Desperate for any food ideas. New question post #12. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is crazy for kiefer. You can get it in fruit flavors and it has way too much sugar that way, but it's a good source of fat/protein.
#32 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for great input. It's neat to see what other kids are eating.

One last question if anybody is still reading....

What percentage of calories does your child eat vs drink?

#33 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM

You know I've never looked at the calorie counts on the coconut ices. I will check when I get home from work and let you know. DD is teething and we generally don't give her much so ice is a good way for her to soothe herself. Plus we always liked that she needs to work to get at them (squeeze the package to get more...). Like your DD, ours will not eat something other than what we are eating. And we need to put it on the same type of plate that we are using or she will just push it away.

What about mashed potatoes? DD loves them. I think that was the only thing she ate at Thanksgiving. I remember my mom folding other veggies into them for my sister who was a very picky eater when she was a child. Likewise the only thing DD gives us a hard time with is milk. She won't drink regular cow's milk and she will only drink coconut milk if we call it "tea" and give it to her in a mug.

I don't pay attention so much as to how many calories DD eats, but rather what she eats over the course of a week. The book "Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense" by Ellyn Satter was recommended to me and I found it helpful. Although we're not in the same situation, it might give you a couple of ideas. Also what about having her help you make dinner or snack or bake something? I started baking with my DD in the Fall and she loves it. It might give you an opening into her trying something different.

Good Luck! I'll get back to you about those slushie things. I couldn't find them online but I'm probably not remember the right name.

Edited to add:

"Slushie things" are Smooze Fruit Ice. They have about 70 calories in each. HTH!

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#34 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

DD2 would drink maybe 4 6oz cups of whole milk.  She ended up bulking up big time.  I would say she got most of her intake that way.

#35 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 10:47 AM

DS also loves french fries, cream cheese on a bagel or crackers, or spreadable cheese like boursin

#36 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you seen those purees in bags with a little spout and the toddler can feed themselves by sucking it out. I get these once in a while, I pick the mixes of veggies that I dont regularly buy fresh - beets and apple mix for instance. Earths Best & Plum Organics are a couple brands I can think of. Target has a nice stash and variety.

My 21 month year old is petite, maybe 30 inches now, and 21.5 pounds. I was surprised to read 1200 - 1300 calories for a regular toddler eater...I doubt my child eats that much.

She loves apple slices, yogurt (YoBaby), french fries dipped in ketchup, french toast w/ syrup. Bananas, pears, berries. Grapes. Most fruit I guess. Potatoes, carrots...not so many veggies (but will eat those purees I mentioned above).  Loves smoothies. Hamburgers. Mac&cheese. Grilled cheese. Ham, roastbeef (but I don't cook this often, gets it at my parents). Chocolate. She is a bit of a chocolate thief. She used to eat a lot more and would try anything (curries, beans, ) ... now she is much more selective.

For your last question, I think she gets equal food calories & drink calories. She doesn't drink much during the day, although I have started to give her a couple ounces of juice through out the day, along with water. And she drinks 8oz of milk before going to bed. Sometimes more.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#37 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I didn't see your response on the pureed soup idea, but perhaps she would drink a pureed soup, like a non-sweet smoothie?  Your DD actually sounds a lot like my 20 month old - we never got the latch, she had problems with bottles for ages, delayed solids to at least 8 months, then she had NO interest until over a year.  Nowadays she enjoys eating, but is VERY picky about texture and generally will not chew anything harder than cheese.  She also prefers things cut into bites rather than strips and spits out any food with a skin.  I used to buy the Plum Organics Stage 3 meals, simmer them down to a thicker texture (if necessary), add a dollop of butter (for fat, calories), and use it as a pasta sauce (small shells and ditalini are still our best shapes).  Cottage cheese and fruit is our go-to breakfast (because, like yours, nearly all normal breakfast foods are out).  Soups have always been good for us.  DD currently loves alphabets simmered in chicken broth.  I toss in some carrots and onions and mash them up in the broth so she'll eat them with the noodles.  I cook all of her food in decadent amounts of butter and olive oil.  And she LOVES those Earth's Best smoothie pouches.  They were her only food for a while when she was younger and less interested in food.  Good luck!

(BTW:  DD at 18 mos was 32.5", 22lb 2oz, and I consider her small but not worrisome.  You're not too far off!)

#38 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

French fries, puree pouches, other things I'm adding to the list, this is great.

How in the world do kids this age eat soup? Since she's not interested in eating she really really sucks with utensils, but really doesn't want to be fed by us either.

#39 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post

French fries, puree pouches, other things I'm adding to the list, this is great.

