what would you think of a 2 yo boy in a dress? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: what would you think of a 2 yo boy in a dress?
cute as heck. he obviously doesn't know he's a boy yet. 21 72.41%
weird. why are his parents letting him wear that? let alone, letting him out of the house in it? 7 24.14%
don't know / can't imagine it 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

if it helps for the discussion, he had a big sister wearing a matching dress.

#2 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM

I think boys have a right to play with or wear anything girls can. It seems only fair. I didn't participate in your poll because the questions were a bit limiting. I have no problem with boys/men wearing dresses. It is a personal choice they are welcome to carry into adulthood if they so choose.

Here is a link to an amazing story: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2011/12/11/led-child-who-simply-knew/SsH1U9Pn9JKArTiumZdxaL/story.html

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#3 of 21 Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 PM

Um, I don't agree with any of the poll choices. I'd think roughly the same thing I'd think about a little girl in a dress ("how cute," etc), except I'd have the nagging sadness in the back of my mind knowing that other people would stigmatize him.

If it was a child I didn't know, I'd probably mistake him for a girl.

#4 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Other - cute kid. Good on the parents for going with his choice.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Other - cute kid. Good on the parents for going with his choice.

yeahthat.gif

DP and I  rainbow1284.gif together since 2001, brokenheart.gif 4/10,  pos.gif 7/10
DS - planned h20homebirth.gif born via ribboncesarean.gif 4/4/2011
)O( treehugger.gif nocirc.gif winner.jpg cd.gif greenthumb.gif earth.gif whale.gif
#6 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

Um, I don't agree with any of the poll choices. I'd think roughly the same thing I'd think about a little girl in a dress ("how cute," etc), except I'd have the nagging sadness in the back of my mind knowing that other people would stigmatize him.

If it was a child I didn't know, I'd probably mistake him for a girl.

this

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#7 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I didn't pick an answer.  I don't think any of them fit how I feel.  I really believe that the body is your temple and the soul is who you are.  I don't agree with self imposed gender lines and I feel it is completely unfair to dictate what is acceptable behavior where it concerns a child who is figuring out who he/she is.  The division clouds our judgement and has allowed too much pain and discomfort.  A boy dressing as a girl?  Is only a being who is biologically different than his counterpart.  He is wearing clothes.  If you want to call it dress go for it but now you're falling in line with social conditioning that has allowed this to even be an issue. 

DD1 tells me all the time she feels like a boy... is that wrong?  Absolutely not, because she acts in way that is different from her biological peer group she feels divided from them and cannot identify.  This causes her angst.  We have allowed this. 

justrose13 likes this.
#8 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM

I also didn't pick an answer, mostly bc my 2-year-old girl could not be less interested in what she wears, so I'd knee-jerk assume the parent chose the dress for the kid, which I would think was weird. 

A 2-yr-old boy choosing on his own to wear a dress? Wouldn't bat an eye.

Doctors aren't out to kill you or your children. Childbirth isn't inherently safe. Science is actually smarter than your intuition. Lighten up. Use sunscreen.

#9 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 11:05 AM

I picked cute as heck but I don't agree with the "doesn't know he's a boy yet" bit.  Ew.  My son likes to wear dresses and tutus and believe me, he knows he's a boy.

justrose13 and hildare like this.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#10 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Don't like the choices either. It is not a question of cuteness. It is not also whether or not he knows he is a boy. If the kiddo is happy in a dress, I am happy to see a happy kid. That's it.

justrose13 likes this.

Yarn-aholic Mom to 2 cutest little girls. Dec 06 blahblah.gifbikenew.gif and May 09 energy.giftoddler.gif  Looking for time tocrochetsmilie.gif and sewmachine.gif. Will always remember my missing babies too ribbonpb.gif

#11 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Also couldn't vote. I'm not sure I'd think anything about a 2 y.o. boy in a dress. If asked to think of explanations, I might think that he likes dresses, or he's in a dress because it's more comfortable (waaay more comfortable on a hot, humid day than trousers), or that it's his favourite colour, or that someone (big sister?) thought it would be fun to dress alike and pretend to be twins or a singing group or he badly messed up his clothes and it was laundry day and the dress was handy until his own things were clean, or his parents are old-fashioned Anglophiles (babies/toddlers were often kept in "skirts"/dresses, if I've read my  Victorian novels correctly)..........

