ISO Natural Curly Hair Product - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter has super curly hair. Now that the air is dryer it is getting frizzy and tangled. Can anyone recommend any affordable and natural products for her. I'm thinking leave-in conditioner or detangler. California Baby is too expensive!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 AM

I have struggled to find something natural for less than California Baby.  But I have found products in that price range that are natural & work better for curly hair.  We love Cal Baby but when their hair gets really long, I need a better detangler/leave in at that point. 

We have been trying a few of the products from the Kinky Curly line.  My hair is pretty curly & both my DDs were born with long, curly hair.    http://kinky-curly.com/shop.php

There might be another brand in our basket right now but DD1 is still sleeping...I'll check in her room once she wakes up.  

I have also heard some good things about the Curls line of products.  They look somewhat natural...

http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-products/Moist-Curls-Moisturizer-Detangler-p-398.html

I REALLY wish Ouidad would take the bad ingredients out of her products.  I used to only use her line years ago not knowing about "natural" yet & while it was expensive, it was worth every penny.  My hair never looked better.  

http://www.ouidad.com/KRLY-No-More-Knots

http://www.ouidad.com/KRLY-Pump-And-Go

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#3 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 07:05 AM

You can take a drop of jojoba oil and rub your hands together, then run your fingers through her hair to spread it evenly. It works best on damp hair and it only takes a tiny drop. Other kinds of oil work too but jojoba is really nice.
mum5 likes this.
#4 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM

Jojoba is pretty great.

I have naturally curly hair, and I can tell you that the best thing for dry frizz is to just stop using shampoo. I haven't shampoo'd my hair in three years and it's never been healthier. I just take conditioner (anything that has no silicone in it, which can build up on hair- beware of ingredients labelled "-one") and I rub my scalp with my fingers and rinse out. It will clean the scalp and hair without stripping natural oils away. I know, it sounds like my hair would be oily and dirty looking. Trust me, it's not. When I tell people I don't shampoo, they are always quite surprised.

If that doesn't seem the route for you, I also recommend making your own spray at home. I do this now with water, conditioner, a few drops of jojoba oil, and a few drops of my favorite essential oil. Lavender is a great choice. It's a natural and cheap detangler/leave-in.

Also, the book "Curly Girl" is my bible for hair-care. It has some wonderful recipes for hair care products you can make at home, and advice on how to manage the three "types" of curly hair. I recommend it highly. It has great info on how to handle kids' curly hair, too, such as suggested haircuts and styles that are easy to manage and still totally adorable.

By the way, kudos to you for looking into this for your LO. I spent most of my childhood with a mother with stick straight hair who was so frustrated by my curls, and took to just savagely brushing my hair trying to pull out the kinks. It never worked and I had such a negative view of my hair and my appearance for years. Mamas with curly haired little ones do their kiddos such a sweet honor by trying to learn how to care for their naturally unruly, lively locks. :)

"The Mothers are the brave ones." - Call the Midwife

#5 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 08:38 AM

My hair is naturally very curly and frizzy. It's dreaded now, so I don't have to fuss with it much (sweet, sweet freedom), but back when it was loose, going no-poo and oiling it worked wonders. I washed with baking soda once a week, and rinsed with apple cider vinegar every other day, and oiled it very regularly with olive oil (since that's what I usually had on hand). As long as I didn't go overboard with the oil and kept it away from my roots, my hair sucked the oil right up and it never looked oily. It just looked shiny, it tamed the frizz, and I could actually get a comb through it. FYI, if you do take the no-poo route, there tends to be an adjustment period, so don't be put off by the first couple weeks. 

#6 of 15 Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also use EVOO. When I get out of the shower I put about a dime size amount in my hand then rub my hands together and apply from the bottom of my hair up. A light touch at the end on the head area to tame frizzies. BTW I have long hair. After applying the olive oil, I use a large tooth comb to detangle and distribute evenly. I usually wash my hair at night, so when I am finished I braid my hair into pigtails while still wet. I don't use anything to secure the braids, the curls keep them in well enough. In the morning the curls are soft and tame. I find the EVOO to cost less than Jojoba oil. Although I do use that on my face. Good luck.

partners.gif Wife to mysuperhero.gif             
hang.gif Mommy to thehomebirth.jpg miracle of our love lovestory.gif  our sweet dog2.gif andchicken3.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-10-2011, 07:30 PM

another vote for the jojoba oil!! and the no poo too :)

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#8 of 15 Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your answers! I'm going to go get us some jojoba oil!

#9 of 15 Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 AM

live curly live free is a great site too!

#10 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I third the jojoba oil as well.  I only use it to deep condition, if used daily, it is too oily in my hair (thin, but have a ton!) .  I use Aubrey Blue Chamomile poo and cond.  After a shower, I put a tad on my palm (conditioner) and run it through my hair.  Keeps it tame.  I also recommend a shower filter.  I struggled with my hair for YEARS... dry, unruly, you name it.  Once I installed the filter, my hair tamed way down, manageable. Not to mention, my skin improved as well.  Chlorine. 

I love the idea of no poo and using ACV or baking soda... couldn't get through the first week. 

'09   
#11 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwillow View Post

I third the jojoba oil as well.  I only use it to deep condition, if used daily, it is too oily in my hair (thin, but have a ton!) .  I use Aubrey Blue Chamomile poo and cond.  After a shower, I put a tad on my palm (conditioner) and run it through my hair.  Keeps it tame.  I also recommend a shower filter.  I struggled with my hair for YEARS... dry, unruly, you name it.  Once I installed the filter, my hair tamed way down, manageable. Not to mention, my skin improved as well.  Chlorine. 

I love the idea of no poo and using ACV or baking soda... couldn't get through the first week. 

