Transitioning to their own bed?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son just turned two- he spent a while sleeping in bed with me and then a while sleeping in his crib. (Confession: we all slept better with him in the crib) While he's not quite ready for a bed of his own, I need some recommendations. First off, how old was your child when they began sleeping in their own bed? Did they stay there? I have a feeling he'll wander. Secondly, what kind of bed did you have for them? My dh is so fixated on a toddler bed (specifically a "racecar" bed) and to me, it seems wasteful. Wouldn't it be better to buy a twin size bed that he'll stay in for a number of years? I'm curious to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#2 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Our 2.5 yr old DD is in a crib that converts to toddler bed. So she is in a toddler bed.

We are going to go and soon get her a twin bed though. A toddler bed cannot be laid in by either me or DW. And it would be nice to sometimes lay with DD to help her get back to sleep.

She stays in her bed and doesn't wander. But we also stay with her until she is asleep. And when she wakes she stays in bed and calls to us until we come and get her.

She is still in our room. But we do wake before her some days and she is alone in the room for nap, and for the first few hours of the night.

I think it really matters on the personality of the kid for whether or not they will stay in bed. Our kids personality is such thhat she will stay there and not wander on her own.

Unless your crib turns into a toddler bed, or unless you don't live on a budget and mind spending money for short term...I would forgo the race car toddler bed. They are small.

You could always spend the money on cool race car comforter and sheet sets and other accessories to do his room up in a cool race car theme.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 14 Old 02-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

We just set up a bed in our 20mo's room. She has co-slept with us since birth.

It's a standard size single and we've put bed rails on it. She's only slept in it for one nap and part or one night so far so not an exhaustive test but she didn't get up by herself either time. She called us when she woke up which is what she usually does when she sleeps in our bed which is a mattress on the floor. 

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM

I can't say i have been here yet myself as my 24 month old is still in her crib but form everything i have read and been told by others it is best to keep them in the crib as long as you can within reason. So unless he is looking uncomfortable or about to climb out of it (hazard) then i'd keep him in a crib for now. My biggest worry with my daughter is that the change will start causing night wakings (when we currently have none) and also that i will have one heck of a time trying to get her to take a nap as soon as she realizes she doesn't need to stay in her bed. Personally, if it isn't broke don't fix it! I don't want to invite problems just because i am excited about her getting a big girl bed. I plan to leave her in her crib until she is either 3 or climbs out of it, whichever comes first. If she makes it to three then i will get her a new toddler bedding set for her birthday and convert her crib to a toddler bed then. And when you do get to that point since your crib doesn't convert personally i agree that you should just go right to a twin. I think they usually outgrow a toddler bed by 4 of not sooner? so it seems like a waste of money. My daughter's crib actually can change into a headboard and foot board for a full sized bed so i think we will keep her in her crib as long as we can, and then the toddler bed as long as we can and then just put her right into a full which i guess she will keep until she moves out.

#5 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was just reading Jay Gordon's book "Good Nights" about cosleeping and he makes a good point that a twin bed has the added advantage of being able to be pushed right up alongside your bed for the transition (in addition to the advantage that they'll end up in a twin before too long anyway so might as well start right out in one). We have a crib / toddler bed and I hadn't thought of that, but I think we may just skip it (what a waste as we never even used the crib either, but at least it was bought used and cheap) and get a twin. I would like to transition by having the bed right next to ours at first (with a guard rail in the open side). I am hoping he doesn't even notice all that much of a difference at first (since we'll still lay down and nurse him to sleep and be sleeping right next to him). BTW DS is almost 21 months and we would like to start the transition in the next few weeks / months we have just been too busy to get it arranged.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#6 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. View Post

I was just reading Jay Gordon's book "Good Nights" about cosleeping and he makes a good point that a twin bed has the added advantage of being able to be pushed right up alongside your bed for the transition (in addition to the advantage that they'll end up in a twin before too long anyway so might as well start right out in one). We have a crib / toddler bed and I hadn't thought of that, but I think we may just skip it (what a waste as we never even used the crib either, but at least it was bought used and cheap) and get a twin. I would like to transition by having the bed right next to ours at first (with a guard rail in the open side). I am hoping he doesn't even notice all that much of a difference at first (since we'll still lay down and nurse him to sleep and be sleeping right next to him). BTW DS is almost 21 months and we would like to start the transition in the next few weeks / months we have just been too busy to get it arranged.

Our DD co-slept. And then as she (and we) needed more room, we set up her crib as a toddler bed and put that up against our bed. Now we have transitioned by moving that bed away from ours but still in our room. We set it up in the corner of the room, got her a new bed spread and hung a poster she liked on the wall. It is her space and she is so proud of it. 

She sometimes still climbs in bed with us...but doesn't leave her bed without first calling out for us and us telling her to come over to our bed. 

So, your crib/toddler bed can work as the transition bed and not have to be a waste.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 14 Old 02-15-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies- We just found out we have another baby on the way and since my ds isn't ready for a bed, we're going to let him keep his crib until after the baby is born. I think we'll end up going with a twin bed and buying the side rails.  I do love the idea of using a car theme for his toddler bed. He'd love that! 

