Some speech questions (2yo) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!  I usually don't post much about DD2 (26mos).. but I have a question.

DD2 is a late talker.  She started talking I'd say around 22mos?  By talking I mean saying more words than mama and daddy.  Her speech picked up around the time she turned 2 but we've reached a plateau, I think.  Right now she says a lot of words(not sure how many), and sentences are no longer than 4 words long.  She also *always refers to herself as "me" and others directly as "you" and others by name.

Examples:
"Me hungry." (I'm hungry) "Me jacket!" (My jacket) "Me fall down!" (I fell down!)

"You hat."   (Your hat)  

"Me" and "You" are the only pronouns she uses.  She will say "I love you" as a phrase but I don't think she really grasps that "I" is a pronoun referring to herself, yk?

Sentences are usually...
"Me looking fishy", "Me found fishy", "N hit me", "Me shoes on", etc.  

Is all of this normal for her age?  She is 2y2m old. 

My DD1 likely has some sort of ASD thing going on, but she started talking when she was 9 months old.  DD2 is very social but does likely have some sensory issues, but the total opposite of my DD1.  So I don't know.. anyone have a good website with speech milestones?  Or how it should progress once it has been started?  We talk a lot to her, and DD1 talks to her so she hears plenty correct use of pronouns.  Anything else I can do to help her out?  It seems that sometimes she stuggles to communicate.  Her speech is not yet (mostly) understood by anyone that isn't me, DD1, or DH.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 AM

My 25 month old is a pretty early talker, he knows a million words and his sentences are often 7 words.

He uses "I" sometimes, but often still says "My", like, "My love you!"  "My going to the store!" meaning I'm going to the store.

I googled, and this page

http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/growth/aaslm.html

shows "begins to use more pronouns such as "you," "I"

under 2-3 years.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  According to that she seems on track :)

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Totally normal. I'd say about half of the young toddlers (24-30 months) I care for say ''me'' and ''my'' instead of ''I''. DS2, who's 28 months, says mine alot (''mine'' build tower, ''mine'' eat now), and DS1 definitely did this until close to 3.

No worries, IMO.

Tags
Toddlers
User Tag List