3 steroids at once ok? Coughing kid - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just seems a bit excessive but wanted reassurance someone else has done this also. (not sure this is the right forum).

2yr old dd has had a cough for 7 weeks. this month we've had 3 viral flus/colds. (We only see a teacher twice a month and each time we get sick!) Her cough was non stop and couldn't sleep. It's a big manly cough not a bark or gasp but it was really bad. She throws up now once a day or two days just from the coughing.

Went to the doctors and he gave us 3 days of dexamethazone pills to be crushed into food (steroid). An inhaler to use every 4 hours (another steroid) and a 10 day supply 3 times a day of amoxillin (antibiotic.. whatever happened to 3 days only of antibiotics?). There was a tiny bit of weezing in her left lung. Of course when we went there she didn't cough once in front of the Dr. so I was thinking maybe she's just allergic to something in the house without the a/c's running.  Then she was her triple steroid cream for her face/body which she needs as it's bad WITH it... it would be awful without it.

I noticed she's getting a hairy back and even hair on her legs. Not sure if this is normal or if she's gonna turn into arnold shwartzenegger on me with all these steroids.

She's been asleep since we got home which is good but means she'll be awake all night again if not from the coughing the resting. but I am glad she is resting.

#2 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Dexamethazone is very strong, but it shouldn't cause many side effects from a 3-day course. If I remember right, inhaled steroids are unlikely to case systemic issues since less of the drug is needed. So, as far as those, I wouldn't think it would cause issues with sex hormones, etc. What kind of cream is she on? If anything, I'd suspect the cream for the excess hair growth.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#3 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

triamcinolone .1%

#4 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 PM

It looks like the topical could cause longer periods, so it might be worth asking the doctor about. If hair is sprouting up and it doesn't appear to just be a genetic thing, I'd probably ask anyways. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#5 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 PM

just thought id share that my ds's terrible cough (he sounds like my dad who has smoked for 35 years) is caused by his seasonal allergies (well year round, lol). we've mostly got it under control with allegra and nasonex, but he would cough til he threw up, especially at night

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#6 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM

what is the skin cream for?

#7 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

excema

#8 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

well she's only coughed like twice since being home from the doctors (they gave her the inhaler and steroid pills there) she slept and i am shocked it is 3am and she is asleep again. Then I panicked they gave me the wrong dosage 1000mg of amoxillin a day sounded so extreme but i guess I read the bottle wrong and it must be correct. 3 colds plus this chronic cough is making me kinda want the flu vaccine :/  This is no way to live.

#9 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM

This advice is coming from my experience with myself and family members having asthma and eczema, and my research and pursuit of natural medicine.

The steroid puffer is sometimes necessary and is likely the reason for the sudden improvement in her cough. If not overused, it will not have long-term ill effects. Same with the pills, though I would suggest putting her on a probiotic supplement as soon as the course of meds is finished to repopulate her digestive tract with good bacteria, which should greatly improve her immunity. If they ever try to put her on a steroid called prednizone, push hard for an alternative, I have seen several children with bad tooth decay from it and it can cause damage to bones as well.

I would be concerned mostly with what I take to be long-term/ permanent use of the steroid cream. The problem with steroids is that they cause us to lose our ability to heal ourselves and we become reliant on them. If you haven't already, eliminate ALL fragrance and/ or perfume products from your home, especially those that contact her skin. Use unscented laundry detergent, shampoo, soap, dryer sheets (or just don't use the sheets), and no chlorine bleach. And start moisturizing her skin daily with a homemade spray, just add 5 drops of pure lavender essential oil per cup of water. It doesn't need to be in a spray bottle, but I find it easier. You may need to keep using the steroid cream temporarily for the worst of it, until she's weaned off of it and her body can heal itself. Make sure you wash her bedding and towels frequently in hot water and you can add tea tree oil (or any essential oil) to the laundry to kill bacteria. People with eczema and acne are more likely to have staph bacteria in their linens, though whether it causes these problems is not known.

Gently exfoliate her skin once or twice a week, wash with water only most of the time, and wash with soap only weekly or when dirty (except of course for stinkier parts like privates and underarms) and then rinse very well. I know the lavender water seems light, but heavy moisturizers only mask the problem by holding the dead skin on and they prevent the skin from breathing. However, use a little of an unscented cream if needed in flaking areas if she's embarrassed. Avoid artificial fabrics and make sure she is not putting clothing on damp skin after bathing. You can even dry the flakiest spots with a hair dryer to help!

I have yet to meet an eczema sufferer who has not found at least 75% relief after purging all fragrances from their home. If this doesn't work or her, or if you've already tried it, then look into testing for food allergies.

