What are you getting your toddler for Christmas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I know there's another gift idea thread, but that one's aimed at a specific set of requirements, for a specific kid.

I'm wondering what all of you are thinking about getting your LOs for Christmas this year? I think I'm going to get my 18 month old this set of eating utensils that look like construction vehicles:

41z9B%2BXdu9L._AA300_.jpg

He's obsessed with cars and construction stuff, so I hope this will be a hit!

I also have to get a gift for my almost-three year old half brother, and have no ideas, as he seems to have everything! I'm hoping to get some ideas here.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 57 Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
DS will be almost 17 months. I got some duplo blocks at the big consignment & have 2 Melissa & Doug things that I bought for him last year. Not planning on much more as I strongly suspect (based on current behavior) that he will enjoy the boxes & paper much more. His favorite toy today was a couch pillow!

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#3 of 57 Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 22 month old is getting a train table from my Dad.  We are giving him some knitted puppies, books, a few puzzles, and a felt board set.

He will be 2 in Jan, and he is getting a wooden play kitchen, and some knitted food.

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#4 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 AM

No ideas here, but definitely want to hear what others are doing! I need to give Christmas/Hanukkah gift ideas to the grandparents, and they are unfortunately obsessed with plastic toys that light up and make lots of noise. I'm hoping to steer them in a different direction with some ideas, rather than directly tell them what we *don't* want (which will probably offend them).

First time mom to Max, born 8.23.2010!
#5 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 AM

probably just some art supplies, or possibly an easel if someone in the family doesn't get her one.  i have been thinking also about a camera (she's obsessed with mine and i don't want her paws on it at all) and/or some type of cd player.  i'd like to get her books on cd like the mini-records and books to go with them i had when i was a kid.  not sure about those though.

she just got a play kitchen (ikea) for her birthday, though, and at 2, she absolutely LOVES it, a great present if you don't have one already.  we'll probably get kitchen accessories for her to go with it if they don't materialize sometime before then, too.

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#6 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM

My parents got my ds a train table (from Santa), and he'll get some other odds and ends.

OP - I think I need that spoon/fork set.  WHERE did you find it????

#7 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM

We're going to get my son some dishes for his play kitchen.  (He has a good amount of play food, cooking utensils & pots and pans-- but no plates and cups or anything.)  Probably a couple of other small things (bubble bath, new socks, etc) that he needs anyway that will be fun to unwrap.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#8 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:40 AM

DD is 3.  She wants a robe, anyone know where I can find one?  Something snuggly, but not like bright pink with hearts all over it?  I'm also thinking a Play-Doh set or factory of some sort.  And a few books of mazes and puzzles, like this one.

Oh - and Busytown books!  

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/who-is-huckle-natalie-shaw/1101482891?ean=9781442413382&itm=2&usri=huckle%2bcat

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DD is 3.  She wants a robe, anyone know where I can find one?  Something snuggly, but not like bright pink with hearts all over it?  I'm also thinking a Play-Doh set or factory of some sort.  And a few books of mazes and puzzles, like this one.

Hannah Anderson?  It's a bit pricy.  Or you could check out LLBean, and Lands End - they have awesome kids stuff.

#10 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Hannah Anderson?  It's a bit pricy.  

OOoh!  Thanks!  This one is perfect!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#11 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

maybe a narrow ikea kitchen and food. she loves mixing up dog and cat food. (she is 20 mths)

i saw this really cute and low to ground rocking horse at rite aid. something she can rock on and not fall off and she loves rocking.

thats it. we have a tonne of toys from my 9 year old boy so she has lots of things to explore.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#12 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 AM

My son will be 3 in January.  He is getting some Playmobil dinosaur sets from me.  And his stocking will probably have some art stuff, schleich animal or two, and a treat.  I have no idea what his grandparents have planned.  And I would like to get him a scooter for his birthday (he played with his cousins the last time we visited and loved it!)  

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#13 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post

she just got a play kitchen (ikea) for her birthday, though, and at 2, she absolutely LOVES it, a great present if you don't have one already.  we'll probably get kitchen accessories for her to go with it if they don't materialize sometime before then, too.

I'm scouring Craigslist for an IKEA play kitchen - I may even splash out and get it new for my three-year-old if I can't find one. He loved playing with it at a friend's house. I'm also planning to buy him a basic IKEA train set. I like that it's not branded and I can buy compatible sets from other manufacturers if he likes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

DD is 3.  She wants a robe, anyone know where I can find one?  Something snuggly, but not like bright pink with hearts all over it

I thrifted a plain red one originally from LL Bean. It's really cute and warm.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#14 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Our (20 months in December) DS will be getting a ridiculously expensive wooden stable.  The wooden animals and people it comes with will be the stocking stuffers.  We KNOW he'll love it, and we're hoping that it lends itself to play for at LEAST the next 4 years (and beyond, for subsequent children)..  He's whinnying like a horse as I type... :)

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#15 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everrgreen View Post
 And I would like to get him a scooter for his birthday (he played with his cousins the last time we visited and loved it!)  

