what age for first bike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here's a question in anticipation of spring (and holiday gift giving!). I have a currently 16 month old, who is very physical. At what age did you give your LO a first bike? A tricycle or a bicycle with training wheels? My older DD was late with physical activities, so I'm not sure, but I feel like this one might be able to try within the year. Thoughts and comments? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My DS is turning 3 in Jan, and his birthday present will be a tricycle.  I thought about giving him one sooner, but he couldn't use the pedals, so I'm waiting until January (he's getting a few other big gifts for x-mas, so I'm saving one for his b-day so it doesn't get forgotten).

#3 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

For tricycles, three years is the minimum that I have read on the medical and safety sites. The manufacturers and toy stores may have a younger age reccomendation but it may commercially motivated.

#4 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM

We always did tricycles right at age 2.  And then a regular 16" bike around 3 1/2.  My 3 yr old will be getting a 16" bike for a "spring" present as will my 4 yr old.  My 3 yr old can already ride that sizewe are just waiting until it warms up.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#5 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM

Have you looked into balance bikes? I think they are so so awesome. We are planning on getting one for DS1 this summer, he'll be 2 1/2, but if it were summer now I'd get one now since he's coordinated enough to use one.

Also, if they seem expensive to you I've seen blogs where the parents just removed all the pedal parts and voila balance bike!

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#6 of 18 Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Have you also considered a scooter (a three Whelled one)

DS started wanting to use it at about your LO's age. He was just drawn to any scooter that other kids would leave in a corner of the park. One day, this great family let DS have uninterrupted time with thei scooter while they were into something else. That's when It started.

We got him one, it took us a couple of months of forgetting to bring it out with us very often but he got a hold on it at around 18/19mo.

He is 22mo now. He has great fun with it. Runs far. But.... Can only go in circles (that are widening with practice). It has to do with lack of balance so the scooter is always leaning to one side, therefore turning. And the lack of balance probably has to do with height. The handle bar is just under his nose. He can't control it so well.

He has a mini kick. I found it expensive but it is great quality and holds up well. It will be used for a few years.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

#7 of 18 Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM

How tall is she? DS could not reach bike pedals until a few months ago (he's going on 3), so she might not be tall enough yet (or maybe my DS is just short, IDK!)

We use a push bike, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Classic-Tricycle-Handle/dp/B002SW4856/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1322829867&sr=8-5 (but the handle comes off on ours & there are stabilizer bars on both side of the seat & a backrest to make it safer for long walks). I guess it gives us the best of both worlds, we go on walks and I can push when he gets tired (and use the handle to overpower him if he's losing control of the bike) but he feels like he's 'riding a bike,' which is important to him! As soon as he could reach the pedals, he started pedaling on his own, but he still can only manage short distances and only on level ground. I guess if you have a good space (driveway or something) you could just get a regular trike or balance bike and let her try... we just don't have a space like that & I wouldn't feel comfortable with him on the road without the handle yet, though from age 2.5 or so he started enjoying pedaling around independently when we were able to find safe places to do so!

Also see what sizes helmets come in... DS's little tiny helmet was loose at that age & I would not let him ride independently with a loose helmet... maybe there are smaller ones available.

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#8 of 18 Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

wow, these are great ideas!!

i think i will look into either the mini kick scooter or the push bike for her 2nd birthday. that seems the right timing. i'll check out the helmets too. we have a great bike store in town that will do a personal fit. although i won't be concerned about her going fast for the first while, it's a good habit i think.

thanks everyone!

#9 of 18 Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 PM

DD got a trike for her 2nd birthday. She is getting a balance bike for Christmas (just about a month shy of 3). She handled the trike really well at that age and loved it! She's been asking for a "big bike" for a while now. We always wear a helmet because I want that to be 2nd nature for her.

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#10 of 18 Old 12-08-2011, 03:07 PM

we have a balance bike that ds started riding (walking around the house) by 19 mos, and at 2.5 he is a whiz on the thing!

mama to one '07 and one '09
#11 of 18 Old 12-08-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

those of you that have balance bikes - what brand do you like?

#12 of 18 Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 PM

we have a mini glider. our friends have the strider bikes and they are very similar

#13 of 18 Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 AM

DD started using her balance bike just after she turned two, but we had to modify it because she was too short.   She also couldn't reach trike wheels until closer to three.  I like the radio flyer trike because it is light and easy to pedal.  Our neighbour had a disney princess trike and her kid had trouble peddling it even at 4 and 5 because it was so heavy.

My DD used this too (shared with another neighbour) and loved it!

http://www.radioflyer.com/ride-ons/scoot-about.html

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#14 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie77 View Post

DD started using her balance bike just after she turned two, but we had to modify it because she was too short.   She also couldn't reach trike wheels until closer to three.  I like the radio flyer trike because it is light and easy to pedal.  Our neighbour had a disney princess trike and her kid had trouble peddling it even at 4 and 5 because it was so heavy.

My DD used this too (shared with another neighbour) and loved it!

http://www.radioflyer.com/ride-ons/scoot-about.html

How did you modify it? DS1 has really short legs (an inseam of 12in LOL) and a long torso. He seems ready for a bike though and I was trying to think about what I could do...

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#15 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM

We got him a balance bike a little before 2, and by a few months after two he is a FAST dare devil on that! We got the toot skoot (sp?) because it was the shortest we could find and had steady wide wheels. He loves it so much now but was very hesitant at first. We have the mini kick scooter too which he likes ok and a tricycle he barely rides I'm trying to sell.
#16 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We got a metal balance bike around 21 months. It's a Strider. We chose a metal one because the worker at the bike store recommended a metal one since they don't break as easily with rough play. That store didn't sell any balace bikes, by the way, so it was strictly a recommendation without any sales. We found the bike on craigslist and paid $15 for it! It's great and he loves it. We also bought a helmet (brand new, no second hand for safety protection) and we make him wear his helmet whenever he rides so that his habit becomes bike+helmet. Right now he's 24 months and he still just walking/running with it not pushing and rolling. But he LOVES it. It's one of the toys he will scream and cry for.

#17 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 12:55 PM

i am looking at getting the next size glider bike (16 in) for dd vs the traditional bike with training wheels. ds prefers the bike to his razor scooter.

#18 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

We got a metal balance bike around 21 months. It's a Strider. We chose a metal one because the worker at the bike store recommended a metal one since they don't break as easily with rough play. That store didn't sell any balace bikes, by the way, so it was strictly a recommendation without any sales. We found the bike on craigslist and paid $15 for it! It's great and he loves it. We also bought a helmet (brand new, no second hand for safety protection) and we make him wear his helmet whenever he rides so that his habit becomes bike+helmet. Right now he's 24 months and he still just walking/running with it not pushing and rolling. But he LOVES it. It's one of the toys he will scream and cry for.

Strider here too.  Bought for our son around 14 months (he was walking at 10 months).  He loves it.  Started balancing around 16 months and is 30 months now.  It is fun to take on hikes and have him ride as we walk.  Next is a pedal bike, around 3 with brakes.  My Mom liked the Striders so much she decided to start selling them.  I think they are the best built for the money. 

Super good price on CL for you!  $15!  Good work!

'09   

Tags
Strider Prebike Balance Running Bike , Toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page