Is this normal 16 month boy behaviour? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first boy, so Im definitely not used to this!

My 16 month old has insane tantrums all day long where he throws himself backwards, smashing his head on the floor or tables, etc. Always covered in bruises.

All he does all day is follow his sisters, jumping on them, pulling their hair, hitting them, biting them, head butting them in the face.

Unless hes jumping on the furniture or table or desk...

Or watching blues clues on repeat.

Not interested in toys, books, balls or anything like that.

Arm flaps a lot when frustrated or excited

Does weird repetitive ankle and wrist rotations a lot of the time.

The other 30% of the time hes pretty happy, smiling, interactive, responds well to his name and knows 5 words.

I have an autistic daughter so Im easily triggered into reg-flagging behaviour that may in fact be normal.

Normal toddler boy?

#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 12:26 PM

To me sounds just a little more wild than normal. At this age I don't think I'd worry, if he isn't interested in more focused play in a few months you might want to look into it a little more. But the fact that he's happy/social/learning some of the time makes me think he's just a little more on the wild side. 

Is he the same when you are with him alone or is he more focused and calm? 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#3 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

The aggression would concern me, because I don't think that's normal for girls or boys.  Have you talked to his pediatrician about your concerns?

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think Ive ever been alone with him and our family doctor sucks and has always said that all of my kids are completely normal and fine in behaviour and development, even my autistic one who's been since diagnosed.

His bio father has some issues that Im really hoping he didnt genetically pass on.... I guess Ill just keep an eye out, thank you.

#5 of 8 Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 PM

This may seem like a weird question but what is his digestion like? Normal bowel movements? Any food reactions?

His behavior doesn't seem typical. I don't know if there is something going on inside that he doesn't know how to communicate what it is? My now 3yo son was very into cars, watching things outside, looking at books. Was active for sure and tends to be more laid back, but not "wild" as another poster termed it.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 8 Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

He is allergic to eggs and bowel movements? This might be too much info, but he eats non-stop and poops non-stop (2-4 times a day? ) and its anywhere from smush to rock-hard and has been all colours of the rainbow.

#7 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM

It seems like abnormal digestion in the sense that 1-2 soft but formed stools a day is a sign of healthy digestion. Loose stools and widely colored *can* indicate poor absorption and digestion which can lead to a host of issues, and it seems like in children who are too young to say what's wrong, it can manifest in behavior.  Especially since you said he reacts to eggs. And constipation is a sign of something off in digestion as well. We're on the GAPS diet so that's what made me think of it, because it treats the digestive system and can reverse food intolerances, and often, behavior that seems out of the ordinary tends to resolve. gaps.me has helpful info if you're interested.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 03:44 PM

well i have two 14.5 month old babes, a boy and a girl, so i can respond from that perspective (they are my only kids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaWhite View Post
My 16 month old has insane tantrums all day long where he throws himself backwards, smashing his head on the floor or tables, etc. Always covered in bruises.

makes me wonder how is sleeping is, could he be crinkly over tired, my play pals that have older siblings seem to have a lot harder time getting in proper naps then my friends without older kids.  my 14 m twins are still sleeping 2 naps a day about half the time, and i really notice the difference if  they do just one a day for more than a day or two in a row.  tantrums from time to time seem normal for any 16 month old regardless of sex, being mostly non verbal must be hard. my boy bumps his head forward to the floor when he is in despair about nearly anything, it is his go to reaction, and yes had a nearly constant light bruise there. but all day? do you really mean this? if so than i think that is totally not normal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComaWhite View Post

All he does all day is follow his sisters, jumping on them, pulling their hair, hitting them, biting them, head butting them in the face.

Unless hes jumping on the furniture or table or desk...

Or watching blues clues on repeat.

again my boy does all these jumping, hitting things in moderation to his sister, but it definitely not their main interaction, at times it is just how he shows her how happy he is that she woke up and will play now and that sort of thing, i have not seen it be an anger or mean thing. how old are his sisters, do they play with him or are they too busy just trying to get away from him?

in part it sounds like he needs some more focused active play, games that get him up and moving. they really recommend holding off on any tv time for a while longer, and while i can see both sides to this and i do let my babies watch sesame street type stuff from time to time when i need 5 minutes to do something. in your case i might worry it is interfeering with him finding ways to entertain himself and find things that he likes. 

Quote:

Not interested in toys, books, balls or anything like that.

this is actually the part that makes me wonder and kinda worry.  has he always been like this? does he play with them when people play with him?

Quote:

Arm flaps a lot when frustrated or excited

Does weird repetitive ankle and wrist rotations a lot of the time.

arm flapping seems par for the course around here, seems pretty normal for non verbal babies to use body gestures. if he does it a lot at age 3 that might be a different story.

not sure what to think about the ankle thing, but again makes me want to get him playing big physical games, might just be energy he needs to work out.

Quote:

The other 30% of the time hes pretty happy, smiling, interactive, responds well to his name and knows 5 words.

if you took a week and tracked him, do you think there would a pattern of time of day or relation to naps/meals/ exposure to other kids? might be surprising where patterns are. i use a iPhone app called Baby Connect to track things from time to time, it revels things that i just plain dont notice by my self and admist my busy life.

Quote:

I have an autistic daughter so Im easily triggered into reg-flagging behaviour that may in fact be normal.

i think in this case regardless of the meaning or cause, it is ok to think of this as outside of normal. i think its good to talk to folks and ask, just work on not jumping to conclusions.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Tags
Toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page