trapped in my house until afternoon, and then I have to rush whatever we're doing so I can get home and make dinner.  Half of my day gets wasted.

I'm so tired of managing someone else's sleep I could scream.

Any words of advice?

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

All my kids have been like that and well before age 2, they stop napping by then! Yes, when I have a kid in that phase, I spent my life scheduling around naps. I have to make sure we are home before they get tired or else, 3 minute car nap equals very miserable day. It shall pass someday. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Yep. Here too. DS woke up early this morning, and then fell asleep in the car at 10:45 for 15 minutes. And that was that.

(Early to bed tonight!!)

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 2.6-year-olld has been giving up her nap, and since she's started giving it up, that's what I've found. She sleeps sometimes, but not if she has slept even just a few minutes in the car. My older one gave up naps at 18 months, so it is possible for them to stop napping at that age.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM

If DD falls asleep for just a few minutes and then wakes up, no nap. It must be so much harder with two.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM

My DD has been like that since....pretty much birth. Even five minutes of car sleep can throw off a whole day and, since she switched to one nap at a year old, those five minutes would mean a whole day of no sleep. I watch her like a hawk if we have to drive close to nap time and have been known to pull over and wake her. I try to avoid having her fall asleep in the first place by getting her to interact with me or a snack or some toy long enough to get home.

Beth, SAHM to the little french goose, 6/17/09 and my little panda bear 2/6/12. I nursed with low supply, domperidone and a lact-aid for 18 months!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:54 PM

I hear you. The only solution I've found is to use naptime to prep dinner (a slowcooker is great for this) so when the kid wakes you can get out and enjoy the afternoon.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
Old 10-09-2011, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ARGH! Yes. Me too. Hate that. 15 min car naps kill the prospect of a good real nap. Well, usually. Sometimes if I try REALLY hard, I can get him to go down for a nap 2 hours later. When I see him start to nod off back there I open the windows and start singing at the top of my lungs! Or I ask him to make all the animal sounds he knows over and over till we get home! "What sound does a pig make?" etc... It works. But it's a bit harder to concentrate on driving....

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 10-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

The worst is when they skip a nap altogether, and you think you'll be able to get them to sleep early that night. Then, when they do go to bed early, they wake up at midnight, ready to play!

Or, when they skip a nap, and still won't go to bed early at all.

Can you tell I'm struggling with sleep issues at the moment? LOL!  23 month old DD is going through some new sleep regression phase or something. She's been fairly predictable up until this, so I'm caught off guard!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 AM

Uh huh... we often have exactly this problem.  If my son sleeps for 2 minutes in the car and wakes up while being smuggled inside, that's it, naptime is over for the day.

We have gotten a little better at sneaking him out of the car and into the house.  It seems to be helpful for him if I lay down with him and pretend to be asleep.  I also don't bother trying to take off his jacket/shoes etc until he's soundly asleep.  And I try really hard not to talk to him at all between the car and the bed.  But that's all pretty straightforward and intuitive stuff you're probably already doing... so no real advice here, just sympathy and the hope that it gets better.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

User Tag List