DD got a scooter for her 3rd bday in October.

It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Razor-Kiddie-Kick-Scooter-Blue/dp/B002S144LA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1320245492&sr=8-13  

It's good, DD hopped on and took off like she'd been doing it her whole life!

#16 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM

I have not read all the replies for this thread... however, I have been thinking of two ideas for my 3 year old son for this upcoming Xmas....

Now that Halloween is over, I am going to start looking around the children's consignment stores to start putting together a Tickle Trunk for him.  Anything from capes and purses and costumes will be put into a wooden box that I am also seeking!!!

Looking around at local buy and sell listings is a great and low cost way to get some cool things for your little one.

We are also excited to give him a few Vintage Fisher Price toys that a dear friend is kindly selling off... (like the parking lot etc)

Again, simple and low cost.  A few things can go a long way!!!

We are all for reduce and reuse.... checking out local book stores as well!

#17 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

My parents got my ds a train table (from Santa), and he'll get some other odds and ends.

OP - I think I need that spoon/fork set.  WHERE did you find it????

I originally saw it in the Young Explorers catalog, but their website never seems to work for me (I'm outside the US, maybe that's why?). So I just did a google search and found them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Constructive-Eating-81000-Utensil-Set/dp/B000T0JOX0

You can also get a plate that "parks" them (found at the suggestions at the bottom of the page).

Mama since 2010
#18 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post

I'm scouring Craigslist for an IKEA play kitchen - I may even splash out and get it new for my three-year-old if I can't find one. He loved playing with it at a friend's house. I'm also planning to buy him a basic IKEA train set. I like that it's not branded and I can buy compatible sets from other manufacturers if he likes it.
I thrifted a plain red one originally from LL Bean. It's really cute and warm.

The play kitchen my son has is an IKEA one and he *loves* it.  (Hence why we're getting him more things to use in it for Christmas.  :))  For us it's been worth every penny.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#19 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 01:44 PM

My toddler will be 2 at Christmas and I am not sure at all!  I love reading these ideas, though. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#20 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 PM

I have been thinking long and hard about this since well before Halloween!  (I cannot stand shopping after Thanksgiving; the stores & crowds make me nuts, so I like to plan early and get it all done by the end of November at the absolute latest.)

DS will be 17 months.  We're doing the "Victorian" Christmas at our house this year, so each family member gets something they want, something they need, something to wear & something to read - plus we'll do stockings.  So far I have:

Want: no idea!  When you're narrowing it down to just 1 toy it's really hard!

Needs: toddler sized table & chair set

Wear: winter boots

Read: A new Sandra Boynton book

Stocking: ornament, refrigerator magnets, placemat, play dough, small instrument, cookie/treat

Wow reading over that it makes me sound like Scrooge.  But it already seems like he has a ton of toys, and I know each set of grandparents will probably get him a toy, as will each of his aunts (he has 3).

Mumma to DS July 2010 and expecting another baby boy late July 2012 belly.gif

#21 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM

That doesn't sound Scroogey at all, to me! I was thinking about getting our 15 month old just one toy, since his grandparents will give him stuff and we have a tiny apartment!

#22 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 02:43 PM

DH and I are considering getting DS (27 mos) his own camera because he loves ours.  I think my mom is getting him toy kitchen stuff.  My MIL will get him something crazy and not-age-appropriate like always. 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#23 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBirdy View Post

I have been thinking long and hard about this since well before Halloween!  (I cannot stand shopping after Thanksgiving; the stores & crowds make me nuts, so I like to plan early and get it all done by the end of November at the absolute latest.)

DS will be 17 months.  We're doing the "Victorian" Christmas at our house this year, so each family member gets something they want, something they need, something to wear & something to read - plus we'll do stockings.  So far I have:

Stocking: ornament, refrigerator magnets, placemat, play dough, small instrument, cookie/treat

Wow reading over that it makes me sound like Scrooge.  But it already seems like he has a ton of toys, and I know each set of grandparents will probably get him a toy, as will each of his aunts (he has 3).

we do want, need, play with, read, too.  Honestly, if my kids have more 'wants' then they usually make a list for grandma and grandpa.  5 things plus a stocking is plenty for a 17 month-old!  I like to wrap all the stocking items in tissue paper, too... they love opening all the little treasures. 

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

#24 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 03:19 PM

DD just turned 2. She got a wood play kitchen (secondhand) from us, with a set of dishes and some accessories from relatives. She LOVES it and plays with it multiple times every day, as do the other kids who come over to play. Also, my brother made her a Duplo table from an ikea hack (ikeahackers.com) and it is awesome. She loves that too.