The first couple weeks are absolutely terrible in my experience. I've stepped away from no poo a couple of times so I've experienced that more than once. It's horrible. I felt so disgusting. After you get through the adjustment period, though, it's great. Biggest lesson I learned is to wait to start until you're in a place where you aren't going to need to be looking your best for a bit, and to have a hat or scarf handy for going out. Also, starting gradually keeps the changes from being quite so extreme, and figuring out the perfect amount of baking soda is key. I had a hard time not using too much at first, which just isn't a good thing. For me, a tablespoon of water diluted in 2 cups of water works perfectly. Your scalp isn't going to feel the same after being cleansed with baking soda as it would be being cleansed with shampoo, so that takes getting used to. I started out washing with BS and ACV everyday and slowly worked towards once a week. After you've settled into a routine, your scalp will begin to adjust, and start producing less oil. For me, after the first two weeks the grossness and craziness of my hair started to subside, and by week 3 I was totally in love with no poo. For my DD (4 or 5 when we started), the changes weren't quite so extreme. Her hair (which is naturally straight and fine) looked dull and limp for the first week, and then came back to life. My DS (14 months) has been no poo his entire life, so there was no adjustment period. So far, I've only used water on his hair, and it's never been oily or dull. I guess it's just worse for adults who have been shampooing for so many years. Again, though, if you can get past the adjustment period, it's awesome. My hair was in the best condition of my life and it was really nice being able to cut out the cost of conditioner and shampoo, especially considering I have tons of hair and went through a lot of that crap pretty quickly.

#12 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooraloora View Post

The first couple weeks are absolutely terrible in my experience. I've stepped away from no poo a couple of times so I've experienced that more than once. It's horrible. I felt so disgusting. After you get through the adjustment period, though, it's great. Biggest lesson I learned is to wait to start until you're in a place where you aren't going to need to be looking your best for a bit, and to have a hat or scarf handy for going out. Also, starting gradually keeps the changes from being quite so extreme, and figuring out the perfect amount of baking soda is key. I had a hard time not using too much at first, which just isn't a good thing. For me, a tablespoon of water diluted in 2 cups of water works perfectly. Your scalp isn't going to feel the same after being cleansed with baking soda as it would be being cleansed with shampoo, so that takes getting used to. I started out washing with BS and ACV everyday and slowly worked towards once a week. After you've settled into a routine, your scalp will begin to adjust, and start producing less oil. For me, after the first two weeks the grossness and craziness of my hair started to subside, and by week 3 I was totally in love with no poo. For my DD (4 or 5 when we started), the changes weren't quite so extreme. Her hair (which is naturally straight and fine) looked dull and limp for the first week, and then came back to life. My DS (14 months) has been no poo his entire life, so there was no adjustment period. So far, I've only used water on his hair, and it's never been oily or dull. I guess it's just worse for adults who have been shampooing for so many years. Again, though, if you can get past the adjustment period, it's awesome. My hair was in the best condition of my life and it was really nice being able to cut out the cost of conditioner and shampoo, especially considering I have tons of hair and went through a lot of that crap pretty quickly.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I really need to try again.  DS and DH do not use poo and do just fine, they both have straight hair though.  3 weeks... ugh.  Worth it though.  Thanks again for the inspiration!

'09   
#13 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Thought I would add that I have curly/wavy hair and for me in the dry times I use a lightweight conditioner as my shampoo and then a heavier conditioner on the ends....Make sure That I dry with a tshirt NOT a towel and that I gently comb up from the bottom with a super wide tooth comb. something like Aubrey's chamomile volumizing conditioner for shampoo and aubreys chamomile hydrating for the conditioner. With Aubreys gpb used once a week or so for a deep conditioner.

Aubreys makes a great gel stuff magic ginkgo, that is nice to use after a shower that adss a lot of conditioning and very little gel control. it really helps protect hair.

The thing to always remember is that curly hair is always dryer then straight since the natural oil made on your scalp does not get down the hair shaft as easily as with straight hair.

#14 of 15 Old 10-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Also check naturally curly. Com for lots of other product reviews & tips. I don't go there often anymore but years ago it was my hair saver when I was learning to deal with my curls after many years trying to straighten.

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#15 of 15 Old 10-17-2011, 01:35 PM

I've been a hair designer for 35 years and I have worked in developing products for major hair care manufactures. Worries about whether a product is "natural" or not for the hair does not hold any value except for environmental concerns. Hair is dead and does not care whether a product is chemically based or "natural". In fact, as you may have experienced, "natural" products can be just as damaging if not developed properly. Applying Jojoba is a fun idea but to test how this and other ingredients work, simply shampoo your hair after the application without adding any conditioner and let dry naturally. What ever your hair feels like basically is the true condition of your hair.

Deep conditioners really don't go deep at all. Whether a conditioner is applied with heat, head wraps, or what ever, it still only lays on the cuticle the same as Jojoba and any other combinations of softeners. None of them can penetrate and attach to the cortex layer, which is the fundamental body of the hair shaft. Conditioners can not retain or supply moisture. Moisturizing products are mild feeling surfactants not moisture. The true moisture comes from the tap or rain.

Because moisturizers do not supply moisture but instead, a soft feel due to the surfactants, they only lie on the hair for 2 to 3 hours until they either dissipate in dry climates or dilute in wet or moist climates. After all, it's not how great your hair looks and feels after treatments and while inside, it's how long it feels great and looks good from shampoo to shampoo.

So many people make statements about how certain products are "natural" but fail to read the ingredients and research whether the ingredients are truly "natural" or not.

Moisture can not be controlled by water. ALL hair products are water soluble, meaning that they will soon fail you. Go to www.gotfrizz.com, read, and watch the videos. Learn what hair and hair products can and can't do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page