#12 of 21 Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

OK, it was our kid. i was going to go with a poll that just said "normal" and "not normal", but instead i used some of the exact language we heard. it certainly generated a lot of interest from the people we saw while he was out dressed this way.

and he IS a cute kid, no matter what he's wearing (or not wearing, as it were)... 

#13 of 21 Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 AM

I would think, "two kids in matching dresses. I wonder if they're getting their pictures taken." and I would assume he was a girl. If he had a buzz cut I would assume headlice. 

My own son wore dresses on and off until he was about 4.  When questioned on his clothing choices now he usually says, "it was on top."

He knows he is a boy but has waist length hair and no matter what he is wearing people assume he is a girl. My daughter has short hair and is mistaken for a boy about half the time she is in pink and all the time in any other color. I never get comments when people think she is a boy in a dress. I often get comments about his hair, tho. 

Because my kids aren't easy to gauge at first glance I certainly don't think anything about the way other kids look. I know that some kids are clear in their desires. 

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#14 of 21 Old 01-07-2012, 08:36 PM

As others have said, I probably wouldn't know he was "he" if I didn't know him. But if I did, I think it was fine and nice that his parents didn't have the typical gender hangups about littles.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#15 of 21 Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicana View Post

if it helps for the discussion, he had a big sister wearing a matching dress.

I was going to say, I'd think "there is a kid with big sister(s)"

Signed,

Mom of ds after 3 girls who loves all girly things.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#16 of 21 Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 AM

I would think, lucky child that his parents understand normal growth in a boy includes wearing dresses and should not be freaked out about. Happy that he's able to have fun, regardless of what his sister's wearing!

justrose13 likes this.
#17 of 21 Old 01-08-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I say put lipstick on him and take a picture! Keep it forever, and put it in the senior slideshow when he's in high school. When he's older, if he's decided he'd rather be a girl, it'll be documentation of him wearing his first dress and how accepting and empathetic his parents were. If he's the average teenage boy and doesn't have gender identity issues, it'll just be a cute pic to tease him about when he brings his girlfriends over to meet you. 

Kaichik likes this.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
#18 of 21 Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

When I read this I immdiately thought of that pick of FDR when he was a little boy.

I googled it and found this blog post http://sotospeakjournal.org/2011/04/when-sisters-and-brothers-shared-clothes/SUBMIT

#19 of 21 Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMom View Post

When I read this I immdiately thought of that pick of FDR when he was a little boy.

I googled it and found this blog post http://sotospeakjournal.org/2011/04/when-sisters-and-brothers-shared-clothes/SUBMIT

Interesting article! Thanks for posting it. In my earlier post, I referred to Anglophile parents, but it's good to know that it was a trans-Atlantic tradition to dress boys and girls in skirts/dresses. I just can't imagine learning to crawl in those clothes.

#20 of 21 Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

Interesting article! Thanks for posting it. In my earlier post, I referred to Anglophile parents, but it's good to know that it was a trans-Atlantic tradition to dress boys and girls in skirts/dresses. I just can't imagine learning to crawl in those clothes.

reading.gif

In some of the Montessori books I've been reading when discussing appropriate clothing for supporting mobility I often see reference to an old superstition from the middle ages about keeping babies in dresses to prevent them from crawling.

SAHM to DD born 12/09 
#21 of 21 Old 01-12-2012, 08:28 AM

i would think about the same as a do when i see a girl wearing pants.

not much,

we should wear whatever suits our fancy as long as it is weather and situationally appropriate (like not delicate to dig in the mud, or slovenly for a fancy party).

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page