Tell me about toddler sleepytime - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD is 13 months.

Up until the last couple of weeks, nap and bedtime was fairly consistent and painless: sling, boob, sleep, bed (we co-sleep).

Now, it's like she's too busy to sleep. It takes her forever to go down for a nap. Unless I muscle her in to stay, she wants to escape from the sling. At bedtime, she'll fall asleep right at 7:00, but often pop back up and hour later, ready to play. If I try to nurse her back down or put her in the sling, she screams bloody murder.

So, it seems like we're in some kind of sleep transition, but I don't know what it is! She's down to one nap a day, so we're not dropping a nap. Her sleep (or non-sleep) routine is taking up half of my day. It's getting very frustrating.

So, tell me about toddle sleepytime. How does it change from babyhood? How can I help her and me through this transition?

Thanks!

Mama to baby girl, born 9/10; expecting baby #2 4/13.

#2 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

So, for example, tonight: She went down no problem at 8:00. Woke up at 8:30, ready to play. I've spent the last hour trying to get her back down, and finally had to give up because she started screaming. This could go on for hours before she goes down for the night for good. How can I get bedtime back on track? I can't spend four hours every night trying to get this kid to sleep.

#3 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 PM

I totally am there with you, (I really thought that 13 months was THE WORST for sleep EVER!)

DD is 14 mths and I have just recently figured out some things that help her... (like as in a week or so ago...I may be jinxing myself) here is the BIG secret...we HAVE TO have 1 hour of "quiet time" before bed.  No quiet time = wild child until 11 pm so it's worth it to devote the 1 hour instead of rushing through my routine and having her not sleep and be wild until the middle of the night...

I've always had a bedtime routine, but it's never been really THAT quiet and dark before bed, you know - dishes getting put away, hustle and bustle of DH getting home from work etc.  I'm finding this to be making a huge difference lately.  I've started quiet quick bath, lotion rubs in dim bedroom, pjs, teeth, books and cuddles (all dimly lit with soft lullaby music playing) then off to bedroom to nurse to sleep. (We have her crib side-cared to our bed).  Takes some organizing with DH in getting the house dim and quiet and the music playing etc but it seems to really cue her body into relaxing.

For naps I play the same sleepytime cd about 1/2 hour before it's nap time... just have it on while she plays and she usually comes up to me and i put her in the sling and she nurses down no problem.  (Naps haven't been as much of a struggle as bedtime for some reason)

Sorry so long! I hope that helps... and if not - hug2.gifcuz this was me 1 month ago can totally relate!

#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2011, 06:20 AM

When did she start taking 1 nap? Did you transition her, or was it something that just happened on its own?

She may still need 2 naps. The average age for moving from 2 naps to 1 nap is 15-18 months. (I mean, when it's left to happen naturally.)

My son is almost 14 months old, and for the last month or more, his naps and bedtime have been really wonky. He was dropping naps and seemed ready to transition to 1 nap, but he was getting more and more overtired and it was affecting his night time sleep. He would wake up after 40 minutes and scream like you describe.

Anyway, long story short, he's back to taking 2 naps again and things are much better. It's harder reading his cues now, because he's so easily distracted, but I basically make a point of staying home/having quiet time around nap time so I don't miss the cues.

first-time mama to a babyf.gif born 9/2010
#5 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas!

I tried the hour of down time (pajamas, dim lights, story) the last two nights, and it seemed to work.

You've saved my sanity. THANK YOU!

#6 of 6 Old 11-07-2011, 07:08 PM

So glad to help!!! :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page