Potty Training advice needed... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son will be 3 in April and has always been ahead of the game with development in general, has great language skills and most people assume he is older than he is.  For the past 6 months he has been going (all on his own) pee in his potty chair but only when he is naked.  Over the summer it was great, he was naked all the time, he'd go in his potty and not even tell us.  The only exception is pooping, he used to poop in the potty when we helped him but he does struggle with constipation on and off and I honeslty think he just doesn't have the patience to sit and wait until he is done (this will be the next hurdle). 

So after a while of doing really well going pee (and sometimes poo) all on his own I decided to get him some boxer briefs and teach him how to pull them down and I figured once he mastered that we would be on our way to being fully clothed and potty trained.  This has not been the case.  He treats the boxers like a diaper, doesn't seem to try to make it to the potty, doesn't seem to care about wetting himself, he just tells me he needs a change. He does seem to understand when I explain that he needs to keep going in the potty and the big boy underwear are not diapers.  Then it started to become more of a power struggle and I didn't want to push it and make it a huge deal so I put him back in dipes and just dropped it.  We also just got done moving and life has been crazy so potty training got pushed to the back burner.  But now I am wanting to give it a go, he still has no problem running to the potty and peeing when he is naked but when I put him in boxer briefs he doesn't even try!!  I had him practice pulling his underwear up and down and he did fine with it.....I just don't get why he does so well naked and if he doesn't have any problems getting the underwear up/down why he doesn't try to go when he's wearing them??

Has anyone else had this situation or something like it?  Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Sorry for such a long ramble : )

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page