#10 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

My head is fogged form the cold so I will reread this again later.  She has been on the steroid cream pretty much her entire life. Right now she has it on her eyelid which looks super painful. Her doctor wants me to put lamisol on her eyelid. It's really bad. She has some on her ears cheeks chin forehead, back, arms, legs and tops of her feet and on top and under her bum. We did do allergy (blood testing) when she turned two but nothing stood out. There was some minor cats and dogs and a weird grass but it was rated so low that they don't consider it an allergy. She didn't have gluten until she was 2 so I know that's not it. And the pets weren't allowed in our room or near her when this all started. I do know that tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries make it worse but tomatoes are one of the few things she will eat. At one point her entire face was raised raw and red and would seep/bleed. I even bought this vertamycin for dog hot spots to use on her. I haven't (I think it's just water anyway). I'm at my wits end with it. it's so painful and itchy. She falls to sleep circling her feet on the sheet scratching :(  We were told no baths then frequent baths. we used every shampoo. Used Dreft.. figured out dreft has perfumes and switched to no perfume. she only wears cotton. *throws hands up* I feel so bad for her. her legs look like someone took a cheese grater to them. We don't wear perfume. I took almost all the carpeting out of the house.

Because of the colds she's been taking two long warm showers without any soap and it's helping a little bit. I bought some ultra moisturizing dive cream body wash. The cetaphil wasn't helping so i figure maybe I need to turn to good moisturizers because this vaseline doesn't seem to help either

#11 of 12 Old 11-25-2011, 07:32 PM

You said "dive" body wash, did you mean "Dove"? If so, it's probably fragranced. It really less about the moisture and more about allergic reactions and bacteria/ yeast growth on the skin. Cetaphil should be fine, but Aveeno eczema care lotion is also good. Aveeno also makes a fragrance free body wash, that you could probably use for shampoo as well. I found for my LO that tea tree shampoo AND conditioner really helps, since the shampoo can be drying. You can also get lotions for eczema with urea in them, which apparently is lacking in the skin of of those who suffer from it. I haven't tried it on my LO, but my sister really likes it. Double check you laundry soap... or do you use any fabric softener?

Try giving her baths with 3-5 drops of lavender and tea tree oils to kill bacteria and help treat the skin. You could also try giving her high doses of vitamin C which helps with cell regrowth.

If tomatoes and potatoes are a problem it could be a night-shade family allergy/ sensitivity, but I have only heard of this, I don't know much about it.

Another thing to consider.... if nothing works for the eczema, perhaps it's psoriasis? If it is, then nothing topical will help other than to ease the symptoms. Psoriasis is an internal, auto-immune disorder where the body is attacking itself. So check into that too.

Your poor daughter, I hope she can find relief soon...

#12 of 12 Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Regarding possible hirsutism (the new hair), abnormal cortisol levels can create this state.

Corticosteroid medications mimic a natural hormone called cortisol, and cortisol is produced in the adrenal glands which also produce sex hormones (as do ovaries and testes). When one level is altered sometimes it alters the production in another layer of the adrenal gland.

You may want to consider adrenal function testing, or just talk with an endocrinologist about the excema and various infections and the meds that are all being prescribed, because the endocrine system governs the immune system. We need healthy levels of hormones in order to have normal immune function.

Small physiologic dosages of corticosteroids can actually improve excema and immune function long term in individuals who have a deficiency of cortisol, but when dosages are excessive it can deregulate immune function, just as much as too little cortisol can. 

People (and animals) who do not produce adeqate cortisol, or actually produce defective cortisol, that the body is unable to utilize, are more susceptable to infections, and they tend to respond favorably to small doses of corticosteroids, namely cortisone and hydrocortisone (those most like the natural hormone cortisol). It is fulfilling a deficiency of an essential hormone. However, a stigma surrounds corticosteriod pharmacauticals, and rightfully so. They are often misused. Most doctors never do any baseline testing to see what the body is already producing, before adding more to it in the way of administering pharmaceuticals, be it injection, cream, pill, etc. Therefore, doses are usually too high and when there is excessive cortisol, it also deregulates immune function, just as a deficiency does. Unfortunately most doctors see corticosteroids as a quick fix without ever seeking the root of the problem.

There was an endocrinologist, award winning, published in New England Journal of Medicine, and he was a research fellow at Harvard. His name is Dr. William Mck Jefferies. I read his book, Safe Uses of Cortisol. He studied cortisone for decades. Basically the pharmaceuticals that we have now are very 'suped' up versions of cortisone and very unlike the natural hormone. Where as Cortisone and Hydrocortisone are more so like Cortisol. However, even excessive dosages of these can cause side effects. I would reccomend you google Dr. McK Jefferies work, there is a lot available online.

Another doctor, Dr. Alfred Plechner, has done a lot of research on immune function in relation to endocrine function. He discovered in animals basically the same thing that Dr. Jefferies did, small 'physiologic' dosages of cortisone, improve long term immune function in individuals who lack sufficient cortisol production OR whose bodies produce 'defective' cortisol hormone. So by replacing what the body does not produce, similar to how people replace thyroid hormone in those with hypothyroidism or insulin in diabetics, it fulfills a deficiency so that the body functions more normally. The key though is to only replace what is needed, so physiologic not pharmacologic dosages. Pharmacologics dosages are excessive, and they are the most common dosages prescribed today. By the way, Dr. Alred Plechner is a veterinarian, whose work is recognized by the medical community. He even speaks at medical conferences, and has his research at the Broda O. Barnes Medical Research Foundation. Dr. William McK Jefferies work is also there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page