If you skipped the toddler-sized potty... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-20-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What would you recommend instead? My daughter loves the adult-sized potty and has been trying (not actually going on there yet except for once when she starting pooping in the bath and I whisked her out to go over the toilet) a lot lately and at first I was really to go buy a toddler-size potty, but now I am thinking if she loves the big potty, why mess with it? So, I was hoping to get recommendations on good step stools for bracing and getting up to the toilet and something to put on at least one of the toilets in the house so she won't fall in. Anyone else done it this way? Any other recommendations? Should I start having her wear training pants during the day or what do you think? She is in daycare during the week full-time if that makes any difference in the bigger toddler room (2-3) with access to toilets all day and at least half the kids are trained and most of the rest are starting to try. Thanks ladies, not doing any serious potty training at least right now as I am in no hurry and tend to be pretty laid back anyway, but since she has been so interested and wanting to try, I figure I better get in gear on my end.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#2 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM

We have a little seat that goes over top of the toilet seat to make the hole smaller so that she wont fall in. It has sesame street characters on it.

We also have a step stool for her to climb up on the potty with...but mostly we just lift her up and sit her on it.

She tells us when she has to go and runs to the bathroom and we lift her on and then lift wipe her and lift her off when she is done.

If she is showing interest, I say give it a go.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#3 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM

We have the Baby Bjorn seat and she seems really comfortable up on it. 

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#4 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osker View Post

We have the Baby Bjorn seat and she seems really comfortable up on it. 

This is what I've used with all of my children.  DD3 brings it to me sometimes when she wants to sit on the toilet.  The other thing I've done is to put the child on the toilet backwards.  DS2 wasn't interested in the potty seat, so backwards was the only way he felt comfortable sitting on the toilet.

#5 of 10 Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM

I got one of the "seats" that fits on an adult potty while DD was learning. The biggest deal for her was the handles on the sides. She was way more apt to fall of the side of the potty than into it without her own seat. After about a year or so, she just stopped using it on her own. I have kept a step stool in the bathroom since she started expressing interest in washing her own hands, and she uses it to get onto the potty as well.

I got both the seat and the step-stool from Target. The stool I got is two steps, and has a storage compartment inside the top step that I keep some bath toys in.

SAHMhippie.gif married to DH treehugger.gif since 09/11. Mama to DD (01/08)dust.gifand DS (06/12) babyboy.gif

#6 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a new toilet seat that has a child adapter ring built in.
Dd is loving the seat. We have an oval toilet and the Cheap rings shifted too much and dd was always dropping the ring in the toilet.
Dd had been using the bjorn potty before, but now refuses it and prefers the regular toilet with the built in child seat

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#7 of 10 Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I love the bjorn reducer. It is very stable. But really, I think it is best to supply another option so that ever child is independent. It 1) aids the fun and 2) it really helps be empowered to do it all themselves. One of my kids had poor balance and he really preferred the little potty for a long time because he *didn't need help*

#8 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

My oldest refused to use anything other than the adult toilet, I just was extra careful she didn't fall in. My middle used a toilet reducer for the longest time. I got it when I was living in Japan, it was nice since it was one that converted from a toddler toilet (never used that part) to a stepping stool/reducer to just a stepping stool depending on the development of the child. I still have it and plan on using it when my youngest shows signs of wanting to potty train.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#9 of 10 Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

I just bought a new toilet seat that has a child adapter ring built in.
Dd is loving the seat. We have an oval toilet and the Cheap rings shifted too much and dd was always dropping the ring in the toilet.
Dd had been using the bjorn potty before, but now refuses it and prefers the regular toilet with the built in child seat

We are going to  have toddlers in and out of our house for a long time and I hate having that little adapter ring floating around the bathroom floor, so we bought this, too. ($29.99 @ Walmart. First thing I've bought their in years.) DS loves it.  I kind of think I need to put a little note on the toilet for visiting adults, though.  More than one has commented on the awkwardly small toilet seat.

#10 of 10 Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 AM

The toddler potty was such a waste of money for us. We bought the seat that fits on to the regular toilet instead and my son started going that way. I guess because they use regular toilets at daycare, he was accustomed to that. I wanted to keep things as consistent at possible. 

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page