Night time potty training - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello there!

My 3 year old is day time 99% potty trained. How do I start on night time potty training?

I had started months ago by waking him up 1 or 2 times every night for potty/peeing. That turned out too stressful for him and me. He would cry out loud and not respond at all and I would not get enough sleep because of the drama.

Any tips are highly appreciated.

TIA!

#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Night time dryness is developmental. Other then waking them up at night, there isn't anything else to do about it. Limiting liquids at night really doesn't help. When children mature, they produce a hormone that decreases urine production at night and therefore they are dry at night. When that happens could be age 1 or 7 years of age. Most docs don't even consider it a problem until age 6-7 or older. Heavier sleepers also have a harder time. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 5 Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Learning not to pee in your sleep is developmental. You can't really "train" for it the way you can for daytime potty learning. They'll figure it out on their own and your child is well within range to still, normally be peeing in their sleep.

Both my kids stopped early on before age 2 but again, I think it is developmental not something I trained them to do.

#4 of 5 Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 PM

well i wish my kids would develop it- they are 6 and 8 and wet most nights....

mdcblog5.gifsaynovax.giffambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpg

#5 of 5 Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM

Oh My Gosh...

DS #1 is 3.  At 24 months he was totally potty trained within 2 weeks of starting, even though he had no 'readyness' signs when we started, but still is very wet.

DS #2 Also potty trained very quickly, at 2.  Two months after being totally trained all day, he just stopped peeing at night.  Something just clicked in his brain/bladder that isn't clicking for DS#1 yet.

We did go to super thick trainer undies at night instead of diapers.  It is true that he doesn't have control over peeing in his sleep, but he DOES have control when he wakes up, and I discovered that he thought of his night time undies as 'the undies I can pee in!'  I was very cool about being wet in the morning since I knew he didn't have control, but after hearing this, I got a little... less cool. 

Now, he does ask to go in the morning, rather than peeing freely, and he is much drier, though still damp from the night.

Oh, I do wish it would click.... 

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page