12 month old taking in very little liquid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-09-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12 month old is getting over a nasty cold that had her down and out for over a week. We are on day 2 of the upward swing.

I'm still worried about her because she is refusing water. When she turned 1, I weaned her to nursing just 1x/day. As soon as she started to get sick I went back to nursing her several times a day and have decided that I am going to continue this for awhile, instead of weaning her. I'm wondering if she still needs water or if breastmilk will hydrate her enough. She literally will have nothing to do with the 5 different types of cups we have tried with her(3 different sippy's, 1 straw, one open top) and if I'm lucky enough to actually get some water into her mouth, she thinks it's a game and lets it all run back out. With a smile, of course. ;) Before she got sick, she like water and happily drank it. I'm wondering if this back and forth with breastfeeding has something to do with her water strike. Luckily, she still happily nurses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 01-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I would nurse her on cue (demand) until you are confident she is over the risk of infection. Unless she is doing so, I would not feel comfortable that she is hydrated. You should probably also increase your fluids to keep up. I am actually not sure if this is possible if your supply is expecting one session per day.

Otherwise you may want to resort to juice pops,better yet frozen bm, or something else to encourage her to hydrate. Perhaps a  mesh feeder with the pop in it, which ever is appropriate for her.

Tags
Toddlers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page