Please help with croup - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DS was diagnosed with croup Saturday morning, so we are theoretically past the third "worst" night. The fever broke Sunday morning & hasn't come back but he's still coughing almost constantly. Not a croup sounding cough so much. Sounds more like the deep chest cough I get with bronchitis. Maybe its the same as croup. Anything I can give him at 15 months for the cough? But also he is coughing up (gagging on) mucus too so maybe controlling the cough is bad. He's nursing frequently. Have the humidifier on & also have steamed up the bathroom a couple times. What else can I do?

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 3 Old 11-21-2011, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Croup is the worst!  YDD had it about 18 mos and once the "worst" was over she did have that mucusy cough and even gagged and puked it a few times.   I kept her hydrated w/water, sucked her nose all the time to try and get all that stuff out.  DH was trying to teach her to spit that stuff out....it didn't work to well.  Unless you count her sticking her head in the garbage can when she would cough working.  lol Steam baths and cool mist and also if it'ss chilly by you the cold air helps too.   Or let him breathe a few bits with his head in front of the freezer.  

You could also try warm tea with honey or honey straight for his cough if you think that would soothe things.

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#3 of 3 Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Ugh he's finally asleep. His fever jumped up again. And he was breathing heavier so he got both a dose of steroids & of tylenol tonight. I was really insure about medicating but I'm glad I did. He was so very miserable. Also gave him a warm bath with California baby bubble bath. I've never seen him so unhappy in the bath greensad.gif this really sucks.

sent from my phone using tapatalk, please forgive typos

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page