EC'ed 18 month old regressing... and should we get cloth trainers (X posted in diapering) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My nearly 18 month old son was EC'ed a lot until 10 months, then we sort of took an un planned break and got back into it and he did pretty well. Happily sitting on the potty and as long as we offered enough rarely going in his cloth diapers. Lately though he screams if we take him to the potty (even with our drawer of books in the bath room or when being offered a toy) and rarely tells us he needs to go, and seems to prefer to poop/pee on the floor. This has been going on about 2 weeks now and and seems to only be getting worse. He will gladly use the potty if my almost 3 y/o nephew is here and goes on the toilet at the same time M goes on the little potty. But M wont do that with me or my husband. He just tries to leave the bathroom.... We've never gotten to the point that I feel ok taking him out with out diapers. But have done many many outings using public bathrooms and him never wetting his diaper! 

But the diapers (most prefolds with snapping covers, some snapping AIO's) are such a pain to get on and off that I'm thinking cloth trainers might be easier, especially when out and about, since he can just stand there and we can pull them down and off as opposed to putting him on the changing table or the ground (YUCK!) to get the diapers on and off. Sometimes it takes so long hes peeing as the diaper is coming off... So I have a few questions. 

Has anyone experienced potty regression like this before? And straight out potty refusal? Is he just realizing his independence? 

Have you used cloth trainers? What are the advantages and dis advantages? 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#2 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM

E was sometimes refusing to try the potty a few weeks ago. She didn't want to sit, absolutely refused to poop on the potty, and didn't want to stop playing in order to go.  We took a flying leap and put away the diapers. She's been dry, even at naptime and nights, ever since. We had been attempting to use the potty a few times randomly throughout the day for a few months, but I think the back and forth was annoying her, and once she realized she didn't have to lay down for diaper changes ever again, she was thrilled! Going out in plain undies was really nerve-wracking at first, but she's done a great job and we just carry extra clothes with us instead of diapers.   She very much prefers to have her little potty near her while she plays and she'll walk over and use it. (We're still on the pants-free at home stage.) If we ask if she has to go, most of the time she'll say no. If we insist (we're about to leave etc), she'll generally humor us and go a little bit. But under her own steam she chooses when to go and can hold it up to four hours (car ride, lunch out, multiple times we insisted she try). She was 18mos, 1 week when we gave up diapers. 

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
#3 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to ditch diapers quite yet, just talked to DH and he isn't either. But maybe in a month! I know I do need to give him more opputunities to use the potty when we are out, and time them better! 

#4 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM

We didn't EC, but we started potty learning at about 6 months, and we encountered a number of "regressions"...more like periods of increased resistance, since it seemed like the problems were more about him having a new understanding of what was going on and pushing against any pressure we might have inadvertently been putting on him.  Each time, if we backed off and waited for him to get interested again, he eventually did become internally motivated again.  We were in undies for awhile, but went back to pull-up diapers.  A few months later we're still using them outside of the house (and regular diapers at night), but he's asking to go almost every time he needs to go, and finding pride in it again.

I'd get the trainers.  It does make everything so much less stressful.  Though I have found that it's not as easy as just pulling them down while he's standing, since his pants and the pull-up can't get over his shoes (if I didn't feel like the shoes would make them yucky anyway) and at this size it's really hard for them to use a big potty with their pants around their ankles.  At least for my little guy, anyway.  So I have to hold him in my lap while I sit on the toilet and take the shoes, pants and pull-up off.  But still so much better than needing a changing table to put a diaper back on afterwards.

Cloud, mommy to her happy little Nimbus, born 11/09!
#5 of 7 Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll get a few trainers next month when we have a little more money. We have 4 blueberries right now, we pretty much save for when company is over thats uncomfotable with a naked toddler! ;P 

#6 of 7 Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM

We didn't do pure ec'ing with our ds. We would just put him on the potty every time his diaper was changed. From 5-18 months, 95% of poops were done in the potty and some pees. At 18 months, he stopped pooping in his potty altogether. At 21 months, we're still seeing this problem. My theory is that he's wanting a bit more privacy to do this, as he tends to hide behind chairs to poop. If he's bare bum, he now does great with pees.

i wonder if they just want more privacy at some point. I try to let him sit on his own on his potty when he sits there, just in case. So far, not much progress though. I think our childcar arrangement of different households hasn't helped either.

good to hear others experiences of just going to underwear and it working...I dont think we're personally there yet, but I will keep that in mind for the next few months.

sorry I can't share any suggestions as we're in the same place. Sometimes it's good to know we're not the only ones.

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#7 of 7 Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah its nice to know other hit similar bumps. But today he came running out of his playroom yelling (not words...) when he needed to poop and I helped him get on the potty just in time!!! This is the first time in a long time he made it to the potty, before pooping! 

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page