Advent Activities for Toddlers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I know we're 2 days into December, but I really want to do Advent with DS and maybe make our own calendar.

So far I've thought of making Christmas colored play dough or baking sugar cookies. Maybe coloring or painting a tree? Homemade ornaments, although I lack specific ideas for them?

What activities are you doing or would you do with your toddler? DS is 22 months.

Thanks!

#2 of 7 Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just yesterday I learned how to make 'cinnamon ornaments' - basically a homemade rolled/cut simple dough recipe that smells good and hardens after air-drying.  If that interests you, there's multiple recipes online - some for edible ornaments, some non-edible so they can be used for next year. 

Other easier/last minute ideas are: 

Laced Ornaments: Cut-out Xmas shapes (one each day from stockpaper or cardboard) that are 'Laced' with yarn to be hung as ornaments when they're all done.

Xmas Colored Paper chains: Help 3-4yr olds visually  'count down' the days til Christmas, but you could also do it as counting *up* to Xmas for your 22mths old (adding chains each day), then displaying the paperchain on a wreath or the tree...

Hope that helps!

Married: 02/04   -   SAHM to Son: April '09   -    Pregnant: Due April '12

#3 of 7 Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

DD (20 months) and I did a paper chain and she LOVED it.  But definitely get the strips of paper all cut up ahead of time. I was thinking we'd do a posterboard tree, too, with velcro dots for her to stick the ornaments on. 

#4 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Oh, another thought: No problem that it's past the 1st. You could start your advent on the 14th, like the "Twelve Days of Christmas" does, at least for this year!  And some people even continue it to Jan 1st, so there isn't an 'anti-climax' feeling after the big gift-giving and all. 

Married: 02/04   -   SAHM to Son: April '09   -    Pregnant: Due April '12

#5 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Some of the things on our calendar:

Take a nighttime walk to see the lights
Visit local lights festival
Read the Christmas story (did this yesterday, and acted it out with his toy nativity, that was a BIG success!)
Make popcorn
Make hot cocoa
Have a picnic by the tree
Listen to Christmas carols (sing along/dance/play instruments)
Wrap presents
Make a Christmas card for someone
Go to the store and buy a toy to donate to Toys for Tots
Have a snowball fight (if there's no snow, we'll make snowballs out of socks or crumpled up paper)
Make snowflakes from coffee filters
Random acts of kindness (collect all the shopping carts in a parking lot, tape quarters to vending machines, secretly leave someone a small gift)
Bake/decorate gingerbread cookies
Make an ornament (gluing glitter & sequins onto a cut-out cardstock shape is good for this age)
Make a gift for grandparents

Co-sleeping is really wonderful when your child actually SLEEPS!! familybed1.gif
#6 of 7 Old 12-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creddy View Post

Oh, another thought: No problem that it's past the 1st. You could start your advent on the 14th, like the "Twelve Days of Christmas" does, at least for this year!  And some people even continue it to Jan 1st, so there isn't an 'anti-climax' feeling after the big gift-giving and all. 

Thank you so much for making me feel better about not having my advent calendar done yet!! I started it last November, and well, it's still a work in progress.  I will finish it this weekend :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Read the Christmas story (did this yesterday, and acted it out with his toy nativity, that was a BIG success!)
Make popcorn
Make hot cocoa
Wrap presents
Have a snowball fight (if there's no snow, we'll make snowballs out of socks or crumpled up paper)
Random acts of kindness (collect all the shopping carts in a parking lot, tape quarters to vending machines, secretly leave someone a small gift)
Make an ornament (gluing glitter & sequins onto a cut-out cardstock shape is good for this age)

Those are awesome ideas! Thanks!

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#7 of 7 Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:

Just yesterday I learned how to make 'cinnamon ornaments' - basically a homemade rolled/cut simple dough recipe that smells good and hardens after air-drying.  If that interests you, there's multiple recipes online - some for edible ornaments, some non-edible so they can be used for next year. 

Other easier/last minute ideas are: 

Laced Ornaments: Cut-out Xmas shapes (one each day from stockpaper or cardboard) that are 'Laced' with yarn to be hung as ornaments when they're all done.

Xmas Colored Paper chains: Help 3-4yr olds visually  'count down' the days til Christmas, but you could also do it as counting *up* to Xmas for your 22mths old (adding chains each day), then displaying the paperchain on a wreath or the tree...

Hope that helps!

I love the idea of the cinnamon ornaments! Would you post a link to the recipe you used? I found several online, including one that uses a lot of cinnamon. I also like your laced ornaments and chain idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmamalizzy View Post

DD (20 months) and I did a paper chain and she LOVED it.  But definitely get the strips of paper all cut up ahead of time. I was thinking we'd do a posterboard tree, too, with velcro dots for her to stick the ornaments on. 

I love the idea of the poster board tree! How creative! Thanks!

Quote:

I love, love, love the idea of going past the 25th. I hate the anti-climax feeling. We don't open our presents first thing Christmas morning just to avoid that feeling. We open our stockings and have a leisurely, enjoyable day, opening gifts in the afternoon.It will be perfect to continue advent activities beyond the 25th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy View Post

Make popcorn
Make hot cocoa
Wrap presents

Thank you so much for all of these ideas! They are so very creative, too! I love the having a picnic by the tree idea!

Of course, folks are still welcome to keep the ideas rolling in. You ladies rock!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page