He doesn't "get" underwear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS is 2 and 5 mo. We haven't been super assertive with potty training yet because we've been traveling a lot and wanted to wait until we're more settled. Nonetheless, he has good urinary control and totally "gets" the potty and will go there on his own without being told 100% of the time, and has had zero accidents the past 2-3 months ... but only when he's naked (which is a lot of the time in the house).

When he has any form of clothing on, even a just a light pair of boxers or pants, he doesn't even think to go in the potty. I think he thinks that underwear are diapers. Maybe it's because he's been in a combo of cloth snap on diapers and disposable pull ups for the past year. He just doesn't seem to know that underwear is not for peeing in.

Any ideas? Do I just have to get rid of the diapers entirely to try to eliminate the confusion (in which case we couldn't really leave the house ...)? Should I remind him to potty every 30 min? I'm worried he might build up a resistance to the potty if I'm constantly telling him to go when he doesn't have to go. I'd prefer he be the one to decide, just as it is now when he's pantsless.

Thanks!

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List