Creating a christmas for our children doesn't always mean mass consumption! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-26-2011, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to connect with other parents out there that are falling into a similar mind frame of a) feeling overwhelmed by the mass production and holiday consumerism and b) not able to financially afford all those toys!!!

My husband and I have always bought second hand.... our furniture on local buy and sell websites... anything from couches, to kitchen supplies and we have made quite a home for ourselves that feels warm and inviting from bringing in (mainly) garage sale and consignment items. 

This idea has also trailed into our thoughts when it comes to purchasing birthday or Christmas presents for him.

If you feel overwhelmed by high prices for (sometime cheaply made) toys... I have a few suggestions...

1. Check out local buy and sell websites like Kijiji. Often parents are eager to sell of their child's toy that they no longer cherish and it might be just right for your little one.

2. Check out a local consignment store.  In my area there are some amazing kids consignments stores that I love to support... I often find some wonderful puzzles, clothes and games for my little guy there!!  I also love a great used bookshop for some treasures!

3. Ask you friends.  Who knows what they may have on hand that they are ready to part with and make space for new gifts and toys coming through.

Whenever a relative kindly gives our son a noisy plastic toy, we graciously accept and then the toy may slowly 'disappear' somewhere....

I have been amazed at some wonderful toys I have come home from my son.  There is large neighbourhood garage sale that I hit every fall, and with $100 I can come home with a car load of toys for him (wooden things and metal tractors and trucks!)  and even rugs, and home furnishings for our house!

So if you are feeling uneasy about what to get your little one.... don't forget that when you spend a lot of money on toys, they often like the box it came in better!!

Be creative, explore and I challenge you all to keep it simple this Christmas and enjoy the things that really matter.

Happy Holidays!! 

saralm and Imakcerka like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page