Nighttime feeding? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12 month old still wakes up 2-4 hours before getting up in the morning wanting formula on most days.  Is this normal?  

Is it something he will just grow out of?  He sleeps 12 hours a night, so he's waking up usually at the 10 hour mark, then goes back to sleep.  I've tried keeping him up at that time and it was the fussiest baby I've ever known.  He does NOT want to get up yet, he just wants his formula and to go back to sleep.

#2 of 9 Old 02-10-2012, 11:06 PM

I was just talking to a co-worker last week about this. Both our one-year-olds wake up between sleep cycles to nurse back to sleep. I'd love to know if he will grow out of this. I really hate the type of sleep training advice I get. I'd just like to know if there's something I can do to help or if I can wait it out... Interested to see what others have to say!

Mama to Boo-Boo diaper.gifand babysitter to Bean energy.gif

mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 02-11-2012, 11:19 AM

My DS (17mon) gets up once a night 3-4 times a week for a night feeding (formula or milk). Our ped said he should be sleeping through the night, I am not too worried about it - I figure he will fully sleep through the nights when he is ready. I give him a bottle right before bed, hoping to fill his tummy - it doesn't always work.

DS ( 9/2010) and TTC #2 fingersx.gif

#4 of 9 Old 02-15-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

This is kinda where we are.  About half the nights he sleeps all the way through.    My Ped said "He's not a baby anymore, he should be sleeping through the night," but I've tried everything - he will drink water, but he's hungry not thirsty - he gets upset or wakes up after about half an hour or so... just wondering if I should let him just grow out of it.    Thanks for your reply.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsDolphin View Post

My DS (17mon) gets up once a night 3-4 times a week for a night feeding (formula or milk). Our ped said he should be sleeping through the night, I am not too worried about it - I figure he will fully sleep through the nights when he is ready. I give him a bottle right before bed, hoping to fill his tummy - it doesn't always work.

#5 of 9 Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM

My 21, ack 22, month old (!) would wake up to eat at the 10 hour mark up until he was around 18/19 months.  He'd nurse and then would fall back asleep for an hour...(he's a crib sleeper and I'd get up, nurse him, and put him back down).  It made me slightly nutty, but he did outgrow it and sleeping 10 hours in a row did seem like a long time to not eat...

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#6 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM

Just thought I would post this link.  This is an anthropologist looking at normal sleep patterns in both the scientific literature and across cultures.  The short version is that it is really rare for a child to actually sleep through the night.  It is normal for kids to continue waking and wanting to feed for 2-4 years. 

http://www.parentingscience.com/baby-sleep-patterns.html

#7 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I agree with fixgig, the previous poster.

My 27 month old breastfeeds several times per night....it's normal, so no worries about a 10 month old waking for a bottle of formula. I don't understand why peds inquire about this subject. They have no education in medical school or in residency on infant feeding, at least not on breastfeeding (the AAP recognizes this). Per formula feeding, they may not have much on that subject either.

FWIW, the  medical defintion of sleeping through the night is five hours.

evabea likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiago View Post

I agree with fixgig, the previous poster.

My 27 month old breastfeeds several times per night....it's normal, so no worries about a 10 month old waking for a bottle of formula. I don't understand why peds inquire about this subject. They have no education in medical school or in residency on infant feeding, at least not on breastfeeding (the AAP recognizes this). Per formula feeding, they may not have much on that subject either.

FWIW, the  medical defintion of sleeping through the night is five hours.

yeahthat.gif   I also have a 27 mo that nurses frequently throughout the night. And I think it is totally normal for him, even if it does drive me batty some nights.

I think I have gotten a 10 hr stretch of sleep TWICE since DS was born. If I was getting that every night, I would be soooooooooooo happy. I usually get about a 3-4 hour stretch at the most. dizzy.gif

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#9 of 9 Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I think DD was still getting 90% or more of her nutrition from formula at 12 months, so I gave her bottles at night with no question.  She still gets one, at 23 months.  She's a frequent night-waker, but she only asks for the bottle once, so I figure she must really want it.  So, to answer your question, I think it's perfectly normal, and it sounds like you've got a pretty good sleeper on your hands, so I'm guessing he'll grow out of it well before he's 2.  Don't sweat it!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page