Do you adjust bed time when your toddler has a late nap? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always second-guess my decision in this situation. For instance, today DD (23 months) went to sleep about 1.5 hours later than usual, not waking until 3:30. I let her stay up an hour later...but she almost always wakes at the same time in the morning regardless of what time she falls asleep. Then she's exhausted the next day. BUT, if I try to get her to sleep before she's ready, it's a nightmare. Even the one hour later situation like tonight resulted in her taking about twice as long to fall asleep.

I'm just curious what others who have been in this situation are thinking...notes.gif

#2 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 PM

Well, we recently dropped DD's nap because her napping for any length of time was keeping her up super late at night. She is the same as you describe too. It doesn't matter what time she goes to bed, she is almost always up at the same time every morning. Very, very rarely she will sleep in a little later if she comes to snuggle in bed with me... but I also work a few days a week so her sleeping in is not an option on those days.

So, yeah, for us the best thing to do was stop napping. Now she goes to bed 2 hours earlier and is getting the sleep she needs at night. But, if she does nap at all (fell asleep in the car or was just soooo exhausted she can't last), I plan on bedtime being much later. I try not to let that happen unless I know we don't have anything going on the next morning so I can at least try to get her to sleep later in the morning.

Mallory. Happily married to Joe since 6/25/05. Loving my adventure with my girls, Owyn Samantha, born 3/1/09. dust.gif and Greta June, born 11/2/11  babygirl.gif

#3 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't feel proud to say it, but yes, I do adjust the bed time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes I just don't feel like fighting, lol. My little guy is the opposite though - if he goes to bed later, he sleeps in a little later, which means I generally do too redface.gif

#4 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM

We actually wake up our daughter from her nap always by 3:00 (if she hasn't woken up by herself) or she will not go to bed at her normal bed time around 8. 

#5 of 13 Old 10-12-2011, 10:26 AM

My guy has to be up from his nap by 4 to go down again by 8.  So I will wake him up at 4 if I have to.  I don't like doing it, but pushing bedtime back doesn't accomplish much since he'll be up early regardless. 

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 13 Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I generally plan to push bedtime back, but she often surprises me by being ready for bed earlier.  She usually takes short naps if they're later than usual, though.  I'm sure that makes a big difference.

#7 of 13 Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Yup, if my little guy naps late, I normally shift his bedtime back by the amount of time he slept. Typically if he goes down later I will also not allow him to sleep for longer than hour and 15 minutes.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#8 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Yes, I do, and it's not really a choice in this house! DS nurses to sleep, and if I try to get him down at a normal time if he has a late nap, he just won't sleep. Period. He'll just nurse and roll around for hours. If he naps after 2:30, I can be sure he won't be asleep until 9. We just adjust our lives around this, because I'm not ready to give up his naps at this point - he's only 20 months.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#9 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Yes, I do. Normally, DD will go to sleep for a nap anywhere between 1:30-3. So if she sleeps later than 4:30, I know she'll stay up later and we will go to bed around 9-9:30. She also sleeps later in the morning, though. In fact, she's still asleep now, lol, bed was at 10 last night because she was sleeping with Daddy until 6! I'm going to get her up because I want her to take a nap earlier today.

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#10 of 13 Old 10-14-2011, 08:17 PM

I see nothing wrong with adjusting the bedtime. It shows flexibility and going with the flow! We adjust bedtime if DS has a late nap, and if he has no nap, we adjust it as well (earlier).

Mama to a 3 year old awesome kid, Rowan (aka Mister Boopy) and TTC another at 43!

fambedsingle1.gif gd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif vbac.gif goorganic.jpg

Herbalist, Acupuncture student, Mama, Blogger!

#11 of 13 Old 10-16-2011, 04:47 PM

We also adjust a little most of the time if she naps late. But not by much more then a half hour because like yours she only will sleep until 6 no matter what time i put her down to bed. I rarely let her nap past 3:00 if i can help it and i also try to count her "awake hours" in the day as well and if she has been awake for 11ish hours that day i put her down anyway no matter if she has only been awake for 4 hours since her nap...usually it takes longer to get to sleep but at least she doesn't end up overtired and wired.

#12 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 AM

Not usually... my son seems to be equally tired at bedtime regardless of when he had his nap so late naps don't usually impact bedtime.

Which is not to say that he always goes to bed at the same time at all.  If he is totally totally wide awake at bedtime (regardless of naptime), we will let him stay up maybe half an hour later.  Similarly, if he's exhausted and it's still half hour before bedtime... we're not waiting.  I like to watch his attitude more than the clock.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#13 of 13 Old 10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartwren View Post

We actually wake up our daughter from her nap always by 3:00 (if she hasn't woken up by herself) or she will not go to bed at her normal bed time around 8. 

yeahthat.gif

Or at least with dd2 it is the case. Our two dd are sharing the same room, not putting them to bed at the same time never works out fine. So NO napping past 3 pm. If on some exceptional busy days she falls asleep after 3, then nap is limited to 20-30 minutes which seems enough to give her a quick recharge of her batteries until bedtime, but not enough to keep her awake.

That said, when we only had dd1, we adjusted all the time. The logistic of two with one napping and one not napping has changed my answer.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page