How in the world do kids this age eat soup? Since she's not interested in eating she really really sucks with utensils, but really doesn't want to be fed by us either.

Would you let her eat just finger foods for a while? maybe until she's more interested? DH hates it when DD eats with her hands (especially yogurt) but when we carefully watched what she was doing, she was picking all the "real fruit" out! Then she ate everything with a spoon. Maybe try finger foods that she can feed herself for a while and forgo the utensils?

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#40 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I can't remember if you said she ate bread, but before my daughter got the hang of a spoon we would soak chunks of crustless bread in the soup and let her pick them up with her fingers. Drinking it from a cup is another option.

If you make cold soups those can be drunk through a straw. Given that you said she doesn't have much of sweet tooth and prefers thinner liquids a cold thin soup might be a good alternative to a smoothy. More savoury flavours.

toddler.gif

#41 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Oh, another thought: have you tried putting out a snack tray for everyone? You said she doesn't like food to be special for her -- if she saw you grazing off of a snack tray would she maybe have a piece here and there? My daughter ate many many bites of other people's food long before she would really sit and eat from her own plate.

toddler.gif

#42 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:

I'll add noodles to some of the soup & she'll usually pick them out, I usually also give her a piece of toast with the soup.  Between the toast and having stuff in the soup, it'll mostly get eaten (if she likes it - best kinds are bean-y ones or tomato-ey ones I put noodles in too, sometimes ramen or rice noodle style with simple broth and scallions).  

I'll add that for a looong time she'd never ask for food, only water or ice.  And recently oj & whatever other juice we have since she (dd2) decided she liked it.  This kid, I think drinks almost as much as she eats (especially since she's still nursing).  

Some more stuff I thought of:

edamame (needs dd1 to shell them for her)

celery

goat cheese (usually on a cracker, or veg)

Dd2 we don't do this for, but dd1 was a very distractible eater and we'd often have a kid tv show on for her meal so she'd actually sit down near the food and eat it, otherwise she'd take 2 bites and walk away.  I'd also add different puffed cereals (puffed millet, mostly, I believe) to things like yogurt for her so they'd be a little less messy and easier to eat.  Plus she enjoyed getting to sprinkle them on her food.  

#43 of 53 Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 PM

My DD is 22 months and 20 lbs, about 32 tall, so about the same as yours.

She's a non-eater too, but it is well balanced nowadays with huge binges of eating.  She'll eat nothing for 2-3 days, then gorge herself on food for a day or two.  She likes:

black beans

string cheese

pancakes with maple syrup

scrambled eggs

broccoli with sesame oil

brown rice

corn chips and salsa

bananas, blueberries, grapes, apples, pears - any fruit really

frozen peas

string beans with lots of butter

full fat yogurt

smoothies, smoothies, smoothies of any kind

macaroni & cheese

whole wheat noodles and butter

oatmeal (made with milk and butter)

edamame

avocado/guacamole

apples and peanut butter

She does NOT eat:

carrots

lentils

meat

stews/soups/foods that are mixed together/not homogeneous

I too was worried about her nutrient intake especially since we recently stopped nursing.  I give her an animal parade multivitamin and she loves them.

Also, I've found that if I sneak a bit of the food on my finger and pop it in her mouth when she's not expecting it, 9 times out of 10 she'll realize its good and start eating it.  *shrug*  I hate doing it but it works.

DD#1 arrived 2/7/10!
#44 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 04:17 PM

My son (2 yrs 2 months) will eat waaaay more soup if I will spoon-feed him, and usually only if it is smooth or the chunks are very small. When he feeds himself he leaves a big trail of soup between him and the bowl and make a big mess on himself, but I don't mind much

#45 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

DD also still loves pureed food.  Hard things are still tough for her and she is 30mo.  She came thisclose to FTT ...went from the 50%tile to the 2%tile, but the ped wanted to give us one more month to do some things differently before they diagnosed her as FTT.  Anyhow, it turned out to be because of a gluten intolerance and resolved quickly, but I suspect she also still has some issues relating to her tongue tie.  I spoon fed her for a while... not pressuring her to eat, just holding up the spoon and she would come for it if she wanted but ignore it if she didn't.  I can't recommend highly enough Child of Mine by Ellen Satter (?).  It helped me sort out my responsibilities to her.

DD also loved butter.  Not anymore but when she was really underweight she gobbled up straight butter, cream instead of milk, ice cream for breakfast, and I served her as much as she would eat.  Now she is at a healthier weight she totally turns her nose up at pats of butter.

She also loves scrambled eggs, vegetables (especially carrots) cooked very soft and cut up into small pieces, soft pieces of meat cut small....

