advanced? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-25-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have a daughter who will be 17 month in january and she says about 30-40 words she understands things like "throw that in the trash" " turn on your tv" "close/open the door" an many more things and preforms all those tasks like second nature. she will go and sit on her rug grab a book and just flip though by herself saying kitty or puppy or whatever she sees that she knows and she definitely distinguishes between yes and no when you ask her if she wants something. she even jokes and will say no if you ask if she loves you and then laugh. she literally remembers everything even if only introduce to it once and then removed from it for weeks. i know everyone loves their kid and thinks they're brilliant and from what i've seen personally its never really the case, i have no sort of expertise on the matter other then what i've read but i also fear i'm just being bias because she's mine. basically what i'm asking is if shes is infact a little advanced what could i do to help her that's not pushing too hard or making it any less appealing to her to learn?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER3180 View Post

i have a daughter who will be 17 month in january and she says about 30-40 words she understands things like "throw that in the trash" " turn on your tv" "close/open the door" an many more things and preforms all those tasks like second nature. she will go and sit on her rug grab a book and just flip though by herself saying kitty or puppy or whatever she sees that she knows and she definitely distinguishes between yes and no when you ask her if she wants something. she even jokes and will say no if you ask if she loves you and then laugh. she literally remembers everything even if only introduce to it once and then removed from it for weeks. i know everyone loves their kid and thinks they're brilliant and from what i've seen personally its never really the case, i have no sort of expertise on the matter other then what i've read but i also fear i'm just being bias because she's mine. basically what i'm asking is if shes is infact a little advanced what could i do to help her that's not pushing too hard or making it any less appealing to her to learn?

Hehe - I know the feeling, sometimes I am amazed at what DS (16 months) does or picks up so quickly. Just for a comparison for you, my DS does all that you listed EXCEPT the speaking. The only words he says are "mama" and "dada". One of my friend's DS is a year older than mine and he also doesn't speak alot yet either.

He knows simple commands, like "throw this in the rubbish", "wipe your face", "please get the remote for me". He plays a silly game with grandma, he pretends he is sleeping when she goes to get him from a nap. He giggles when he is playing with her. He has done things that he was only shown once and it would be from a week ago and he remembers.

I think the best way to keep them learning is to constantly introduce new things to them and keep an on-going dialogue with everything you do and see. Like explaining what you are doing and verbally walking through everything.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

She sounds on target to me except for the part about remembering everything/you only having to introduce things once and maybe the joking. That sounds advanced. 

Our son had 60 words at 16 months (he had like 20 at a year!), but now, at 18 months, isn't yet combining words and is in the "boderline" category for communication because of it (according to our ped).  I know he's fine, and the ped isn't worried, but advanced/behind is apparently a thin line that they can dance back and forth across.  Can't wait for this developmental milestone stuff to be over!

#4 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 08:14 PM

That sounds slightly above average, but not terribly so.  Language acquisition is not linear and every child has their own curve.  Also, everyone has their strength and weaknesses.  And, there isn't anything I would do different for an "advanced" child that I would not do for an "average" child.  Meet them where they are and have fun. 

My not yet 3.5-year-old is advanced in some areas-- reading at at least a kindergarten level, and a bit below average in others--social, fine motor, visual/spatial. Personally, I did not waste time on any educational toys or videos.  DD is TV free.  We try to fill her space with open ended toys and give her the time to play by herself and her imagination for hours.  We read a lot, teach her what she wants to learn, and have great conversations about life, science, history, math, language arts, etc.  And, we take many educational outings together.  

#5 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 08:15 PM

My ds is also 17 months old and sounds almost exactly like your child. He has about 35ish words and just yesterday did his first 2 word combination: ''all done mama'' of course it sounded like ''all duh mama.'' He also has very, very good receptive language skills and can follow instructions very well and has been able to shake his head yes and no since before 12 months with an accurate answer. People always comment on how ''advanced'' he is, but I think he just has good communication skills since he has an older sister he sees and hears all day.

#6 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM

This sounds similar to my DS, who is also 17 mos.  He hasn't started combining words yet either, although he did come up with his own "concept" the other day, which I thought was neat.  He noticed stars for the first time, and called them "up-up"s and kept asking to see the up-ups out the window.

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#7 of 7 Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM

This was totally my DD. Complete sentences at 18 months, (sentences that even strangers could understand.) - I think she had close to 40 to 60 words at that point. It was freaky.

I will tell you now that she is 8 - she is bright, but she is not gifted. Her reading is on par with her classmates, her writing content is more advanced, her handwriting is horrific. Her math skills are slightly above average. She is incredibly socially advanced, very quick to pick up on other's social cues, can respond to different types of emotional needs very easily. Very high EQ.

Every kid is different. Enjoy your talkative little one! It's fantastic to have an early talker!!! A wonderful window into their little mind! She's a darling, wonderful creature! Read to her often. Find the things she is obsessed with and indulge her in them. You're not bragging about your little wonderful girl - you're reveling in her inherent amazingness! 

I will also tell you that my second child, a son, is a pretty late talker. (And he's super amazing too!) At 18 months, I'd say he has about 15 words, many of which are very hard to understand (BAH for bath, GAH for cat/dog, etc.) no sentences, (not Mama!!!!) He can say Sha for shark but not shoes. Go figure. Sometimes I think he's destined for the short bus orngtongue.gif - but I bet he'll be as bright as his sister once he reaches grade school.

Me (40) DH (49) daring DD (9) and darling DS - almost THREE! (born June 25, 2010 in an amazing, unplanned homebirth.jpg

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page