Constantly nursing at night @ 14 months - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-06-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 14 months and a great, easy going kid.  She doesn't even cry with babysitters.  She has been tasting solids since she was 7 months but didn't start eating 'til 12 and since she started eating she has been constantly nursing at night.  She eats three small meals a day and some snacks and she still nurses on demand (some days more than others but at least 6 times a day).  The trouble is for the past two months since she started solids she has been nursing all night long- waking from 4-6 times, usually 6 times.  I wouldn't mind much except that I am pregnant and a little uncomfortable nursing at night.  My husband takes her for an hour each morning so I can sleep in so I am not tired but I am SO IRRITATED to be woken up so often!  If she nurses and still fusses my husband will take her (about once a night) and put her back in the bed.

We are going to a chiropractor in the hopes that an adjustment might make her more comfortable.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I love to nurse my baby and I really don't mind to nurse at night but I am not happy with being woken up so often for two months.  At night I think I might night wean but she's really chugging for at least 4 of the nursings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've heard that this is fairly normal.

I certainly went through it at that age. Seemed from 14mos. until about 20mos. my dd nursed more than when she was a baby baby!! It was a frustrating time, but we got through it. I couldn't even sit down without her wanting to nurse! But right before 2, she settled down and became more reasonable, and I became pregnant too...so maybe that helped?

I do remember one thing that really helped was telling her she could nurse before or after something in her routine. For example, when she asked to nurse at night and I really didn't want to I would say "you can nurse after bath time", and she would be cool most of the time. She knew she'd have a bath soon, and she could wrap her head around the fact that she could nurse then. I did that at a few other times of the day around something familiar we always did. Maybe that would help you guys, too. I just remember trying to always keep my cool, and remember that nursing was best for us.

Hope you get through this quickly, mama:)

expat-mama likes this.

Mama to oneone, and a brand new!
#3 of 4 Old 10-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I agree with the PP. 

My DS was the same way at that age.  Just curious, do you offer to nurse before your LO eats solids?  The night nursing was less intense after that.  It gave him the mama time he wanted as well as the food. 

I hope it gets better for you!

'09   
#4 of 4 Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My LO is the same way right now (just turned 16months).  But in our case I think it is due to teething. She has been struggling with her molars for over a month!!! They've finally popped through after 4.5weeks! molars suck. Now, I think I see her canines coming through...

I was thinking about gently night weaning but I think I should wait until she finishes teething..poor baby.

This is the method i was thinking about doing: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Cloth diapering, Babywearing, Breastfeeding first time mama! Our bundle of joy was born June 15, 2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page