For Christmas she'll be getting a buffalo drum, a wagon (the kind she can pull, not ride in), and possibly a wooden dollhouse or treehouse. Plus a few books and some handmade toys (more felt pieces for her felt board, homemade books, slippers, some gnomes/play people). She might be getting a ride-on toy from relatives - probably a Skuut. But we might wait for later in the year for that, since she just had her birthday too.

#25 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
We're doing the "Victorian" Christmas at our house this year, so each family member gets something they want, something they need, something to wear & something to read - plus we'll do stockings. 

this is SUCH a good idea!!!

#26 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM

Our girls will be about 20 months.  We've gotten them a tea set, tool set, truck and a couple of stocking stuffers.  I'm also knitting them each a doll.  Considering they have so many who love them in their lives there's not much more to get them and certainly nothing they absolutely need!  Thinking of asking the in-laws for a child sized table and chairs.  Its so easy to go overboard...I just look around my house and think of where it all won't fit and that stops me from buying more!

Married 2002.  Di-di twin girls 2010.  Mono-di twin girls 2012.

#27 of 57 Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM

For us, the gifts under the tree are for both girls, and their stockings are for their individual gifts.  They will be 2 and 4.  Under the tree they're getting a little wooden barn, some animals from etsy, and a few wooden people figures. 

In my 2yo's stocking, she's getting wooden keys from mamamadethem on etsy, a new amber teething necklace (hers is getting quite small on her) some felted wool balls, and a playsilk.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#28 of 57 Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think that sounds scroogey at all! As a PP mentioned, it's all too easy to go overboard, and besides many of us have relatives that will give too many gifts anyways! We'll be at my dad's for Christmas and as much as I do want to spend the holidays with them, they tend to go WAY overboard (they have two of their own young children), which I don't like, and I don't like to set up DS to expect that every year. When we do Christmas here, we are only going to get him a few things. We get him toys throughout they year anyway and he has more than enough. Because I know my dad and his wife will get us way too many gifts, I am purposely only getting DS that one thing.

Mama since 2010
#29 of 57 Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 PM

DD will be 3 in February. 

For Christmas, she is getting this Radio Flyer scooter and a mulit-sport helmet if i can find one small enough to fit her tiny head. My goal is to spend less than $100 on her, so she will probably get books, felt food, and some kitchen stuff.  Grandpa is making her a kitchen with plans from this gal's website: http://ana-white.com/.  I'm making her a robe, apron, tea towels, and oven mitts in addition to the felt food, mostly from scraps I already have.  We do stockings, too, but I mostly put "needs" in there--hairbrush and barrettes, that kind of thing.

For her birthday, we're going with baby doll stuff, since we have a little one on the way.  I'm making a sling and a mini-ergo, and she'll get a doll highchair and maybe changing table or pack'n'play.  Not sure what else on that theme....

Last year her absolute favorite toy that she got was a Doodle Pro.  Still loves it.  This CDs is awesome, if anyone is interested--no stake in it, I just really love it: http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Songs-Collection-Childhood-Favorites/dp/B00571VYD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1320350271&sr=1-1

I also really like this doctor kit from Land of Nod, but I'm not sure about the price.  Maybe if I order something else from them.

#30 of 57 Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

From Santa we do: something to read, something to wear, something to play with, something to share, and a stocking.  Then we do wrapped gifts within our immediate family (ie a gift each from me, DH, and DD1 for DD2, etc).  We set an overall price cap per kid for the whole thing. 

I'm really struggling with ideas for DD2 this year.  She's 2 and my DD1 is 5.  We have pretty much all of the basic toddler/preschooler stuff - a well stocked play kitchen, nice cloth dolls, blocks galore, a well stocked doll house, doll strollers, puzzles and books galore, a nice swing set, play silks and dress up things, ride on and rocking things, etc.  There's nothing I could really argue she needs toy wise.  DD1 however is hitting new milestones and could really use a few things. 

So far for DD2 we're doing:

Read - Fly Little Bird (a library book she's fallen in love with, out of print so it's a used copy)

Wear - I'm splurging on a custom made Kaleidoscope skirt.  She announces "I want to wear a twirly skirt" every day.

Play with - I am so very clueless here...  I love the look of this marble tree, but I'm not sure if it would be loved or collect dust.  I'm also looking at these balance pods or a balance board, but I'm not sure if she's old enough for that yet.

Share - I think I'm having my childhood doll repaired and a few outfits made for her for my girls to share.  DD2 is VERY into dolls. 

I think either me or DH will give her a wooden stool.  Not that we don't have any stools, but I think she'd like a special one of her own.  I'm only 4ft 10in, so I use stools plenty, as do both of the girls.  Having a few spread out is very useful.

For her stocking so far I have a few neat rocks.  I'm thinking about getting her some big kid silverware.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page