In the summer, watermelon and fresh cherry tomatoes.  She doesn't like grocery store tomatoes.

Yogurt... frozen fruit.... bananas... pears.

And she loves bready things but she is gluten intolerant and I think most of the bread substitutes are less like real food than bread is so she doesn't get many bready things.  But for a while man did she love puffy corn chip type things.  She also loves noodles.  I make a nice stock and soup and put rice noodles in it to soak up the broth and she eats that.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#46 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclamen View Post

I can't recommend highly enough Child of Mine by Ellen Satter (?).  It helped me sort out my responsibilities to her.

And she loves bready things but she is gluten intolerant and I think most of the bread substitutes are less like real food than bread is so she doesn't get many bready things.  But for a while man did she love puffy corn chip type things.  She also loves noodles.  I make a nice stock and soup and put rice noodles in it to soak up the broth and she eats that.

Cyclamen could you tell me a little bit more about the bolded if you have time? I appreciate everybody's posts so much and I have been trying a lot of the suggestions. The last few days have been really hard as her new thing is to just spit everything out. Tonight for dinner I think she swallowed two bites of salmon.

We tested dd for celiac and that came back negative- is that the same thing as gluten intolerance?

#47 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Ellyn Satter, in a nutshell, describes the parent's responsibility as the WHAT, WHERE and WHEN of feeding, and the child's responsibility as HOW MUCH and WHETHER of eating. The parent should serve a variety of healthy, nutritious foods at regular intervals and model good eating behaviors. That's it- no force feeding, tricking, bribing or being overly involved in the child's eating decisions. She says children eat worse, not better, when coerced. Letting your child fulfill her responsibilities and understanding yours relieves a lot of stress and pressure. I'm a huge fan of the book, too, if you couldn't tell...

cyclamen likes this.
#48 of 53 Old 12-20-2011, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Cyclamen could you tell me a little bit more about the bolded if you have time? I appreciate everybody's posts so much and I have been trying a lot of the suggestions. The last few days have been really hard as her new thing is to just spit everything out. Tonight for dinner I think she swallowed two bites of salmon.

We tested dd for celiac and that came back negative- is that the same thing as gluten intolerance?

Sure, I'll try to do my best.  :)  I am so sorry that you are dealing with this mama, it's a very stressful thing to see our babies go through.

Oh this is the book: http://www.amazon.com/Child-Mine-Feeding-Love-Sense/dp/0923521518

I checked it out from my library.  Satter is very compassionate in her writing and it's a wonderful book.  It was so reassuring, actually.

Basically, she talks about how parents and children have different responsibilities when it comes to feeding (and she even has a chapter on special needs feeding, feeding tubes, sensory issues etc).  Parents are responsible for what they put on the table and when.  She says that it's really important to have a dependable meal and snack routine for kids to count on.  Parents are also responsible for modeling eating foods, which just what it sounds like... kids will only want to eat if those around them are eating, and they will only want to eat what those around them are eating.  Children have to encounter new foods something like up to thirty time before they may want to try it.  Then they might have to taste it and spit it out as many as thirty more times before they will want to eat it.  They have to see us eating the foods too, it's how they are wired to know the food is okay to eat.

And children are responsible for how much and if they eat at the family meals and snacks.  That's the whole book in a nutshell, but she offers so much practical advice as well as theory. 

I realized that even though we were trying to get to the bottom of DD's weight gain difficulties, I also had to let her be responsible for her own feeding.  I do spoon feed her occasionally sometimes but like I said, I don't try to persuade her.  I saw a huge difference once I began to cool off trying to "get food into her."  She seemed to come to an equilibrium.  It is still hard not to worry and hard not to push past my own responsibility, but Satter's ideas really helped me calm down so I could actually be helpful to DD instead of more problem.  And it is HARD to calm down when you see your baby's ribs.   So, so, incredibly hard.

Also, you're right, celiac is not the same thing as gluten intolerance.  All celiacs are gluten intolerant, but celiac is an autoimmune condition.  You can been intolerant without having celiac.  DD was tested for celiac (neg T-Transglut) but I've heard conflicting thigns about the test including that it's not as accurate under the age of three.  DD was already on the gf diet at the time, so her test result wasn't really meaningful.  But gluten intolerance can interfere with weight gain, especially if it's causing frequent diarrhea.  I'm under the impression that anything that causes a lot of diarrhea can interfere with growth.  We found out DD was intolerant by trial and error.  We removed gluten from her diet and she stopped having diarrhea and began gaining weight.   She never had solid poops after she started solids... mucousy, lots of undigested food, bad smell.... normal toddler poops should look more or less like adult ones - solid, well formed, no identifiable food... this is what happened within three days of removing gluten.  Any accidental glutening led to diarrhea.  So we're pretty convinced that we've found an answer for her problem.  I hope you find yours.

