Any advice for first trip to the dentist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Headed to the dentist in the morning with my almost 3 yr old.  We've been talking a lot about the dentist and acting out a visit to the dentist to try and help prepare her.  I'm still afraid though that we're going to walk in there and she'll refuse to open her mouth or cry and cry and just want to leave.  How did it go on your first trip to the dentist? Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

We use a pedi dentist and the first few visits he had me hold her, facing inward and laying her head back into his lap. She was 2 when she started going. She just turned 3 and was comfortable enough at the last visit  to sit up in the chair and have her cleaning done. No full xrays until she is 4.

#3 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 05:12 PM

We have a wonderful family dentist, and they let him hold the tools, and squirt into a cup, then use the suction "mr thirsty" to suction the water. I did not have to hold him, and I did nothing the entire visit except sit back and watch.
#4 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was thinking of holding her on my lap.  Sounds like you both have great dentists, I hope my dentist is great with kids.  i love that idea of letting them explore the office first.  I might suggest that and hope she goes for it!  I'm not going to force anything.  I would just like the dentist to get a good look in her mouth and hopefully a basic cleaning. 

#5 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM

i also think that the parents level of comfort is going to mean a lot to the kid, so i would work hard on going in there assuming everything is going to be great and make that your reality! your kid will feel if you are holding them and waiting for the other shoe to drop the whole time.

Super~Single~Mama likes this.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#6 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM

We got a couple of books from the library about dentists.

We also went to a children's dentist. They basically specialize in making children comfortable.

The one we ended up going to actually had tv's on the ceiling above the kids chair. Our DD doesn't get screen time at home, so had NO PROBLEM cooperating and laying back with her mouth open to watch thomas the train. You could have it turned off if you like. But we didnt mind.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#7 of 12 Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Oh. Next time we will bring our DD's sunglasses. She doesn't like bright lights and it is difficult to keep the light out of their eyes during the exam.

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#8 of 12 Old 02-29-2012, 06:39 AM

My 3 year just went we used a Pediatric Dentist. The experience was awesome. The exam room was very kid friendly and surprisingly he did pretty well. I did have to hold him and they laid his head back in her lap. She was very gentle and explained everything. He did a great job.

Now, when it came time to do the x-ray, it was a completely different story....LOL

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#9 of 12 Old 02-29-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Well the visit went great!  She hasn't stopped talking about it since our visit yesterday morning.  Mostly she was excited about the toys they gave her,but also very proud of herself;)  The dentist didn't do much, just a short cleaning.  I did make an effort to be really relaxed and calm, you are totally right Adorkable.  The sunglasses is a great idea too!  Hope your x-ray visit goes well AKA_PI! 

#10 of 12 Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 AM

glad it went well, yeah sunglasses are great, i always bring them for my visits too! Probably really good idea that the first visit was light and not much done, it sets the stage for her to be happy going back.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#11 of 12 Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Just recently took my 3yr old for first appointment to a pediatric dentist. It was great, way better than I was expecting. We read some books (nonfiction and picture books) about going to the dentist for several weeks beforehand. While there, he was able to lay across my lap with his head in the dentist's lap and did remarkably well, no problems at all. He was thrilled to get all kinds of goodies when we left, too.

#12 of 12 Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 AM

Yay! I'm glad the first visit went well. I will definitely have to remember that sunglasses trick.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page