SAHM married with 2 boys (Feb 2010 & Oct 2012) 

signcirc1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#8 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 09:47 AM

My kids are 19 months apart, now 4 and 2 and sleep in bunk beds.  My youngest got moved from his co-sleeper to his crib and then to a twin bed a little after he turned one, maybe a couple months.  He did really well with just the side bar for a good 3 months and then realized he could get out on his own.  It took around 3 weeks of us sitting in his doorway to make sure he wouldn't sneak out before he fell asleep.  After that he has always done well, soem times he gets up early and climbs in with us.  My daughter was so fascinated by the bunk beds that she went to the lower bunk and he went to the upper bunk when she was around one.  They love it, and actually htey sleep so heavy now that if one gets outs of bed a lot of times the other is still sleeping.  Another thing, you don't want to shut the door on the bedroom in case seomthing happens so we would put up the baby gates in the doorway adn that way we could at least hear him trying to bust out.

#9 of 14 Old 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM

Greatest thing in the world is getting them to sleep in their own room and bed.  Our daughter is 27mo and it was quite easy to move her. We just put her to sleep in her bed and she stays there.  She will occasionally wake up but we can put her back to sleep and then just go back to our bed.  We have her in a FULL SIZE bed and just put our king size pillows around her. She hardly moves.  Life has just been better all around.

#10 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post

Our DD co-slept. And then as she (and we) needed more room, we set up her crib as a toddler bed and put that up against our bed. Now we have transitioned by moving that bed away from ours but still in our room. We set it up in the corner of the room, got her a new bed spread and hung a poster she liked on the wall. It is her space and she is so proud of it. 

She sometimes still climbs in bed with us...but doesn't leave her bed without first calling out for us and us telling her to come over to our bed. 

So, your crib/toddler bed can work as the transition bed and not have to be a waste.

We just set it up today and lo and behold the mattresses are almost the exact same height!

We are not doing anything just yet, simply going to let him get used to the new setup and see if his own curiosity makes him want to try it out. He's also been teething and a little sick lately so it's not an ideal time to try and change anything. But if nothing changes on its own in a few weeks or so we'll try to start putting him to sleep in his bed and see how that goes. For us it's all about not forcing it and being patient. I feel like it should "work", even if it takes a few months until he's comfortable in his own bed. Then after a few more months we can see about moving the bed across the room. Slowly slowly is my motto with this, although I know if you have a new baby on the way you might not have that time. Good luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
#11 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM

We put our DD in a toddler bed just before her little brother was born.  We were anxious about how she might handle the transition out of her crib, and we didn't want to do it AFTER the new baby arrived in case she was already too overwhelmed with transition.  But it turned out surprisingly well.  She loved her "big girl bed" and stayed it in much better than the crib, which she didn't like and always woke up calling for us to come and get her.  It's been about a year now, and she adores her bed -- she'll climb in at night and snuggle into her blankets and exclaim, "This is my favorite spot in the whole world!"  

Toddler beds are a royal PITA if you co-sleep, because your toddler is probably going to need an adult to lay with her/him to get to sleep, and they are TINY.  I've gotten used to curling up into it with her, but it was REALLY difficult when I was 8 months pregnant and huge!  Now, it's not so bad -- in fact, I often fall asleep next to her while trying to get her to sleep (or back to sleep in the middle of the night).  If I had to do it over, I would have stuck to my guns and gotten a twin for her, but at the time, it didn't seem worth the battle with my mother, who was all googly-eyed over the cute little white toddler beds and just couldn't resist it.  *Sigh*  

When the baby's big enough for the toddler bed, we'll probably just transition DD to a full-size futon on a very low wooden frame in the same room. 

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
#12 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD switched from a crib to a toddler bed at 24 months, when I went in and caught her with her leg up over the bar.  DS is 29 months and still in his crib.  I'm reluctant to give him a bed because I'm afraid he'll never sleep again, or anyhow, never nap again, and then I will lose my sanity. Plus I'm not really convinced it's possible to babyproof his room enough to actually let him loose in there unsupervised.  He's soooo creative in the field of destruction!  He's also very physical and a climber so I'm not entirely sure why he hasn't gotten out of the crib yet.  He's gotten himself INTO it before, but not out.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#13 of 14 Old 03-10-2012, 03:13 PM

When we stopped co-sleeping, we had this issue too.  We just do the twin mattress on the floor in an adjacent room.  That works pretty well, IMO.  Of course my son can get in and out of bed, but aside from dragging his pillow and blanket around the room a bit, there's not much for him to do in there.  The nice thing is he doesn't have to be completely asleep to "go to bed".  He doesn't mind being by himself for a little while in the room at night.  He usually sits up in bed for a little while and talks to his stuffed animals, then eventually passes out.  There's no worries if he falls out of bed. 

#14 of 14 Old 03-14-2012, 08:34 PM

we got out son sleeping in his captains twin size bed with 1 bed rail at 17/18 months with his sippy cup.

it took about 4-5 days (naps included). he couldnt escape his room as we not only closed his door, but we also put a pressure lock baby gate in front of it too. this house isnt built nicely for kids, so his room is on the main floor and i have a FEAR of him in the middle of the night getting out of his room and falling down the basement stairs. hence the baby gate.

sure he would get out and play with his toys... but once it was bedtime we didnt bother him. only once did we find him curled up in his blankie on the floor, but either then that if he wakes and gets out to play... he always puts himself back in his bed. 

worked out great for us... he trained himself to go to bed in his big boy room. 

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page