• January 2011* DDC Chat, Our Budding Toddlers • - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

• January 2011* DDC Chat,  Our Budding Toddlers •

*we are due then, but babies will be babies and some of ours came in very different months!

Hi ladies, figure we should just take the plunge, wow we have toddlers now!!!!

question to start us off, whats one great thing you will look back on and really remember your babies first year with. one sweet or funny day, one special milestone?  Of course there was the birth, but something since then?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 AM

I will never forget laying DD down for a nap in her crib  (funny, she sleeps in our bed, but naps in her crib....)... when she was 5.5 months old. I heard her moving about and went in to get her... and found her standing at the side of the crib. And when she saw me come in, and my look of shock, she burst out laughing. I couldn't decide which was more incredible - the standing or the laughing at my surprise. 

Also, after she started walking at 10 months, she started playing the same type of games with DH that my 3 y/o DS likes.... "You can't get away" (she walks away and DH carries her back, tickling her), "You can't look out the window" (she runs to the window and DH scoops her up and carries her back to the other side of the room and she runs right back to the window, laughing). DH has always been an amazing father, but watching him bond with DD has been just a little extra sweet for some reason. 

joy.gif

What about the twins? What's their moment?

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#3 of 18 Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM

Can't believe we have TODDLERS!

Hmmm, I can't think of one specific moment. This whole year has flown, and has been just so amazing... I love my little family so much, makes me all mushy inside...

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#4 of 18 Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 PM

I refuse to admit that I have another toddleryikes2.gif

My biggest memeory is the first time Kyle rolled over, he was trying to get to his big sister (who is not always very nice to him!)  Its really sweet to see how much he adores her and watches her every move. 

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#5 of 18 Old 01-21-2012, 11:49 AM

Not sure what my favorite moment of the first 12 months was, but this morning, as I went to give DD a kiss, she puckered her mouth too! kiss.gif

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi! Can I join? I wasn't part of the original DDC (although I might have lurked a few times while pregnant).  But my DS was born 1/29 so I'm right there with you all watching my little baby become a boy...sniffle...

I can't think of a specific favorite event this past year. But some favorite moments were when I realized he was copying what I was doing- like clapping, trying to brush his own teeh, and even those early times he'd open and close his mouth while we talked or chewed. It made me realize that holy cow! we're the ones he's looking to to figure out how to become a person. No pressure right? :)  I also love when his eyes light up when he sees me, even if I was just in the bathroom for a minute. 

#7 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

welcome, of course you can hang out with us!

so my girl is moments away from walking and it is so fun, all she ever wants to do is practice going back and forth between me and dad or the couch and me. it cracks me up hoe serious she is out all the learning!

and she is getting 3 teeth in at once, she only has the bottom two that she got right at 6 months, her brother who also got his bottom two at 6 months kept getting more for a while and passed only once he got the full front 8. but she has been sitting with just those 2 for the last 7 months! so now she is getting a handful at once but its going to look hilarious cause it is not the top two, it is one of them and one a few over and one on the bottom, so in a week or two I'm going to have a little jack-o-lantern!

oh and i think we are officially dropping a nap around here, it still depends a lot on morning wake times since they can barry a lot, but about half th days are one nap here, hmmmmm? still working on the timing of it and boy it needs to be longer than it is. they used to nap for much longer but as they started getting sick of two naps they also started napping for just 30 minutes again, I'm hoping that when they settle on one nap, it will be a few hours long, we all need it!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#8 of 18 Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM

DD just FINALLY sorted out her nap, she's been in the process of dropping the 2nd nap for like a month and was SO cranky. It's been 2 weeks though and now she naps 12-2 pm ... 2 whole HOURS! Unbelievable. And DS has decided nothing is as fun when DD is sleeping, so he's been napping too!!! joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

welcome, of course you can hang out with us!

so my girl is moments away from walking and it is so fun, all she ever wants to do is practice going back and forth between me and dad or the couch and me. it cracks me up hoe serious she is out all the learning!

and she is getting 3 teeth in at once, she only has the bottom two that she got right at 6 months, her brother who also got his bottom two at 6 months kept getting more for a while and passed only once he got the full front 8. but she has been sitting with just those 2 for the last 7 months! so now she is getting a handful at once but its going to look hilarious cause it is not the top two, it is one of them and one a few over and one on the bottom, so in a week or two I'm going to have a little jack-o-lantern!

oh and i think we are officially dropping a nap around here, it still depends a lot on morning wake times since they can barry a lot, but about half th days are one nap here, hmmmmm? still working on the timing of it and boy it needs to be longer than it is. they used to nap for much longer but as they started getting sick of two naps they also started napping for just 30 minutes again, I'm hoping that when they settle on one nap, it will be a few hours long, we all need it!

sleepytime.gifjog.gifSleepy, running, wife to superhero.gif DH 08/09 -  Mama to jog.gif DS 8/08 & love.gif DD 1/11

"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. " - Japanese Proverb

#9 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM

Hmm..thought I posted earlier, but it obviously didn't go through!