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#49 of 53 Old 12-26-2011, 10:16 AM

My two kids are vastly different in what they will eat, despite us having treated them the same. Both are fruit devotees and will not turn down fruit. Ever.

DD is 3 and has always been a great eater and will eat most things (too numerous to list all), but like a PP, she also loves frozen peas, corn and blueberries, still frozen.

DS is 20 mths and is pickier. He doesn't like most veg. Even if he gets a small piece in his mouth accidentally he will spit it out! I think he will eat sweet potato fries. He also gobbled down some veggie tempura at a Japanese restaurant. He is a carb boy. HE's not keen on meat either. He also loves eggs in any form.

Both kids will eat, without fail:

Annies Mac n Cheese (I can't believe I am admitting this!) - the box stuff

Risotto in any form.

Crepes

Homemade waffles

raisins/other dried fruit

baked goods (of course!)

Any fruit, esp berries

cheese in any form, including brie, blue cheese etc

Kielbassa, though DS does not like bacon (I am wondering if he is really our son)

yogurt and kefir - just plain, though they get flavoured as a treat and love that of course.

Hmmm, now that I write that, perhaps DS isn't that picky. It's just veg he doesn't dig!

If you are worried about weight gain, I highly, highy recommend reading "My Child Won't Eat" By Carlos Gonzalez. It's a LLL publication and now out of print, so you might have the best much getting it through the LLL.

You can also try boosting the calories in the foods she will eat, like making the mac n cheese with extra butter and using cream, or extra cheese, butter, avocado in things. Remember that veg, although v healthy are low in cals and fill up the tummy. Also avoid anything puffed like cereal because this bulk up the stomach with air and are not very calorific.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#50 of 53 Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM

We're having some similar (ish) issues with S who is dropping down the charts pretty quick. She can't have dairy and DH really wants her to be veg (which may not stay the case if she can't gain some weight) so our choices are kind of limited, but my new thing is coconut everything. In the morning I will give her berries dredged in coconut milk or cereal/oatmeal made with same. And I've been adding straight up cococnut oil to things, it's nice and high in saturated fats. That might work when frying a quesadilla, or you can mix a bit into her black beans. Sometimes I mix it straight into some soup for lunch.

I think it's helping. Or at least it was until she got sick and refused to eat anything but rasberries and bread for a week!

L, student nurse and married to A, my union man. Happy parents to little S!   joy.gif

#51 of 53 Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD doesn't eat that great and not high fat really but we just made lasagna and she likes it alot

Also, we don;t dip much at all except THIS sauce on raw cauliflower-mayonaise mixed with ketchup

#52 of 53 Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Dips - does she do dips? If so, then you could do dips like hummus which are healthy and caloric (olive oil!) or guacamole. Perhaps she could help you mash the avocado?

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#53 of 53 Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Hey BB! It's been a long time since we checked in, I'm glad it seems like your daughter is getting the OT you were looking for 6 months ago. We've been seeing a speech therapist and Daniel just TODAY signed "more." So we're making progress.

ANYWAY, back to your problem! Daniel has had stretches of weight gain problems and general pickiness and we've relied on a handful of foods (not always the same handful, but not always a selection) to get us through. It's really hard when you're trying to get them to gain weight because you're trying to make every bite "count" and be highly caloric. I had a revelation when I realized that was the wrong way to think about it. Instead of focusing so much on how many calories she's eating, just try to get her to find some things she LIKES eating even if they aren't highly caloric. The more flavors she starts to explore, the more likely she'll be to pick up more foods. Eventually you'll hit something caloric. Besides, if she's getting a good amount of toddler formula then she's probably getting her basic needs met. Here are some foods we've had good success with lately:

1. Kale chips/tortilla chips/pita chips/pretzel thins

2. Miso soup with tiny tofu bits in there. We even bought him one of those Asian style flat spoons and his own little miso bowl so he can feed himself. Sometimes I'll even throw a little bit of rice in there. He refuses the seaweed in the broth.

3. Seaweed snacks, particularly the Trader Joes variety or the Korean sea weed snacks at Whole Foods

4. Avocado rolls

5. PUREE PACKETS! I swear D gets all his fiber and fruit/veg quotient for the day from those packets.

6. Homemade smoothies with flax oil mixed in. You can add peanut butter or tofu for added nutrition

7. American cheese slices (guilty pleasure)

8. Yakisoba/noodles stir fried with teriyaki sauce

Good luck!

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page