Speech in 3 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 3 year old dd has a slow go of it in the speech/language dept. She didn't really start speaking in sentences until close to 2.5 and now at newly 3, her speech is progressing, but it seems she is having trouble getting her thoughts out. For instance, a typical sentence where she is struggling to get her point across can go something like this: ''Daddy, we went to the mall and saw Santa because I saw Santa and Josh played with me and the kids in the boat because the kids in the boat.'' I always understand her since I am with her all day, but anyone else would have little to no clue what she is trying to get at. I'd say that as her sentences have gotten longer in length and her vocabulary has increased that her sentences are becoming harder to understand. She just ran in her saying ''Daddy ate all the rollup and me.'' redface.gif Again, I know she meant ''Daddy and I ate all the roll-up.'' Is this age appropriate?

#2 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

No parents of 3 year olds?

#3 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

I don't know if it is normal or not. Mine did not ever do that.  You could always get her evaluated for speech and see what they say.  Sometimes though I know my son's brain ran a lot faster than his mouth so he would have trouble getting it all out.  Lots of modeling and telling them to slow down can help. 

Cassie, mom to Alex(7), Aidan(5), Andrew(4)

#4 of 4 Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM

My son doesn't do that.  He says great, long sentences that make sense.  When he gets stuck he says, um then thinks then gets the word out.  If you're concerned you can always get her evaluated - completely up to you.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page