I keep thinking the little guy is going to start walking any day now, but we have been at this point for a couple of weeks now!  I think he really needs to feel comfortable with something before he goes all out on it.  He still isn't babbling much, but he does do "mama, mama, mama" whenever he is upset about something--pretty funny! 

It looks like we are fighting colds here--the older 2 have it and the little guy was running a temp tonight and extremely cranky.  *sigh*  My milk supply seems to be getting lower and lower.  I really hope I make it to the end of cold season at least.

Well, the older 2 are being difficult with bedtime so I need to get off.  Welcome Illiterati!  It's nice to have more people to chat with!

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#10 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM

Re. naps--we never got into a decent schedule unfortunately.  He has days where he takes one nap, but he still prefers to take 2.  I think his ideal schedule is up between 6 & 7, nap at about 9-11:30 (we get home at 8:45 from school drop-off and unfortunately we have to leave to pick up dd at 11:15, so I usually have to wake him up), nap again about 1-3 (but once again I have to wake him up at 2:30-ish to pick up older son) and bed at 7.

Some days he only does a mid-day nap and then he needs to get to bed about 6, but that is difficult with dinner time.  Poor guy.

Lisa, married and mama to 3 kids-ds (7yo), dd (6yo), & ds (2yo)

#11 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 AM

We'll join the napping trouble club. Abbott never has been a good napper. He needs two, or at least one good one, but usually fights me tooth and nail to take one short one a day. Like right now, he just woke after 35 minutes... Today's going to be great!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#12 of 18 Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM

It's been quite awhile since I've been on. I like seeing some of the familiar usernames and your cute babies. 

I think my favorite part of the past year has been Jack giving me kisses if I ask for one. It just melts my heart every time.

Anjuli, SAHM to B (5-20-2008) and Wife to B (6-28-2006)
EDD 1/14/2011
#13 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Did you see this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1284627/what-should-i-be-doing-during-the-day-with-my-1-year-old-to-teach-stimulate-him

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#14 of 18 Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Oh just want to be a proud mama and tell everyone that my girl has really gotten walking down. Still not her main form of movement, but she love it and will walk back and forth for fun with a huge smile on her face. What really made the difference was when she figured out how to stand upright and still. That changed her walking from a productive falling forward to a actually thing she could do on will. Amazing to watch her learn it. Now let's see how my boy does and he watches her and gets motivated.

#15 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Isn't it amazing watching them learn. It's another reason I homeschool my kids, I hate to miss that! From baby on up!

Hope all the Jan babies and mamas are doing great!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#16 of 18 Old 02-18-2012, 01:37 PM

That's wonderful Adorkable!

We took the older kids skiing a little over a week ago, and when I was reading through the website in order to prepare, it said as long as a child was walking, they could ski!  bigeyes.gif  I decided not to attempt it this year, but I think for sure we will do it next year. ..

I'm also thinking ahead to the summer, and trying to decide if Mommy and me swim lessons are worth it.  I don't think so, as it is pretty easy to do the activities they do in lessons on your own, in the tub, or in the pool.

Any idea what age is good to introduce a balance bike?

#17 of 18 Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I want to get back into the pool, we did it when they were 3.5 months and it was a blast. I hear you on it not being much you can't do yourself. I just figure we won't if we don't have a class to go to. And I do think a large pool is different to get used to than a bathtub. Boy I sure wish I had a big soaking tub soooooo bad.
Going to teach these two to snowboard for sure, I would be scared of them twisting a leg skiing.

So we all finally got our first real cold here and it's lame. The kids are just really stuffed up and runny nosed, not much else. I wonder if they have other things they're feeling I don't know about. I actually got it after them and I have a real scratchy throat that they don't *seem* to have. Thankfully I had just finally gotten a humidifier for the dry winter air and have been running that in their room and it seems to help it out and finally used my nosefrieda thingy. Anything else I can do for them besides wait this out?

Oh and my girl has discovered the joy of real kisses! It is sooooo sweet! She loves to give them and they made her giggle and giggle. This morning she gave one to her brother and I thought I was going to cry it was so cute. The affection they show for each other is so amazing.

#18 of 18 Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Is this our most recent thread? I know we weren't a chatty group, but... I think I am going to start a new thread, so that we can catch up. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1372445/january-2011-ddc-mamas-and-toddlers-2013-the-terrific-trying-twos

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page