surgery -- what to expect? what to ask for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DS -- just about to turn 2 -- is having surgery next week, and I have some questions that I hope you attached mamas can answer

First, no food or drink 8 hours before the surgery. He's still nursing, although I'm not sure how much milk he actually gets. Can I still nurse him in the morning? (we have to be at the hospital at 5:30, surgery is scheduled for 7:30). I don't want to ask them that, because I don't really want to deal with the strange looks that go along with nursing a 2 year old.

Second, I imagine he will hate, hate, hate being taken away from me by some strange nurses. Can I go back with him until he gets put under? Will I be there with him by the time he wakes up?

Anything else I should think of? It's not a pediatric-specialty hospital, but they do see lots of kids (and their pediatric ER that we went to yesterday was great).

It's surgery to repair a broken finger. In the meantime, he's in a temporary cast that he hates that goes all the way up to his elbow. He keeps asking me to take it off, and it kills me to have to tell him I can't. He's going to hate the permanent cast that he gets after surgery. Any experience in how long it takes kids to get used to casts?

Sarah, mama to Miriam 9/26/2006 and Isaac 2/12/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My babe was much younger when he had to be put under GA for an MRI. It's a different situation, but we could nurse up until 5 hours before and I was not allowed in the MRI room. They explained that having extra people in the room while he was being put under might be a distraction for the doctors. I'm not going to lie, it was really difficult because he was crying from hunger and I had to hand him over to a nurse. I was told in advance that I could stay with him, so that made it harder when I couldn't. 

Sorry, mama... I hope he gets through it as quickly and painlessly as possible!!

Mama to Boo-Boo diaper.gifand babysitter to Bean energy.gif

mdcblog5.gif

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page